Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 4040 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
Newnes, Setterfield and Cottrell all preferred to Dow with Kennedy out??

Unless Newnes is about to blossom into an A-grader, for a club woefully short of pace right now I just don’t understand the rationale.

Reply #46

Unless Newnes is about to blossom into an A-grader, for a club woefully short of pace right now I just don’t understand the rationale.
Kennedy is injured: 'knee soreness' the reason on the Carlton website.
To be honest, I would have played Dow, but ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #47

I don't get Newnes keeping his spot over a couple of others, either. Though Dow's game is not strong defensively whereas Newnes is better in that department... only reason I can think of.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #48
Think I read Newnes had 10 scoring involvements vs Port, bit of a quiet achiever...

Reply #49
I don’t think any of the 22 from the game against Port played poorly enough to lose their place, particularly when no-one in the VFL put their hand up.

Despite some of the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth, it’s hard to identify a player who lowered their colours against Port.

I think that Newnes is a short to medium term option but, on form, he keeps his place in the team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
I don’t think any of the 22 from the game against Port played poorly enough to lose their place, particularly when no-one in the VFL put their hand up.

Despite some of the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth, it’s hard to identify a player who lowered their colours against Port.

I think that Newnes is a short to medium term option but, on form, he keeps his place in the team.
I would have dropped Parks for Plowman...Setterfields game didnt impress me either but as you say not a lot of challengers from the VFL team.

Reply #51
This will be another very tough match, the Dockers have a very good emerging list and are starting to get some serious momentum going.

Pull off this win over there and we can be very pleased & proud. Losing this one will not be a black mark against us either as long as we fight it out from the first bounce to the final siren.

Context is everything this weekend.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #52
Think I read Newnes had 10 scoring involvements vs Port, bit of a quiet achiever...

That’s a real surprise and fingers crossed that he does it again

I don’t mind Newnes, but wouldn’t even consider him ahead of Dow. If we have our eye on a premiership, we need Dow to emerge at AFL level, breaking lines.

Reply #53
I would prefer the King in as a second ruck but not sure who to take out for team balance.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #54
A bit of a slap in the face for TdK. The coaches would prefer to go in with no backup ruckman rather than selecting him. Given we face 2 legit ruckmen, that's a pretty clear assessment of where he's at.

Reply #55
I hope we don't look back on Saturday night and think "the game was lost at the selection table"?

Lobb will be just way too tall for Silvagni in the ruck....will just have to hope our mids can rove to Lobb's taps.

I would've had Dow in there purely for his pace factor at Optus. It's one clear advantage the Dockers have over us.

Setterfield's 50th game so I can see that as the only reason he's got another chance.

And agree with other sentiment around Plowman over Parks for this one.

Reply #56
A bit of a slap in the face for TdK. The coaches would prefer to go in with no backup ruckman rather than selecting him. Given we face 2 legit ruckmen, that's a pretty clear assessment of where he's at.

Not really.

Its probably more about where Freo's ruck is at than not.  Darcy was one of the dominant rucks last year so we have 2 options.

1.  Pittonet to compete and win/break even. 

2.  Rove to a losing ruckman, and use an alternate means of winning the game.

TDK might be good enough to win the ruck duals, but he isnt a 4 quarter ruckman.

At this stage, this option appears to be planning for the worst, and hoping for the best.  Going with TDK is planning to hope for the best.  He was a bit lost playing forward at the moment, and we are better off with other options in there and going with a different look.  We also have Lewis Young as an option if we need one. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #57
It's OK - TDK is playing and JSOS isn't....

Reply #58
It's OK - TDK is playing and JSOS isn't....

Just read that. SOJ minor sprain of the ankle, hopefully okay for next week. Plowman joins the emergencies.

TDK... this is your chance, grasp it big fella.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
Does that mean Dow is Med emergency?