Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9966 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #105
Membrey usually destroys us.
Yes much like Stringer, we have nobody the right size with enough pace to go with those fast mid-sized forwards.

Which makes it critical for our midfield to win and stop the easy entries into the opposition F50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Is this a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency moment justifying naming Dow to give us some speed out of the centre bounce?

Reply #107
Is this a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency moment justifying naming Dow to give us some speed out of the centre bounce?

If he chase and tackles - absolutely.

Reply #108
Dow in, possibly for Hewett who has been outta form since he came back into the side.

If Saad and McGovern don't get up, then Plowman probably stays in and one of Cincotta or Kemp come in....possibly both.

Surely Honey goes out.

Reply #109
..       and potentially Mirkov.

If you think DeKoning got 'ragdolled' last week, triple it if they decide to play Mircov. He got 60 hits out against midgets in the twos last week and still did nothing around the ground.  Pencil in for 2024 at the earliest!!

Reply #110
If you think DeKoning got 'ragdolled' last week, triple it if they decide to play Mircov. He got 60 hits out against midgets in the twos last week and still did nothing around the ground.  Pencil in for 2024 at the earliest!!
I suspect fans are just going off the stats, if he gets selected you know the coaches are as well! :o

It was probably the least effective 51 taps I have ever seen, we scrapped across the line against a depleted opposition despite winning the taps about 3:1.

The problem is the taps stats are a completely bogus measure of ruck work, it's like judging players based on steps taken!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
Any news on The Pitts eye. Knowing our luck he probably needs major surgery.

Filth won without a ruckman against thr Aints but they have midfielders who put in...

Reply #112
Dow in, possibly for Hewett who has been outta form since he came back into the side.

If Saad and McGovern don't get up, then Plowman probably stays in and one of Cincotta or Kemp come in....possibly both.

Surely Honey goes out.
Plowman and Honey cannot possibly stay in, surely.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #113
You will need a break glass emergency for Dow given how Stkilda play....dont think repeated contested footy Ross the Boss scrum style is his go.....in and under contested players who can scratch, bite and nail tackles is the formula.
Collingwood are not exactly slow and have a lot of midfield depth but just hung on..maybe Dow as the sub might work...

Reply #114
Funny thing is I think we have the midfield depth - I think our midfield is far better - they just havent been playing well. Our midfield is all over the shop.
Is it set up, is it form, is it instruction, are we one trick pony's in the middle and opposition has figured us out and don't have a plan B? - time will tell but they need to start improving and get back to how they were playing last year.

Reply #115
Yes much like Stringer, we have nobody the right size with enough pace to go with those fast mid-sized forwards.

Which makes it critical for our midfield to win and stop the easy entries into the opposition F50.
We do, he's just never available due to injury.
Gov has the speed and aerial ability to go woth these types. We just need him to play.
Marchbank is another who is suited to these types.
I'd look at giving Kemp a crack.

Reply #116
Funny thing is I think we have the midfield depth - I think our midfield is far better - they just havent been playing well. Our midfield is all over the shop.
Is it set up, is it form, is it instruction, are we one trick pony's in the middle and opposition has figured us out and don't have a plan B? - time will tell but they need to start improving and get back to how they were playing last year.
Midfield has had a far from ideal preparation in the off-season.
We've obviously just got Walsh back.
Hewitt had his issues.
Pittonet hasn't got back to match fitness yet from his extended layoff.
I think cerra had some issues as well.
Kennedy has had recent issues.

If we can keep the groupnsomewhat for from here, we'll see a much better unit in a month or 2 with some more games under their belts.

Just as an aside.....SOJ got more clearances than those players mentioned above playing backup ruck. Yet people fixate on his (poor?) game, but all those midfielders barely rate a mention for their weak efforts by comparison.

Reply #117
Midfield has had a far from ideal preparation in the off-season.
We've obviously just got Walsh back.
Hewitt had his issues.
Pittonet hasn't got back to match fitness yet from his extended layoff.
I think cerra had some issues as well.
Kennedy has had recent issues.

If we can keep the groupnsomewhat for from here, we'll see a much better unit in a month or 2 with some more games under their belts.

Just as an aside.....SOJ got more clearances than those players mentioned above playing backup ruck. Yet people fixate on his (poor?) game, but all those midfielders barely rate a mention for their weak efforts by comparison.

When we start making excuses for blokes and the club, K, we're in trouble. The Aints have some key personnel missing yet are sitting on top of the ladder. And you can bet they've got some blokes playing sore... as has every club.

Re JSOS. Some of us have removed the rose coloured glasses. His form this year has been spasmodic. Some of his turnovers have been howlers, handing back the aggot to the opposition. He's not holding his marks and foot disposal has been not to his usual standard. It may well be that his ideal position on the field has yet to be found. Midfielder? Defender?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118
I'd look at giving Kemp a crack.
I like Kemp, but I think we have made an error trying to turn him into a HB, he's got size and agility but either he's not particularly strong in the contests or perhaps he lacks the aggression needed to go toe to toe with the bigger bodies.

For me it's quite sad seeing the Crows do what they did to our midfield last Thursday, and knowing we had a bloke like Kemp in the Cripps size range that has serious midfield utility and acceleration, and we've consigned him to a support role.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
I like Kemp, but I think we have made an error trying to turn him into a HB, he's got size and agility but either he's not particularly strong in the contests or perhaps he lacks the aggression needed to go toe to toe with the bigger bodies.

For me it's quite sad seeing the Crows do what they did to our midfield last Thursday, and knowing we had a bloke like Kemp in the Cripps size range that has serious midfield utility and acceleration, and we've consigned him to a support role.

Kemp doesn't lack aggression, Spotted One.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17