Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Richmond (Read 4218 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
BUT I do believe some teams use dirty tactics to sway the umpiring - Richmond and Cats - every time arms in the air looking at the umpires in disbelief whether it’s a close call or not. Every time complaining to them after every opportunity

That makes a difference! I hate seeing it but they do it all the time

Also the exaggerated throw the head back etc - staging. Bet we won’t see that Prick reiwoldt fined for it tho!
It's no accident both teams have miraculously come good after all the off-field whinging kiboshed the umpiring dissent rules.

Dimma and Scott are the King and Prince of the Whingers, every press conference, every door stop, is used to influence officialdom in some way to favour their team or disadvantage the opposition. It's no use people being in denial about it, and taking the higher road just puts your own club at a disadvantage. If you are not working for success on every available attack surface you are not working at all!

When you watch a game like last night, and see continual push in the back infringements going unpunished, just keep in mind Dimma's comments, "FFS, just let them play!" He basically badgered the AFL into ignoring infringements from Dusty, Grimes and others and used the Nthmond success as a platform to tip the playing surface in their favour.

Free kick Dawks or Free Kick Nthmond is not just about free kicks, it's about all the infringements they get away with as well!

The AFL tried to kibosh the practise via the dissent rules, and then the whingers won again by effectively complaining the rule out of implementation! Now Riewioldt is back to his begging best, arms out sooking, approaching umpires at the breaks, pestering without remorse or conscience.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Sorry to dampen all your hopes guys but lets be realistic and take off those rosey color glasses for a minute please.   We just lost to a side that is not even in the 8!   Those who are pumping up LOB- he had 0 tackles.  He's rubbish.  Fisher the same.  Thats why we conceded 70+ inside 50's.  We need tough wingmen, not soft coc@! who run up the wing getting the odd kick and looking good.  Cotrell is, was and always will be a spud.  You cannot polish a turd.  Durden (big one) the same.  Also Walsh.  We all love him but have you seen his meters gained this year?  It's putrid.  He is disposal seeking, then giving it off too quick to avoid contact.  Needs to get that out of his game because it is costing us.  Kennedy very poor in the wet.  Went up and down on the Heavy 10 track like the thing I backed at Flemington in the last on Saturday which is still comming.  Needs to work on his running, if that is genetically possible.  Well Cripps did it so maybe he can otherwise he will be delisted next contract.    Martin is a thief and should be delisted also to make way for Amon at the end of the year.   My final comment will piss people off, but i am happy to revist and requote at the end of the year for those who are going to abuse me now.  Here it is:  "We will not make finals in 2022" after losing this pathetic game to Richmond.  I'm serious.  We need 4 more wins.  Where are they comming from ?  Maybe WC is one.  Maybe.  Adelaide?  Good luck with that on their ground.  Rest of them... doubtful.    We had an easy draw and bathed in the glory. 

Too critical and harsh there IBWT old son. To a man our boys gave their all and I didn't see any who didn't, nor did I see any 'spuds' wearing the navy blue. Errors, departing from 'our way' and some inconsistency from a few were costly and disappointing. I have absolutely no doubt that in previous years we'd have been spanked. We met a very good and experienced side who've hit form and are at near full strength. We'll learn plenty from that outing, especially how to play in the wet and what to do when an opponent clamps your strengths.

I have absolute confidence in this list and our coaching group to address what was lacking in the first qtr and a half, and institute effective measures. Inconsistency is our enemy not talent or endeavour, and that's about adherence to our way and concentration/focus. There is no way our coaching group, especially the Vossmeister, will allow or tolerate us being found out for toughness.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
Forgive me Father for I have sinned.

What was your sin my child?

I 🙏 prayed to the Lord
That Master Bolton would smack into the goalpost while he was poking his tongue at The Doc. I prayed that he would "knock himself out" In the literal meaning of the phrase. That is my sin confessed and I seek your forgiveness ✨️

What comes next Bluebaggers 😉

PS
Not intended to disrespect any person referred to as Father.
Interestingly I woke during the night and this was circulating in my wonderful wired web of grey matter 😵‍💫
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #48
Disappointed but we didn't play that badly I thought. Richmond played the kamikazee style from the get go and it seemed to me we were slow to react. Seriously some of their hacks forward just found blokes just sitting there. Is that skill or luck? Not unhappy with our form just disappointed. Think we can beat Freo next week under the roof.
Postscript: Boyd seems seems to be travelling ok at the moment. Maybe early impressions were premature?

Re Boyd. A trier with a laser kick. That pass to space to Harry was just unreal. He has done that a few times in the last couple of weeks, so can see what they see in him. At the moment he is a bit light and as was mentioned by the club he has done a power of work on his body to get it up to AFL standard. A couple of pre-seasons in the gym and he could become a very handy player. He and McGovern with thier kicking out of the backline could be a real strength of ours in the future.

Also LOB had the ball on the 50 and Boyd was screaming for it to his left. i'd say Boyd would of kicked if LOB had passed it to him. Instead it went to front of the square and was killed.

Reply #49
Small forward is the hardest position to play on the field. Need to stop blaming them after every loss.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Re Boyd. A trier with a laser kick. That pass to space to Harry was just unreal. He has done that a few times in the last couple of weeks, so can see what they see in him. At the moment he is a bit light and as was mentioned by the club he has done a power of work on his body to get it up to AFL standard. A couple of pre-seasons in the gym and he could become a very handy player. He and McGovern with thier kicking out of the backline could be a real strength of ours in the future.

Also LOB had the ball on the 50 and Boyd was screaming for it to his left. i'd say Boyd would of kicked if LOB had passed it to him. Instead it went to front of the square and was killed.

Yep I wrote off Boyd on his first game, but what I have seen since is really changing my mind.  Was in our top 5 performers last night, and is a good type of player to have on the cusp of your 22.  He is a good size (needs to get a bit stronger in the contest) but takes 0 backwards steps, has pace, and can kick it well.  He gets found out contesting at the moment, but not through lack of want (like Lachie O'Brien who seems to avoid physical contact at times).   Boyd was one of a few keeping us in it for the first few quarters which is a testament to his mentality.  I am now a believer. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #51
@Baggers
Articulate thoughtful supporters post as usual 👍

To this  I'd add
Inconsistency is our enemy not talent or endeavour, and that's about adherence to our way and concentration/focus. There is no way our coaching group, especially the Vossmeister, will allow or tolerate us being found out for toughness.

Inconsistency is our challenge. It's what drives every moment on and off the field

To sustain adherence we must either:
A. Rely on luck
B. Have consistency

For mine, B will be the main determinant.... aka the team / line playing together regularly. There of  ourse needs to be depth to support a degree (not 12 of 40) of flexibility

Let the show go on.
Gi Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52
Who would have guessed that a team that has had 3 senior coaches in the last 5 years looks a bit inconsisent?

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
It's no accident both teams have miraculously come good after all the off-field whinging kiboshed the umpiring dissent rules.

Dimma and Scott are the King and Prince of the Whingers, every press conference, every door stop, is used to influence officialdom in some way to favour their team or disadvantage the opposition. It's no use people being in denial about it, and taking the higher road just puts your own club at a disadvantage. If you are not working for success on every available attack surface you are not working at all!

When you watch a game like last night, and see continual push in the back infringements going unpunished, just keep in mind Dimma's comments, "FFS, just let them play!" He basically badgered the AFL into ignoring infringement from Dusty, Grimes and others and used the Nthmond success as a platform to tip the playing surface in their favour.

Free kick Dawks or Free Kick Nthmond is not just about free kicks, it's about all the infringements they get away with as well!

The AFL tried to kibosh the practise via the dissent rules, and then the whingers won again by effectively complaining the rule out of implementation! Now Riewioldt is back to his begging best, arms out sooking, approaching umpires at the breaks, pestering without remorse or conscience.

Normally I'd disagree, but the effect was quite noticeable last night.  FWIW, the Tigers played a very unsociable brand, and were called up on it in round 1, and unfortunately the umps went the other way last night.

HOWEVER, come finals time, they will umpire more like they did last night than not.  I do wish they would cut out the playing of the man not the ball crap though.  I lost count of how many of our players got tackled without the footy.

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
Re LOB’s 0 tackle count, I’m not sure I’d be basing too many arguments on published stats. What exactly is a tackle according to the statisticians? If it’s any tackle, including where the tackled player is able to dispose of it, then fair enough. If it’s only where the tackled player is caught holding the ball or a ball-up results, then that’s too restrictive in my book. Should a player who tackles once and forces a ball up be rated more highly than a player who tackles 10 times and forces rushed disposals?

Edit: According to Champion Data: “ Tackle: Using physical contact to prevent an opponent getting an effective disposal. Tackle Efficiency: Percentage of physical pressure acts that lead to an effective tackle.”

That seems much narrower than I think it should be. Presumably, a dribbled handball that is picked up by a team mate means no tackle stat is awarded. That’s an issue for wingers as they are mostly called on to attempt open field tackles on players who’ve been fed the ball. Pressuring them is a priority but usually the target will get the ball off in some fashion. On the other hand, inside mids and defenders are much more likely to be able to tackle a player before he’s had much chance to figure out what to do with it. An inside mid will try to make the play by bullocking through tackles while working in a phone box and the forward will risk being caught with the ball in an attempt to get a snap away.

Even small forwards are better placed to be awarded tackles as they’re able to run down defenders from behind as they’re trying to look for an open team mate, for example Durdin who was hardly tackled but the tackle forced the kick to go straight to an opponent who kicked a goal.

Strangely enough, the Champion Data definition seems to extend to a bump which results in an ineffective disposal even when there was no attempt to tackle.

Reply #55
Small forward is the hardest position to play on the field. Need to stop blaming them after every loss.
Agreed.

We got smashed in the center, despite being roughly 50/50 on the taps. because it's not about taps and never was.

It's about management of where the ball falls statistically, you can lose the tap and still control where it goes, half the time TDK was winning the tap and mostly hitting it where Nankervis wanted it to go. It's the difference between an experienced ruck and a beginner.

What was more disappointing, is we are full of experienced midfielders and yet we failed dismally to pick up on this for pretty much 80% of the match.

Charlie needs to do something besides chest marks, he had Grimes locked out of the contest much of the time and left the door open by trying to chest mark. Maybe Charlie needs to do like Riewoldt and wear gloves in the wet to encourage marking some of the footy out front!

BigH is a another level above most others as a KPF.

Dimma wouldn't be taking much out of that game other than a win, as there were some dire signs present in a result against a team limping around on 1/2-rat power.

Personally, in recent weeks we are seeing the opposition templates to defeat us now, they've had time to digest the Voss game plan. Speed on the spread and lots of physical pressure, it's just basics really but it works against us by preventing our midfield dominance. If we don't win the footy at the stoppages the likes of Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy, etc, etc., are out of the contest and we suffer accordingly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Sorry to dampen all your hopes guys but lets be realistic and take off those rosey color glasses for a minute please.   We just lost to a side that is not even in the 8!   Those who are pumping up LOB- he had 0 tackles.  He's rubbish.  Fisher the same.  Thats why we conceded 70+ inside 50's.  We need tough wingmen, not soft coc@! who run up the wing getting the odd kick and looking good.  Cotrell is, was and always will be a spud.  You cannot polish a turd.  Durden (big one) the same.  Also Walsh.  We all love him but have you seen his meters gained this year?  It's putrid.  He is disposal seeking, then giving it off too quick to avoid contact.  Needs to get that out of his game because it is costing us.  Kennedy very poor in the wet.  Went up and down on the Heavy 10 track like the thing I backed at Flemington in the last on Saturday which is still comming.  Needs to work on his running, if that is genetically possible.  Well Cripps did it so maybe he can otherwise he will be delisted next contract.    Martin is a thief and should be delisted also to make way for Amon at the end of the year.   My final comment will piss people off, but i am happy to revist and requote at the end of the year for those who are going to abuse me now.  Here it is:  "We will not make finals in 2022" after losing this pathetic game to Richmond.  I'm serious.  We need 4 more wins.  Where are they comming from ?  Maybe WC is one.  Maybe.  Adelaide?  Good luck with that on their ground.  Rest of them... doubtful.    We had an easy draw and bathed in the glory. 
Where's the delete button??

Reply #57
One of the worst umpiring decisions last night was when one of our players ( I think it was Cripps) was penalsied 50m for not handing the ball back straight away.
I'm not sure how he could have done that as the Richmond player was walking back to take his kick with his back turned.

It was Curnow and Grimes and Grimes had his back to Curnow right up until the umpire paid the 50.

I’m normally pretty calm when watching the footy on TV but I scared the dogs at that moment.

Curnow should have piffed the ball at the back of Grimes’s head 😡
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
Well, that was disappointing; another game that we should have won, and probably would have if  we hadn’t had the wind taken out of our sails by a goal umpiring decision.

We can take some comfort from the fact were almost at full strength and we were missing some key personnel.

I can now see what the MC must have seen in Jordan Boyd.  He played a great game and his endeavour, energy and application couldn’t be faulted.  Well done young man!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #59
Big credit to the recruiters for finding AFL quality players like Young, Hewett and Boyd over past year at close to no cost. Please keep this up and shows money bag recruitment has no place other than top tiers like Cerra and Saad or work hard to find hidden gems. I am sorry but LOB is far too weak in the contest and need a replacement. Fisher is up and down alot probably the most inconsistent player on the list. But encouraged that Vossy said our list isn't complete yet and bring in his type of players that are relentlessly hard at the contest