Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
Martin may have had 8 touches but that got him 53 supercoach points. He has an impact and he clearly isn't anywhere near full fitness.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
Martin may have had 8 touches but that got him 53 supercoach points. He has an impact and he clearly isn't anywhere near full fitness.

Thats the problem, he's NEVER at full fitness.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
Maybe this is his gig, being the F50 impact player we nurse through 3/4 of a game.

He could be our Gary Rohan type, missing for 3/4 then turns the game in a 1/4 of effort.

Like him or not, when he is up and about Martin brings a significant point of difference to just about every other player on our list. I get the cynics, but if we are going to carry someone on the list it might as well be someone who can actually make a difference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
Maybe this is his gig, being the F50 impact player we nurse through 3/4 of a game.

He could be our Gary Rohan type, missing for 3/4 then turns the game in a 1/4 of effort.

Like him or not, when he is up and about Martin brings a significant point of difference to just about every other player on our list. I get the cynics, but if we are going to carry someone on the list it might as well be someone who can actually make a difference.

I would expect Martin to be playing four quarters after the bye.  If he does, and if he does manage to play all of our remaining games, I would be offering him a contract extension.  As you say LP, he does bring a significant point of difference and he demands a decent defender and that's one less for Charlie and Harry to beat.

Another injury and I suspect that it will be game over.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
I'd qualify that as another long term injury, all players get injuries, the type of injury matters doesn't it?

If he breaks down with an impact free soft tissue injury, then it might be bad luck for him, if he cops an impact injury in a physical contest I'm not sure he can blamed for that.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
Tend to agree with you LP.....Martin is a low possession/high impact sort of player and offers a point of difference to other small/medium sized forwards on our list. It's just frustrating that he's had such a sustained injury run every year. And the comparison with Rohan is a good one.....saw again last night how much impact Rohan can have (literally) on a game with not a whole lot of possessions.

Reply #81

If he was as good as Gary Rohan I wouldn't have a problem but he isn't even close and if we offer Martin another contract then we are truly fecked list management wise and won't get anywhere.

Reply #82

So pay him a 3/4 salary.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83
I would expect Martin to be playing four quarters after the bye.  If he does, and if he does manage to play all of our remaining games, I would be offering him a contract extension.  As you say LP, he does bring a significant point of difference and he demands a decent defender and that's one less for Charlie and Harry to beat.

Mate he wont play every remaining game Ill give you the tip.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84
So pay him a 3/4 salary.
I don't mind that, as long as it is applied as a rule unambiguously without favour.

So for example, Charlie only played about 3/5ths of the available games, Hewett's missed about 1/4 of the available games, Doc has missed about 1/5th of games .............................. ! :o

Do we really want to go down that track, or are some players special?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
I don't mind that, as long as it is applied as a rule unambiguously without favour.

So for example, Charlie only played about 3/5ths of the available games, Hewett's missed about 1/4 of the available games, Doc has missed about 1/5th of games .............................. ! :o

Do we really want to go down that track, or are some players special?
No, so fark Martin off at the end of this debacle of contract (sooner if possible).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86
No, so fark Martin off at the end of this debacle of contract (sooner if possible).

If the season ended now and he was out of contract no one would argue with that. I would delist Cunningham and Marchbank as well. 
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
Dominator, Jim Buckley, The Hyphen, Mike Fitzpatrick, Alex Marcou, Fraser Brown, all missed lots of games for various reasons from suspension to injury, but they were crucial parts of flag winning moments when they got themselves right on the right day!

It happens.

I would be seriously questioning our list logic if for example we kybosh Martin and keep say a Marchbank, and I'm not even counting the players who can't make the cut even though they are fit, and we have several!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
Doesn't Martin have another year?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #89
If the season ended now and he was out of contract no one would argue with that. I would delist Cunningham and Marchbank as well. 
I would have agreed with that 100% until I saw Cunningham's last game in the 2's. He has lightning speed and clean hands and isn't on a lucrative contract. If he stays injury free and plays every game and improves every time, I would consider a 1 to 2 year deal for him not unreasonable. Marchbank is an utter lister clogger and must be shown the door.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th