Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast (Read 5200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
Quote from: Inboltswetrust on June 17, 2022, 10:03:20 am
My final comment will piss people off, but i am happy to revisit and requote at the end of the year for those who are going to abuse me now.  Here it is:  "We will not make finals in 2022" after losing this pathetic game to Richmond.  I'm serious.  We need 4 more wins.  Where are they coming from ?  Maybe WC is one.  Maybe.  Adelaide?  Good luck with that on their ground.  Rest of them... doubtful.    We had an easy draw and bathed in the glory. 
2 more to go.
Yep, after the Geelong game we have Adelaide and the Giants. Win those and we’re finals bound. Even just 1 more win might see us through if we protect our percentage.

St Kilda is 2 games behind us while WB, PA & GC are 3 games behind with only 6 games to go. We have a better percentage than all of them, so you can add another game to our lead. (Yes, it’s always possible that 100 point wins or losses might change that, but banking on bridging the percentage gap is usually wishful thinking as it would be if we dreamed of catching up with Brisbane’s percentage).

Let’s give us just 1 more win for the year but assume our percentage will stay above the 4 chasers. Then St Kilda would need to win 4 of its remaining 6 while WB, PA & GC would need to win 5 of their upcoming games to get ahead of us. They may all fall short as they face top 8 sides or each other:

StK: Dogs, Cats, Lions, Swans (bearing in mind they’ve won only 1 out of their last 5, being last week’s debacle😔)
WB: Saints, Dees, Cats, Freo
PA: Dees, Cats, Pies, Tigers
GC: Bombers, Lions, Cats.

There’s a fair chance those 4 teams will find it hard to gain traction.

Reply #46
Hewett is amazing to watch. He's got that very low centre of gravity by the looks...can turn and twist and hardly ever loses his feet or gets caught with it. He's been an amazing pick up for us.

Reply #47
It was a win-win for Carlton and Sydney. Talking to Sydney fans, they aren’t sooking that Hewett left. They want to see Warner developed in the midfield as they see him as the next big thing. In that sense, Hewett was a list clogger. Apart from that issue, whether because of their midfield setup or a lack of imagination, the Swans played him as a lockdown tagger and Hewett obviously felt that he had more to offer.

Picking up Hewett has been a similar sort of thing to the Suns picking up Levi Casboult. Suns fans (if there is such a thing) would be celebrating our stupidity in letting him go. Although he would have been a welcome backup after Pitt went down, we needed to get time into Charlie, H, JSOS & TdK in the F50 so Levi was worth more to the Suns than he was to us.

Reply #48
we beat a bottom side good but what concerns me we still go long bomb straight to H and C against top side they will defend better and we turn the ball over ,need to share load to take next step

Reply #49
we beat a bottom side good but what concerns me we still go long bomb straight to H and C against top side they will defend better and we turn the ball over ,need to share load to take next step

When your two key forwards are clunking almost everything that comes their way and our crumbers are feasting on the balls that come to ground, why wouldn't you bomb the ball long?

In fact, most of our inside 50s were honouring leads or chip kicks to a player in space and I think that we have the mix pretty right.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
It was a win-win for Carlton and Sydney. Talking to Sydney fans, they aren’t sooking that Hewett left. They want to see Warner developed in the midfield as they see him as the next big thing. In that sense, Hewett was a list clogger. Apart from that issue, whether because of their midfield setup or a lack of imagination, the Swans played him as a lockdown tagger and Hewett obviously felt that he had more to offer.
Yes, they might be re-writing history a little there. As you highlight he hardly spent time in the midfield, but when he did he was as good as any. I remember a game against the Dees when he and Newman dominated, the season before Newman moved to us. But like Newman before him, Hewett got side-lined in the Swans midfield pecking order.

Newman moved to us to become a serviceable defender, and Hewett is a rolled gold midfielder / utility.

But I still assert, in our current midfield the sum is greater than the parts, they have a genuine footy chemistry going, because of that if they stick together they have serious opportunities coming their way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
But that’s the thing: Hewett complements our other mids but maybe that wasn’t going to happen in Sydney as they developed younger mids. A similar thing was true of Brodie at Gold Coast. He’s a very capable in-and-under at Freo but what sort of opportunity could he have been given at Gold Coast when Matt Rowell was always going to given that role? Playing too many in-and-unders slows you down too much and you end up losing the ability to burst away from packs, rack up uncontested possessions and the defensive pressure the midfield applies drops. It would have been the same outcome at Carlton if we had taken Brodie in the draft. Playing both Brodie and Cripps at centre square bounces wouldn’t have been ideal. So it’s not whether a player is worthy in absolute terms, it’s whether he fits into your game plan.

Reply #52
Yea, friends with a Swans diehard who was filthy at the club for letting Hewett go.

Reply #53
I'm not sure if either of these have been mentioned but there were a couple of little moments that gave me an indication that this is a real 'team' who acknowledge the good and console the not so good.
One was when Curnow kicked a goal after a good bit of lead-up (chase and kick) from McKay.
As McKay came to embrace him Curnow pointed at him as if to say this is the bloke responsible for that goal.

The other was when Cripps made a bad blue and Jack gave him a quick talking and encouragement probably saying something along the lines of.... "Don't worry lets, get on with it."

We used to worry about leadership.
We don't need to worry anymore.
We have it on every line.

Reply #54
I liked Saads game and it shows why is he is such a good footballer that he could sacrifice his own game to concentrate on defending the likes of the dangerous Ryan and Rioli.
Been value for dollar has Saad which is more than I can say for a few other notable signings and if the AA panel dont select him in the final 22 then they dont have a clue...
Yes indeed, its amazing how the inclusion of key a defender completely changes the both structures and roles. I felt it Weiters inclusion to be "The General" released Doc more than past weeks to provide run and delivery which allowed Saad to stay at home and lock down on a fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
I'm not sure if either of these have been mentioned but there were a couple of little moments that gave me an indication that this is a real 'team' who acknowledge the good and console the not so good.
One was when Curnow kicked a goal after a good bit of lead-up (chase and kick) fro McKay.
As McKay came to embrace him Curnow pointed at him as if to say this is the bloke responsible for that goal.

The other was when Cripps made a bad blue and Jack gave him a quick talking and encouragement probably saying something along the lines of.... "Don't worry lets, get on with it."

Yep. 2 very good examples there.

It highlights 2 things to me.

1. The importance put on rewarding those who give effort with acknowledgement of such things. Why would you bust your butt to do the team things if nobody notices? Point it out, highlight it, and players will do it again and again.

2. Nobody, not even the captain is above criticism and/or in need of picking up. One in all in.

There was also another moment, this one by the commentators that i liked.
It was in reference to Cripps and Walsh and the Batman and Robin tag thats been used for them. Basically saying "we don't know if its batman and robin, or robin and batman. It should be Lennon + McCartney as they are both elite.

Reply #56
He did help us out with a few turnovers and non chases so we probably owed him.....

😂
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #57
One was when Curnow kicked a goal after a good bit of lead-up (chase and kick) from McKay.

I think that Vossy’s “How can I be a better teammate?” mantra has made a significant difference.

The raw material was there, it just needed a coach who knows how to build team culture.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
I think that Vossy’s “How can I be a better teammate?” mantra has made a significant difference.

The raw material was there, it just needed a coach who knows how to build team culture.

Yes, the turnaround in team culture is amazing and in a way highlights where the problems probably lay during the struggle years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Spot on DJC....the Voss stamp on things is pretty clear IMHO. He was a ruthless competitor. Saw Chris Scott on The Front Bar a couple of weeks back and he said as much when asked about who was the best of the Lions in those years. It's strange when you think back to late last year when all the talk was about who would be coach. I wasn't sold on Voss at the time but geez he hasn't done much wrong. There's still a few things to be ironed out but when you consider the players that we've had unavailable throughout the year, it's a pretty good result to be one game off the top of the ladder. I think 11 wins is on a par with 2013 and we've still got 6 games to go.