Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2019, 08:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Formula 1  (Read 44895 times)

Online Gointocarlton

• Hall Of Fame
Re: Formula 1
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2018, 07:55:14 PM »
Really ? I thought he came across as a petulant, entitled little sh1t......which has been my take on him from the get go.

Maybe he'll mature one day.....but as someone who's followed motor racing for most of 40 years....and grew up listening to my Dad tell stories of watching the likes of Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Graeme Hill, Bruce McLaren etc. racing around country roads in Northern Tassie.......the current f1 drivers for the most part leave me completely cold.

Maybe it's generational thing....but most of them just have no sort of engaging personality whatsoever.  Riccardo excepted.
Agree 100% with the bold bit. FWIW, I dont like Ricciardo much either. He started off as your typical humble aussie sportsman in a world of fuel injected egos. He has quickly adapted and become one of them. For a bloke who has achieved two tenths of fark all (in terms of poles, wins and championships), he should get back to basics and STFU with the attitude. The champion drivers get down and dirty and help the team figure out problems with the car. Schumacher went to a dog of a team riddled with issues and worked his ass off to help get Ferrari back up to the top of the tree. Ricciardo chooses to sook up when the car breaks down and its why he'll never win a championship or be considered one of the all time greats.
2017 - Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Harder, Smarter. #ruthless
2018 - Could be a long year...
2019 - The Empire Strikes Back

Offline LP

• Hall Of Fame
  • Cold Blue Steel
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:56 AM »
Interesting to read Ricciardo's comments about being snubbed by Ferrari and Mercedes.

Ricciardo himself leaves it unstated, but it's pretty clear to F1 fans that this is more likely to be about the influence of the incumbents in those teams and not so much the choice of other drivers over Ricciardo.

Why would Vettel or Hamilton want any serious challenger when they can comfortably remain entrenched with a B-Grade team-mate, and why would those teams risk insulting those incumbents who bring in the big dollars?

In F1, money is the root of all evil!
The Force Awakens!

Online DJC

• Global Moderator
  • Hall Of Fame
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
I recently saw an interesting F1 trivia item.

The South African army has a remote control mine detection vehicle that uses wheels and tyres left over from the South African Grand Prix.  Apparently, the wide, smooth tyres distribute the weight of the vehicle so that it doesnít detonate mines or IEDs.

Can you imagine our armed forces, or those of our allies, making use of second hand kit, let alone in such an innovative way?

Thatís about the extent of my interest in F1 🙂
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be . . .

Offline LP

• Hall Of Fame
  • Cold Blue Steel
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
I recently saw an interesting F1 trivia item.

The South African army has a remote control mine detection vehicle that uses wheels and tyres left over from the South African Grand Prix.  Apparently, the wide, smooth tyres distribute the weight of the vehicle so that it doesnít detonate mines or IEDs.

Can you imagine our armed forces, or those of our allies, making use of second hand kit, let alone in such an innovative way?

Thatís about the extent of my interest in F1 🙂

I suspect it's not just the rubber but the carbon fibre rims, many modern IEDs targetting vehicles require both pressure and magnetic, they won't go off if your neighbours donkey steps on them! F1 would be a good source of cheap hardware for the researchers, because they make them so light a as a result relatively fragile they basically throw away the rims after a race due to the risk of fatigue failure.

I've worked in a group that did some of the R&D with Deakin Uni for a Geelong company called Carbon Evolution, and I know they have blast tested ruggidised versions for light transport vehicles like Troupies and the Hawkei / Bushmaster / Marauder type armoured trucks. You can read a bit here, http://www.carbonrev.com/motorsports
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:36:17 AM by LP »
The Force Awakens!

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 267648
  • Total Topics: 3734
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 698
  • (November 25, 2018, 09:26:52 PM)
Users Online