Skip to main content
Topic: G mail and outlook (Read 2133 times) previous topic - next topic

G mail and outlook

Hopefully, there's an easy answer to this.  Have a close friend who uses gmail and just bought a W10 compatible version of Outlook (2007).

Is she "forced" to link gmail to outlook thru the add account feature?  I'm aiming to see her divorce her gmail.com stuff from a new outlook.com address and use both individually based upon her needs? 

I'm no idiot when it comes to PCs but this one's got me stuffed.  Thanks guys

Re: G mail and outlook

Reply #1
I've had good success on the Whirlpool forums asking computer / tech questions, so if you don't get any joy on here, that might be an option.

Reply #2
I've had good success on the Whirlpool forums asking computer / tech questions, so if you don't get any joy on here, that might be an option.

Nothing Paul ... tried that.  All they tell you is how to link them; the reverse of what I want

Reply #3
Nothing Paul ... tried that.  All they tell you is how to link them; the reverse of what I want

Ah ok. Apart from some Microsoft or Google forums, not sure where else you could go.

Reply #4
Hopefully, there's an easy answer to this.  Have a close friend who uses gmail and just bought a W10 compatible version of Outlook (2007).

Is she "forced" to link gmail to outlook thru the add account feature?  I'm aiming to see her divorce her gmail.com stuff from a new outlook.com address and use both individually based upon her needs? 

I'm no idiot when it comes to PCs but this one's got me stuffed.  Thanks guys
Ive added gmail to outlook, is that what youre asking?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
Ive added gmail to outlook, is that what youre asking?

No mate.  She needs a unique address for gmail (she has one already) as in [email protected] and another one for outlook she just bought as in joansmith@ outlook.com.  That is, do not add the gmail account to outlook but treat it as 2 distinct email addresses.

Reply #6
So I presume she wants two separate programs that she opens, rather than one program showing both mail accounts?

btw., The built in Outlook program for Win 10 doesn't "link" accounts, it just displays both accounts in the one pane but you have to click on them individually to read the content.

Note the Inbox of the highlighted Mailbox is displayed, they are not all displayed together.

If I select a different account different messages are shown.

If for some security reason she wants to keep one account private, for example she uses her computer to share and work with children, colleagues, students or clients, it might be easier to just have two different logins. One she uses collaboratively and one that is private. It just means having two login names and two passwords. It's a good strategy for mums who share devices, they can have a Mum login and also MyName login.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
So I presume she wants two separate programs that she opens, rather than one program showing both mail accounts?

btw., The built in Outlook program for Win 10 doesn't "link" accounts, it just displays both accounts in the one pane but you have to click on them individually to read the content.

Note the Inbox of the highlighted Mailbox is displayed, they are not all displayed together.

If for some security reason she wants to keep one account private, for example she uses her computer to share and work with children, colleagues, students or clients, it might be easier to just have two different logins. One she uses collaboratively and one that is private. It just means having two login names and two passwords. It's a good strategy for mums who share devices, they can have a Mum login and also MyName login.

Great LP ... that's exactly what I'm thinking.  In her case of course, two desktop icons and two email programs isolated from each other given it's outlook 2007 not the W10 one .

Case over ... :))

Thank you all

Reply #8
Great LP ... that's exactly what I'm thinking.  In her case of course, two desktop icons and two email programs isolated from each other given it's outlook 2007 not the W10 one .

Case over ... :))

Thank you all

btw., I'd be advising a $99/year Office365 Personal subscription. The main reason is it's up to date Office software, very secure, and suited for Win 10.

But importantly you also get 1TB of cloud storage while you have that subscription active, this means you can safely backup a lot of stuff to the cloud and a stolen or broken PC is no longer a problem!

If you are really good friends, get the $129/year family subscription and share it. You get accounts for up to 6 people with 1TB each of storage, I know some single friends who do this they each get up to date Office and 1TB for about $20/year! You need one person to volunteer as the primary account holder. Not sure it fits within the software license but MS do not block it from happening.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
LP ... She's in the UK and I'm always telling her the repetitive licence is not the best option when she can own the program (Outlook 2007 - 2 installs) outright which she now does.  She's anything but a power user and her email backups are critical.

Reply #10
Is there something i am missing with this.

Can you not simply bookmark both sites and use them as you desire?
Or is this about getting instant notifications?

Reply #11
Is there something i am missing with this.

Can you not simply bookmark both sites and use them as you desire?
Or is this about getting instant notifications?
Sounds like she doesn't want or like webmail, but it's worth keeping in mind she could use one in the desktop program and the other in a browser.

Tough gig to get this sorted remotely, but now she has Win 10 it's dead easy to get her to send Capcom a Remote Assistance request by email and let Capcom help her via the interwebs. 
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Can’t you have two email addresses running in Thunderbird ?
I’ve got my business and a hotmail acc running in mine.
In the same pane, select either address to see what’s there.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #13
Not sure of the circumstance, for an elderly relative another good option is to configure the device in kiosk mode. Basically it makes it far harder for a hacker or some nefarious type to gain control of the end users account, because every-time you cycle the power the machine reverts to a known state. Stuff like email and documents folders can be configured to be persistent, so they survive the reboot.

There can be other issues, like people who reside in assisted living, how do they preserve privacy and security of a device that keeps them in touch with remote family and friends?

Modern Win 10 devices can make use of Windows Hello and Pin numbers for local login, this can greatly simplify login and switching accounts across multiple profiles. Win 10 is very very good at managing multiple accounts/profiles, you can switch profiles in a few seconds. For example, you're a music tutor, you've one device(tablet or laptop) that want to use with students, you do not need to lock the device if you are momentarily distracted because you can setup to use a specific dedicated profile during a music class, that profile holds no personal data, and for your private stuff a separate profile for all your banking and personal accounts.

There are lots of good solutions, but you really need to consider them in the context of the end user.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Yet again, thanks to you all.  She's managed to setup the two addresses but her UK ISP (btinternet) has been woeful in offering any assistance and by her own admission, she's slow on the uptake.  Lovely lady but I grew up with DOS and she's just about Windows 3.1 level.

You did nail it LP .... it is a hard gig but I persevere.  To her credit, I walked her thru backing her stuff to an external, but only after telling her she'd lose all her data if she didn't if her HDD failed.   She at least got that right, bought one and did it.  There is hope yet :)