Skip to main content
Topic: Parks and Fog's, is Curly's boy the Real Gem? (Read 3494 times) previous topic - next topic

Parks and Fog's, is Curly's boy the Real Gem?

I expect this to be an ongoing discussion but Austin is getting some early runs on the board finding some rare diamonds in Fogerty and Parks who cost us nothing at the trade table.

Re: Parks and Fog's, is Curly's boy the Real Gem?

Reply #1
Parks is very early.

Fog has a bit of the ed curnows about him when he first came over.

A little rough around the edges but can play Nf plays a good brand.

Ed was like that until that st. Kilda match where he did his shoulder and we out him back on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Parks is very early.

Fog has a bit of the ed curnows about him when he first came over.

A little rough around the edges but can play Nf plays a good brand.

Ed was like that until that st. Kilda match where he did his shoulder and we out him back on.
Agreed.

Fogarty; We have to remember Fogarty was cruelled by repeat injuries not through a lack of ability. Like Carrazzo, Fogarty was one the Handbaggers wanted to keep to bolster their stocks, but he couldn't get on the park often enough to displace the regulars with his limited game time. Let's hope his run of bad luck is behind him!

Parks; Game count = 1
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Parks is very early.

I know I'm jumping the gun here. Its more about what it says about their recruitment. Our recent history of finding diamonds in the rough is a sad tale and even finding diamonds in amongst the jewels ( early draft picks ) is not looking to good at all with LOB, Dow and Cunningham looking shakey.

Reply #4
Pretty happy with the recruiting this year. ;)

Reply #5
Agree Lods.....Saad and Williams have been solid and will only get better. Fogarty is the surprise packet and Parks didn't look out of his depth at all last week. Only Round 3 but that's not a bad haul compared to some earlier years. We just need to get McGovern fit and in form. If we can stay relatively injury free for awhile and then get Fish/Martin/TDK/Newman ready to go, it'll be a lot healthier.

Just glad we didn't blow the bank on someone like a Hannaberry....just read he's done another calf...the other one. That 4 year deal the Saints offered him on big coin had bad news written all over it...he was busted up well and truly by then.

Reply #6
Fog in particular looks the good, tackles like he means it, very creative with ball in hand. In the 3 games, I reckon just about every time he touched the footy, we scored.

As for Parksy, he certainly didn't look like a first gamer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
I expect this to be an ongoing discussion but Austin is getting some early runs on the board finding some rare diamonds in Fogerty and Parks who cost us nothing at the trade table.

There is something about Parkes' looks that reminds me of Ken Hunter with a bit of Pearce thrown in.

Reply #8
Fogarty has come from a good system and probably only lacked opportunity but its still early days but is ahead of a lot of other midfield candidates on our list.
Parks did some good things but Freo are not a yardstick team and I have reservations about his kicking under pressure.
Saad...been top shelf, defended, attacked with dash and can hit targets under pressure......tick.
Williams....started well vs Collingwood but then faded and got ragged with his kicking think it was 20 disposals @50%.
Vs Freo he was using the ball well but got a knock and that seemed to restrict him.
He is probably the key player out of all of new recruits as he is playing in a main midfield role and we need him getting plenty of ball so he can use those kicking skills. IMO he needs to be getting 25-30 possies a game with a DE% of 75% plus to be earning his money. He needs time to develop as its a new FT role for him in the midfield and also build a bond with his other mids and learn how they play so we will see how goes and its probably more fair to judge him around the middle of the season.

Reply #9
And Newnes last year...picked up for basically nothing....has his limitations but was very consistent last season and hit the scoreboard regularly. Was ordinary against Richmond but been solid again since...his kick to spot up Gibbons for the last goal of the game against Freo was superb.

For years we seemed to recruit some very ordinary players from other clubs but finally seem to have hit the mark.

Reply #10
Newnes I'm not such a big fan of. Does go missing against the better teams and is not quite quick enough.

Parks... and I know this is an early call.... but he looks like an inspired pick.

Jack Carroll also looks like a steal (even earlier call there).

Fogarty is now my favourite player. He's the tackler we've been waiting for... great kick too.

As for Cunningham, LOB and Dow - there is still hope there but even if they all fail everyone knows there are no guarantees - even in the first round. You put Walsh, Weit, Curnow, Harry, Fisher, Dekoning, JSOS, etc. in the win column and there will definitely be a few in the loss column.

But with Williams, Saad, Martin, Fog, etc. taking spots there's not that many left over for the young guys.

Reply #11
I thought Newnes was a SOS selection ?

Reply #12
He was PP....just saying it wasn't a bad pickup given we didn't have to give up anything at all to get him. We had a few years of getting burnt with pickups like Mullet, Kerridge, Smedts, Lang etc.

Reply #13
He was PP....just saying it wasn't a bad pickup given we didn't have to give up anything at all to get him. We had a few years of getting burnt with pickups like Mullet, Kerridge, Smedts, Lang etc.

Fair enough. Those other names you mention were picked up during the rebuild days, intended to be as cheap as chips and equally expendable. Hard, seasoned bodies to give the kids a chop out for a short time whilst they developed. Dubious idea, appalling recruiting.

Reply #14

Early call, but so far so good.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17