Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Permutations: AFL 2020 R1 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 13161 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Permutations: AFL 2020 R1 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
We are now that dumb as a club we use our first pick in the last draft on a bloke that just did his acl and won’t even play this year.
We shouldn’t be expecting our top draft picks to be breaking into the senior team in their first year. Professional teams give them an apprenticeship. He’ll be built up nicely by the time next year comes around and would have been through a full and complete recovery, maybe honing skills along the way!! By all accounts he’s the real deal so let’s see him develop and not consider him a savior who isn’t available. 

Reply #16
We shouldn’t be expecting our top draft picks to be breaking into the senior team in their first year. Professional teams give them an apprenticeship. He’ll be built up nicely by the time next year comes around and would have been through a full and complete recovery, maybe honing skills along the way!! By all accounts he’s the real deal so let’s see him develop and not consider him a savior who isn’t available. 

Im not expecting a saviour from a kid but when you are in need of a boost and a boost in a hurry why select a player that has no chance to play till next year and one that already has a weakness with doing an acl. He will be at least one years development off everyone else taken in the same draft.

Do we have the list that has time to be that patient ? Surely there were other options that outweigh waiting a year before our pick gets his first look.  Bet you he would have been there with our second selection. Raised eyebrows on the night and still does imo.

Reply #17
Im not going to judge the players we just drafted. My issue is the ones that have been there 2,3, 4 and 5 years. So far, aside from a few, I am more on the disappointed side of the ledger.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
Which speaks to a reliance on hope more than warranted faith. 

Reply #19
It’s not the number we have it’s the lack of quality in it.

The names you mentioned apart from 3-4 don’t exactly put the fear of god in the opposition do they. Like many on here your clinging on to bloke you hope will become players but as the years go on those numbers will start dwinding.

Spin it any way you want but apart from weitering plowman Charlie and maybe McKay the rest are fails or jury out at best till this point.

Good luck hanging a seasons success on that group.

Point is you cannot hang your hat on them, nor rule them out from making it because only NOW are they starting to get to a stage in their development at which you can be certain one way or another.

Reply #20
Point is you cannot hang your hat on them, nor rule them out from making it because only NOW are they starting to get to a stage in their development at which you can be certain one way or another.

I agree with this but the point I’m trying to make is should we be in the position we find ourself in that in year 5 of a rebuild so much of our year depends on these kids taking a big leap.

Looks a lopsided list rather then a balanced one imo.

Reply #21
I agree with this but the point I’m trying to make is should we be in the position we find ourself in that in year 5 of a rebuild so much of our year depends on these kids taking a big leap. Looks a lopsided list rather then a balanced one imo.

Completely agree Shawny.  "One step up and two steps back" ... as The Boss sang

Reply #22

[/quote

Love the boss !!!

Geez I hope our hopes don’t play out as miserable as many of his ballads.

Reply #23
I agree with this but the point I’m trying to make is should we be in the position we find ourself in that in year 5 of a rebuild so much of our year depends on these kids taking a big leap.

Looks a lopsided list rather then a balanced one imo.

We haven't even played a real game this season folks!

Let's re assess after Rd 1?

Not having Marchbank Rd 1 is no real loss (given the other defenders we have).

SPS will come in and possibly O'Brien for Dow.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
I'll get in early! On the assumption there's no Curnow, McKay or Marchbank available for Round 1 (safe to assume on all of those), here's my team:

Plowman               Jones              Simpson
Newman               Weitering        Docherty
Fisher                    Murphy           Setterfield
Gibbons                McGovern       Martin
Betts                     Casboult          Silvagni

Kruezer, Cripps, Walsh

I/C: Dow, Curnow E, SPS, TDK

Quite a few of those lucky to get a gig but seriously, who else is there? Lang, Kennedy, O'Brien, Polson? Without Charlie and Harry I think we need Casboult permanently forward and give TDK a shot as backup ruckman. How they line up will vary but can't see many others forcing their way into the starting 22 based on the two practice games.

Reply #25
I would have Kennedy as a fwd line or midfield back up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
I like Paddy Dow as a prospect but I don't see how he can play round 1 given he has been poor pre season and 18 disposals@39% by foot DE vs the Lions isn't what we can afford vs Richmond who love turn over merchants and build their game around high pressure and rebounding off poor opposition disposals. He needs to be in the NB's fixing these issues and learning how to get more of the ball as he can't command a spot in the seniors with the stats he is producing.

Reply #27
Almost impossible to expect change when we pick up fringe players from bottom teams year after year at the trade table because for whatever reason we just can’t get any real proven talent in the door - doing that puts all the heat on the kids to elevate their game otherwise we just can’t improve.

Loins were able to add Neale and Cameron who are both AA players in year 3. we haven’t added anyone even remotely close to that quality since the rebuild started. Love to see how they would go if you replaced neale and Cameron with 2 fringe banana players from our list. Reckon then the results would almost be reversed which would show why our failures at the trade table will again yield failures on the field.

We miss on papely and then rejoice getting a 34 year old when we bang on year and after year we will not recruit older blokes. But have no room for Daisy who probably played his best season with us over Simpson who looks cooked and also decide to keep Lang and Polson and waste time on playing them in the practice matches. Stupid is too soft a word.

We are now that dumb as a club we use our first pick in the last draft on a bloke that just did his acl and won’t even play this year. Like that’s a move a top 2 team has the luxury of making not a farking bottom team. And there are still some on her that think that was a great move too.

I agree with everything you've said in this post mate.  Why do you think SOS got the arese?  Because he's sent us into a rebuild of a rebuild... and the Carlton Hierarchy KNOW IT

Reply #28
Hard to seriously discuss trading when using examples of players going home or making lifestyle choices ahead of commercial reasons, it's just not a valid example.

If we want to blame somebody look at the blokes who cut Robinson, Fevola, Garlett and Yarran because they were bad people and they(We/Carlton) wanted them to be somebody else's problem! The same people who claimed Betts wasn't worth an extra $50K/year!

You don't just recruit guys like Fevola and Betts because of what they give you on field 24x7, they might well play one good game in 10, but it's the effect they have on the club and membership as a whole that is more important.

Robinson, we had a club full of passives and we got rid of the only bloke who was willing to fly the flag because of a personal beef, moronic decision making. Unprofessional!

It's those decisions that eventually triggered a rebuild of a rebuild, after years of attempted patching!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
All things considered I would be happy to get within 6 goals in round 1. A blow out is not out of the question but it will cause the media and rightly so to hammer us so a highly competitive effort is what I’m looking for.

Us to scores over 75 points would also be nice but unlikely imo.

A lot will be resting on the shoulders of McGovern and casboult which is not ideal -
we can’t allow easy intercept marks in our F50 if we want to not get blow out.