Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 436021 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #1455
I don't understand why SA is opening the border with NSW,  when the cases there are hovering around ten a day or so,  not much different to Victoria which remains in stage 4 lock down.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1456
We can discuss the politics and the politicians involved in all of this but we must also look into the public service and how well that is performing in terms of systems, people and technology in place to discharge its responsibilities,  in this case manage  a pandemic. I firmly believe it is sadly lacking and the problems we have witnessed are systemic.  Politicians should be focused on sorting them out as well as managing the current crisis and we, the public, should be kept fully informed and not lied to.

I wonder if this pandemic has woken up many to the reality of pandemics and their potential devastation. We hope that those who run the show have learned that public education & understanding becomes a priority along with future strategies to deal with another 'outbreak' swiftly and effectively. And there will be more.

Personally, I believe a national pandemic should be run out of Canberra and not by individual states. These things are much better handled when there is one centralised, co-ordinated message, that is strategically ready, informed and resourced. We need to be prepared, at all levels, for future pandemics. I hope we have learned that lesson.

The Federal Government has at its disposal the military and within the military there are highly ranked dudes who are trained, know and understand how to institute and manage/run a disciplined national strategy... advised and directed, of course, by senior, experienced, non-political medical/scientific personnel. Science loads the bullets, the military fires them whilst the govt of the day supports these folks and the community at large and is ultimately accountable - so you need a few ministers who bury partisan, ideological political crap and stand shoulder to shoulder with science, the military and the community to look after the entire nation.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1457
I hear people crapping on all the time about people not being in ICU during this crisis like thats all that matters.  Thing is, the ICU is no laughing matter, and just because they arent full, doesnt mean that if we let things go a bit further with COVID, they wouldnt be.

1.  ICU's are literally knife edge stuff.  If you are in one as a patient, you are either gone for all money, or are a slim chance of getting out alive.  They should be renamed Critical care units, but I think they don't want to panic people heading into them which is why they are branded ICU not CCU.

2.  The ICU's are not quick turnaround.  You dont go in one day, and then come out right as rain a couple of days after you aren't critical.  You go in on your death bed, and you end up in there for days on end in a life or death battle.  Sometimes the outcome of either can take days, weeks or months, and from what I understand we do quite well, but its no easy feat to be in an ICU.

3.  There arent as many ICU beds as everyone thinks there are.  I can tell you, that the network I work for, covers a very large catchment area, and based on additional spending we can maximise our ICU's at a grand total of 66 beds in 3 hospitals with emergency departments, and a host of others without any capability....  Food for thought, our catchment area is quite large and would have a couple of million people in it from Metropolitan Melbourne.

Sure, there are other options to flex into temporary setups, and private hospitals of which I am not aware of, but I can tell you now, that if the public understand that having 15+ patients in my network with covid is 25% of their capability to look after ANY patient requiring an ICU, then they might have a better understanding.  The ICU's are not generally packed, but they are never empty and from memory Ive never seen them less than 50% vacant at any one time.  I have only been into ICU few times during the COVID crisis, and on each occasion have seen at least a few COVID patients.  During this relatively mundane wave, there was a distinct panic about what it could potentially mean if things got out of hand with the exponential growth.

Food for thought.  Politicise this all you like, the hospital networks were struggling at one point, and there was some genuine issues with staffing the beds, irrespective of what people may have thought about hospital capacity.  Nurse to patient ratios are still a thing, and you cant open a bed if there is no one to look after the patient lying in there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1458
I hear people crapping on all the time about people not being in ICU during this crisis like thats all that matters.  Thing is, the ICU is no laughing matter, and just because they arent full, doesnt mean that if we let things go a bit further with COVID, they wouldnt be.

1.  ICU's are literally knife edge stuff.  If you are in one as a patient, you are either gone for all money, or are a slim chance of getting out alive.  They should be renamed Critical care units, but I think they don't want to panic people heading into them which is why they are branded ICU not CCU.

2.  The ICU's are not quick turnaround.  You dont go in one day, and then come out right as rain a couple of days after you aren't critical.  You go in on your death bed, and you end up in there for days on end in a life or death battle.  Sometimes the outcome of either can take days, weeks or months, and from what I understand we do quite well, but its no easy feat to be in an ICU.

3.  There arent as many ICU beds as everyone thinks there are.  I can tell you, that the network I work for, covers a very large catchment area, and based on additional spending we can maximise our ICU's at a grand total of 66 beds in 3 hospitals with emergency departments, and a host of others without any capability....  Food for thought, our catchment area is quite large and would have a couple of million people in it from Metropolitan Melbourne.

Sure, there are other options to flex into temporary setups, and private hospitals of which I am not aware of, but I can tell you now, that if the public understand that having 15+ patients in my network with covid is 25% of their capability to look after ANY patient requiring an ICU, then they might have a better understanding.  The ICU's are not generally packed, but they are never empty and from memory Ive never seen them less than 50% vacant at any one time.  I have only been into ICU few times during the COVID crisis, and on each occasion have seen at least a few COVID patients.  During this relatively mundane wave, there was a distinct panic about what it could potentially mean if things got out of hand with the exponential growth.

Food for thought.  Politicise this all you like, the hospital networks were struggling at one point, and there was some genuine issues with staffing the beds, irrespective of what people may have thought about hospital capacity.  Nurse to patient ratios are still a thing, and you cant open a bed if there is no one to look after the patient lying in there.

Important post. Further to my previous missive, as part of governments waking up to the reality of pandemics and instituting all that is needed to care for large numbers of ill folks, is to address hospital shortages and ENSURE we're ready for the next one, which could very well be much worse.

Reply #1459

Thry, Agree with all of that, older patients come in with routine illness/operations and some quickly develop Pneumonia and its off to ICU and most pass away with or without Covid. The public think that a ventilator is a guarantee to save your life and the easy fix is buy more ventilators, get more beds. If you are on a ventilator the odds are not good and ICU nurses dont grow on trees, they are specially trained, you just cant go and throw grad nurses into a ICU and expect them to cope.
Plus there are bad hospitals and even worse hospitals, the good ones are in short supply and the really bad ones usually exist in the less affluent areas and you also you need to be an advocate for your loved one, anyone who is 85 plus will be a DNR candidate and might not even make it to ICU.

Reply #1460
I don't understand why SA is opening the border with NSW,  when the cases there are hovering around ten a day or so,  not much different to Victoria which remains in stage 4 lock down.

Scott Morrison spoke a few weeks ago about moving away from locking down state borders and focusing more on regions. Like if Mildura were covid free why couldn't they travel to Adelaide just because Melbourne is stuffed?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1461
Its amazing how prevalent amnesia is in the Victorian government is, it has ravaged the place. Forget Covid sufferers filling hospital beds, they will be full of patients (Gov Officials) with severe memory loss. Only two left to front the enquiry, if they are ill as well, may need to call in troops to run the joint.  I always thought only OMG members or Gangsters suffered this condition. What a farken embarrassment!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1462

They Vic numbers will crossover soon (1st week of October) to the worst NSW numbers of the last few months (early August), but they are a fair way from NSW's current numbers of cases that are not returning travelers.
Victoria won't get to that stage until probably the 3rd week of October

Btw just another regional issue. The fact that Mildura has shutdown for this huge period of time, instead of implementing cross LGA checks with the police on the major roads is beyond me. Mildura hasn't had a case for 5 months, but was in the same level of lockdowns as Geelong.

This is another issue that really is not good enough. In reality Mildura would have been better if a bubble was created, complete with restrictions to other LGAs, but then negotiated access to NSW and SA. This would have allowed that economy to still thrive in this period, instead.. because of the bungling that has occurred elsewhere, the state government decided that regional Victoria was a "whole entity" and their economies would hang in the balance dependent on other regional areas. This seems quite ridiculous in hindsight.. I don't mind the original thought pattern behind this, but flexibility within the government should have shown up the issues such as the one described above and created solutions more specific to areas.

You would hope the government will come up with a much better process before a 3rd wave and the should already be constantly reviewing these scenarios
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #1463
Its amazing how prevalent amnesia is in the Victorian government is, it has ravaged the place. Forget Covid sufferers filling hospital beds, they will be full of patients (Gov Officials) with severe memory loss. Only two left to front the enquiry, if they are ill as well, may need to call in troops to run the joint.  I always thought only OMG members or Gangsters suffered this condition. What a farken embarrassment!!

Scary crap, hopefully Dan hasn't been infected and he can tell us all tomorrow what he remembers.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1464
Late last year I've went to the Alfred to visit a relative who just had bypass surgery, I'm not sure about current situation but the bulk of those those ICU wards and critical care beds were just not setup for COVID, and if they are full of COVID patients it's really bad news for people with other critical conditions! While my relative was in there a antibiotic resistant bug detected in one area caused havoc, pushing them into the corridors, and that was only affecting a couple of rooms and a couple of patients!

Which makes it quite plausible that people are dying because of COVID but without COVID, it's a feature of a pandemic that is easily overlooked by the general public but it's not lost to our health professionals!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1465
Late last year I've went to the Alfred to visit a relative who just had bypass surgery, I'm not sure about current situation but the bulk of those those ICU wards and critical care beds were just not setup for COVID, and if they are full of COVID patients it's really bad news for people with other critical conditions! While my relative was in there a antibiotic resistant bug detected in one area caused havoc, pushing them into the corridors, and that was only affecting a couple of rooms and a couple of patients!

Which makes it quite plausible that people are dying because of COVID but without COVID, it's a feature of a pandemic that is easily overlooked by the general public but it's not lost to our health professionals!

Particularly when people say "they're inflating the numbers".  Cause of death is flaky at the best of times.  My dad died of hematemisis as a result of liver failure, and his death certificate says re-activation of Hepatitis C.  Neither would have happened if not for his Chemotherapy treatment for a bone marrow transplant because he had Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia.

The outcome was the same, the cause of death the same, and the issue that killed him was a mere statistical anomaly.  Keep that in mind if anyone ever tells you about a high survival rate of some cancers, and a high death rate of others.  Its often not the cause of death, but it wont mean it wont kill you anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1466
Pretty disturbing chat with a client yesterday, could be a one off but apparently not. At her place of employ, a major retail outlet... let's say not too far from the MCG, blatantly and flagrantly and willfully disobeyed social distancing and mask wearing. She spoke up and said she would not disobey state directives - the remaining staff did... fear of losing their job - fortunately, because she is probably their best performer, she wasn't sacked but she worked from home. She told me the 'shop' was dobbed in a few times to the Health Dept and SFA happened. I reckon someone will dob them in, and other businesses who deliberately disobey, to the media... then it'll be on for young and old.

Reply #1467
Particularly when people say "they're inflating the numbers".  Cause of death is flaky at the best of times.  My dad died of liver failure, and his death certificate says re-activation of Hepatitis C.  Neither would have happened if not for his Chemotherapy treatment for a bone marrow transplant because he had Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia.
Sorry to hear that @Thryleon‍, very same thing happened to my uncle. I would not have been any the wiser except his son and daughter-in-law were both hospital nursing staff and gave me the background causes. Sure the liver failure caused his death, by it was a bunch of other failing health issues that impacted the liver in the first place. Of course even though they were not nursing him, they could read the charts and knew exactly what was happening. Which in someways was nice, and much better than burying your head in the sand or being oblivious. They could give the whole family forewarning and most of us got the opportunity to visit while my uncle was still lucid.

I tell you why this sort of honesty is important, apologies for the long read.

When I was in my late teens my father developed bowel cancer, it was already too late to do anything about it when it was detected, he was old school and you didn't go to the doctor until you were too ill to get out of bed. First lesson, if you are unwell for anything more than a passing moment, go to the doctor. When he was in hospital, palliative care, he would have his good and bad days, when he was good they'd send him home for a few days, when he got bad he'd go back into care for more intensive treatment. When in hospital I use to visit him everyday on the way home, I had to drive past his hospital to get home, the only time I wouldn't stop by was when I knew they would be letting him home either that evening or the next morning. Anyway, he'd call telling me when that was the case, which he did one day and as usual I drove right past. That was the last time I talked to him. The doctors and nurses knew he wasn't going home, even though he felt particularly well they could see it in the numbers, they knew something was different. I appreciate it was right of the staff not to bother him with that information, I got the call next morning at work he had passed away, fortunately they had rushed my mother into the hospital to be with him. They did the right thing by him, but I felt I was big enough to handle the news and I wouldn't have driven right past his hospital on the way home the night before, of course I never complained what is the point!

I feel the obfuscation by politicians is somewhat analogous, because COVID related deaths as opposed to dying of COVID is very very real, we are being treated a bit like we cannot deal with the reality. But imaginations can be worse than the reality, even if reality is stranger!

A lot of the protesters are just spoilt brats using their imagination, you can just tell they would be the ones who spit the dummy in my example above, you can just tell they'll be the ones wailing on the TV cameras if a relative dies of COVID! They are the cause not the cure, the real reason why the politicians obfuscate!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1468
So with the final day of questions in the inquiry.
You would think at least one of the following 2 statements must be true.
The Victorian government so incompetent that they run the most critical program in the states recent history with absolutely no insistence on accountability, record keeping etc?
The Victorian government lying?

Btw there is every chance if the government was a listed business and have this lack of detail for an inquiry, they would face being de-registered, receive huge fine and/or face potential criminal charges.

And this is all just on ONE element, the hotel bungling.
Interesting that they are not being forced to release some of their "secret data" around their modelling and decision making, data that they insisted was in the public interest to not release.

Government without accountability and transparency... Is this Australia or Belarus?
This inquiry to me proved that the government is about protecting it's own position above all else.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #1469
Nope, poor Dan has it too, goodness me. Call in the Army (pun intended).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time