Skip to main content
Topic: Cleaning Spectacles (Read 2165 times) previous topic - next topic

Cleaning Spectacles

I'm the proud owner of a new pair of spectacles, never had them before, never needed them before!

One thing that is driving me crazy is cleaning them, smudges are like a red rag to a bull and give me the sh1ts!

So I'm throwing the question open to the collective wisdom of our forum members, what is the best way to clean or keep your spectacles clean while still actually using them? I've already wrecked one pair of rimless beauties by plowing into a microscope eyepiece!

Please do not offer my sons wisdom, which was to just wait, up until my eyesight has deteriorated to the point I can no longer see the smudges!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Cleaning Spectacles

Reply #1
My struggle with glasses when I got them 20+ years ago was my first cricket net sessions.  I had been used to seeing a big blurry thing come at me.  All of a sudden it was a small round object.  Took me a while to adjust.

In terms of cleaning - depends what it is.  Often I just blow on them - gets them foggy and dry with a tissue.  You can get glass cleaner fluid from optometrists - spray one wipe off.  I also use toothpaste and an old toothbrush - scrub in wash off, dry.  If I can't be bothered, I just go around with dirty glasses.  Got used to not being able to see properly - trying to clean sweat/rain from glasses while playing sport is a disaster - makes them heaps worse, so just put up with it.

Sons suggestion does have merit! (but don't admit it to him)

Reply #2
windex.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
LP don't use tissues or any hard fabric, they'll scratch the lens.

I use soft clothes and the lens spray my optical seller issues me with.
Keeps em clean and free from scratches.

I've been a spectacle wearer for more years than not, I'm blind without them and smudges really give me the sh1ts!!! :o

Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #4
I'm the proud owner of a new pair of spectacles, never had them before, never needed them before!

One thing that is driving me crazy is cleaning them, smudges are like a red rag to a bull and give me the sh1ts!

So I'm throwing the question open to the collective wisdom of our forum members, what is the best way to clean or keep your spectacles clean while still actually using them? I've already wrecked one pair of rimless beauties by plowing into a microscope eyepiece!

Please do not offer my sons wisdom, which was to just wait, up until my eyesight has deteriorated to the point I can no longer see the smudges!

Your son is obviously a deep and practical thinker. Or, you could learn to handle them without getting smudges on them in the first place...  ;D ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
You do get used to the smudges and learn to ignore them eventually.  You can make your own spray with 60% isopropyl alcohol and 40% distilled water if you  are so inclined
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6

See, told you it would make you go blind...lol!!!!

Ask Jack Leach, he cleans them all the between deliveries.

Reply #7
Ive heard rain x works well.

Sorry I cant really help, my eyelashes are long and I tend to smudge glasses with them inadvertently.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
Spit ... and a soft cloth.  Did that for decades before going to contacts.  Cost = zero

Reply #9
I use a soft cloth that lives in my glasses case.  I often buy a couple at art gallery shops, etc.

For greasy finger marks and other smudges I use lens wipes that are impregnated with water and isopropyl alcohol.

Of course, as Cookie suggested, you could make your own mix of water and isopropyl alcohol or just use isopropyl alcohol spray from hardware shops.

Don’t use tissues, paper towel, handkerchiefs, t-shirts, etc.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
A small dab of liquid soap on each lens, front and back, spread with fingers, continue using fingers under warm water to clean the lens and dry with soft cloth. :)  :)  :)

Reply #11
You do get used to the smudges and learn to ignore them eventually.  You can make your own spray with 60% isopropyl alcohol and 40% distilled water if you  are so inclined

Ahhh yes, add one drop of Kodak wetting agent and you have the astronomers mix.

I've watched a technician in Tucson Arizona clean a 4m diameter mirror with that mix........... and a cotton bud! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Go down to John Barry's in Port Melbourne, ask for a bottle of Rosco lens cleaner and some packs of lens tissue, the ones they use to clean the prime lenses they use on movie cameras like Arri's. The Pros used canned compressed air to blow dust off first but you can use a blower brush....