Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast (Read 5160 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #75
Voss needed to do an apprenticeship which he missed out on by getting the Lions gig too early.  The years under Hinkley at Port Adelaide, while they were contenders, have been instrumental in creating the coach we have now.
Agree

Reply #76
Lethal is also a big advocate for potential coaches to go and learn the trade through an apprenticeship away from the club you played for, that's two things Voss had running against him in his first gig, he never served an apprenticeship and he walked straight into the top job at the club he had played for with zero experience.

Much like Tim Watson did with St Kilda. Doomed to failure. Strong personalities who think that they can just turn into a coach without any sort of experience in the coaching caper.

Reply #77
I think a bit of the indifference towards Voss last year stemmed for the fact that some may have still regarded him as that young Brisbane coach, fresh from playing.
He would have grown and learned a lot in the subsequent years.
Like players, you develop with the experience.

The successful Carlton coach was always going to have a bit of luck attached to it.
The right man, in the right place, with the right list, at the right time.
We're not totally there yet, but there's every indication that the 'planets might just have aligned' to produce that outcome.

I'm chewing deep into my humble pie after what I said about his appointment.. .haha.

Reply #78
I'm chewing deep into my humble pie after what I said about his appointment.. .haha.

The thread discussing 'potential coaches' from this time last year makes for some pretty funny reading in hindsight.
 ;D

Reply #79
The thread discussing 'potential coaches' from this time last year makes for some pretty funny reading in hindsight.
 ;D

I think I called Voss was the coach I wanted in that thread.  Can we resuss it so I can slap myself on the back? ;D
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
Carlton Coach 2022 (New Poll)

Wow, 122 pages. Voss was announced as coach on page 108.

Reply #81

I was also very lukewarm about Vossy getting the gig and saw him as the consolation prize! Very pleased I got that so wrong.  🤪
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
 Consolidation prize works well in this context  :)

Reply #83
 ;D

Yes, you’d imagine that there would be some red-faced posters after re-reading that thread.  As is often the case, IBWT should win the award for the most ludicrous and malicious posts.

Good on Jim for admitting his humble pie diet 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Consolidation prize works well in this context  :)
Oops! Bloody predictive text.🤒
Fixed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
Happy to admit I was with you on having concerns about Voss being appointed and I still say he was a last man standing pick all be it looking like a great choice now at this stage but until that next premiership cup is in the glass cabinet at Ikon Park, I'll just keep the humble Pie in the Pie warmer for a bit longer before I take my first bite.
I want make sure it isnt another False dawn or a bit of dead cat bounce, you look at Essendon and the Bulldogs who both played finals last season but couldnt deliver this season and the jury is out still on the medium to long term. I also want to see if Brian Cook lasts the distance with us as well and if he left before the next GF appearance what effect that would have as imho he is more important than the coach.

Reply #87

Can be strangely delicious that..
Having a serve myself after doubting our chances v WC 😂
Enjoy
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #88
Can be strangely delicious that..
Having a serve myself after doubting our chances v WC 😂
Enjoy

If you have any left over LN, give me a slice please.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
Found my post
Maybe this appraisal could be re-visited in 12 months. I'm still not convinced he's the best man for the job, but that's just the cynic in me,
Talk about sitting on the fence.  ::)