Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Richmond at Ikon - Sat 3:10 (Read 3532 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Richmond at Ikon - Sat 3:10

Reply #30
@crashlander‍  Thanks for the report, it's always good to get live feedback as the broadcast shows such a limited field of view.

Jess Hosking got votes off me for this game, primarily I thought her efforts early kept us in the game when the rest of the team looked to be running at half pace. It was a bizarre game, it looked like we had a big Friday night and were still hungover!

I can't believe how many of our girls broke from stoppages and ran the wrong way, is that a sign something is up with the team?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I think last year was very debilitating for a lot of people and that being the best version of yourself is tricky.

The girls are hardly pros as well.  It makes it tough for the entire competition.   It would also take a bit of a hit to have been robbed at a flag chance in your second consecutive grand final by calling the season last year and confidence might be 3/4 of the issue.  It will be interesting to see how the girls respond from here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
I can't believe how many of our girls broke from stoppages and ran the wrong way, is that a sign something is up with the team?
Realistically, it only happened once.

Egan ran the other way from stoppages many times, but all but 1 were on purpose. The one that wasn't was on the far wing....and it was in the first minute of the quarter. I've done that before.  :-*

Reply #33
Realistically, it only happened once.

Egan ran the other way from stoppages many times, but all but 1 were on purpose. The one that wasn't was on the far wing....and it was in the first minute of the quarter. I've done that before.  :-*
I'm not sure it was only once that wasn't deliberate for Egan, and Prespakis did it as well(She was the first), team-mates signalled to them to change direction, there was a 3rd but I'm not sure who the player was so I won't name anyone in case I slander someone.

Interested to know if @crashlander noticed these events.

It sort of sticks in the memory because it's something you generally see so very rarely, perhaps once per team per season, and I think we had at least three in this one game!

btw., I'm not punishing them for it, it happens especially to mids who get knocked around a bit, and Nthmond tried hard to play brutal footy, but it's perhaps a warning sign that we weren't switched on and ready for the intensity Nthmond brought.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
It's interesting that the coaches' votes went to Vescio, Prespakis and Harrington.  I don't think any of the keen observers here had Kerryn in their votes.

I just had a quick look at the game again and Kerryn was effective, gave her opponent limited opportunities and got some important possessions at crucial times.  She was also very noticeable in her encouragement of her teammates and influencing the tempo of the game.  Votes for a captain's game?  I think so.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
It's interesting that the coaches' votes went to Vescio, Prespakis and Harrington.  I don't think any of the keen observers here had Kerryn in their votes.

I just had a quick look at the game again and Kerryn was effective, gave her opponent limited opportunities and got some important possessions at crucial times.  She was also very noticeable in her encouragement of her teammates and influencing the tempo of the game.  Votes for a captain's game?  I think so.

I noticed that too.

She is always good and stops her opponent more often than not.
She is still up to the dominant standard she provided last year that earned her a spot in the AA team.

Similarly, a week (or 2?) ago, Gee got coaches votes and i think i was the only one who gave her votes  ;D

I tend to keep an eye on the votes and as a group we are pretty bang on each week. This Harrington one is by far the biggest oversight we've had as a group.

Reply #36
I tend to keep an eye on the votes and as a group we are pretty bang on each week. This Harrington one is by far the biggest oversight we've had as a group.
Coaches often penalise players for mistakes, so you get kids like Egan that got a heap of footy but made a couple of clangers not getting votes. Harrington played a solid game, especially early, and didn't make too many mistakes. But I can't claim she had the same impact on the result as Prespakis, Egan or Hosking. That's why when I thought about giving Wilson, Harrington and Vescio 1 vote but didn't because it would be wrong to cut one of the others out, the three I voted for kept us in the game when the rest of the team wasn't playing well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Tigers haven't won a game......ever.

But, they are not a poor side. They have plenty of talented players, they just haven't played enough together.

They nearly beat the pies last week and played very well today. Given the short season, they won't make finals this year, but put your money on them for next year because they will make finals. Nobody knows who they play next week, but they will win against 80% of the league despite their record.
Nailed it!

Looking at the score from tonights game.

40 points up at the start of the last quarter.

Cats had 1 scoring shot so far.  :-*

Reply #38
Nailed it!

Looking at the score from tonights game.

40 points up at the start of the last quarter.

Cats had 1 scoring shot so far.  :-*

I just hope we play the Cats soon. :) :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
I just hope we play the Cats soon. :) :)

The longer they go without a win, the more of a 'danger game' the cats will become.

BTW.....its not down to 'dumb luck' that there are 2 games this week where both teams are yet to win a game. (Cats vs Tigers and Eagles vs Suns) and i reckon the Cats will play the loser of the other game next week. The AFL doesn't want to see 4 teams with donuts down the bottom of the ladder.

And its not surprise to see the 2 undefeated teams play against eachother this week either (Pies vs Dockers). EDIT: They must've changed this game from what i saw announced initially. Now its Pies vs Dees and Dockers vs Lions. Covid related?

What's the bet the AFL will come out and say how 'even' the comp is in the next couple of weeks after doctoring the fixtures to facilitate this.