Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 45961 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #120
I don't think Waite is under the pump at all.

He was mishandled by Opp yesterday.

Dont think Waite was too interested and didnt get out of second gear...Tippet did well but Waite wasnt trying that hard either.

Reply #121
Bootsma, while still on the slight side, has definitely put on a bit of meat around the upper body, looked good for it.

Does your TV have one of those 'whacky mirror' screens, 'cos he looked absolutely no different physically, except for some new inkwork on his right forearm....possibly to try to make himself look tougher....I'm trying hard to say that with a straight face.....

X2

Reply #122
I reckon we'll win more games with Bell and Robinson in the 22 than we will if they're out.

Bell and Robinson may butcher the ball more often than our outside players but that goes with the territory.  Their hardness and attack on the ball more than makes up for a few poor disposals.

As for who misses out on a spot in the 22 if we're at full strength, Scotland, Carrazzo and Menzel would have to be behind Bell and Robinson.

Of course, it's great that we now have genuine options and competition for spots in the 22.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #123
I think Norf are still just a bunch of scrubbers that try hard. A lot of one paced blue collar types. I thought we looked a class above even with the score line .

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #124
I think Norf are still just a bunch of scrubbers that try hard. A lot of one paced blue collar types. I thought we looked a class above even with the score line .

Spot on, from what I saw we easily 'controlled' the game up until the last quarter.....

All this carp in the papers re Dal Santo....meh, glad we didn't go near him, he is not the future.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #125
Speaking of Bell, it's only 1st practice game but what's been noticeable in his last 2 seasons, is that's it's taken him a good part of each season to get his frame into a level of fitness that enables him to play at physical intensity that suites his game style. Seems to have prepared himself well this year, appears ready and able to take it on from get go to o. 
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #126
Bootsma, while still on the slight side, has definitely put on a bit of meat around the upper body, looked good for it.

Does your TV have one of those 'whacky mirror' screens, 'cos he looked absolutely no different physically, except for some new inkwork on his right forearm....possibly to try to make himself look tougher....I'm trying hard to say that with a straight face.....

Have to agree. Terrible use of the ball as well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #127

Have to agree. Terrible use of the ball as well.

Also agree. Hard to find positives for Bootsma. When up forward looked completely lost. Looked more at home in defence but even then his kicking disposal was not good. Hard to see who he could keep out of the backline!

The Warnock / Wood contest will be really interesting. Wood needs to improve his rucking, especially around the boundary but as a resting ruckman up forward is far more likely to take marks and convert.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #128
The only way to assess the game is in terms of weighing the positives and negatives. Overall I reckon we had a lot more positives than negatives.

A big team positive was our intent at the contest and our tackling pressure. This has been a huge weakness previously, and we looked much better. Plenty of good signs from some the kids - Cripps didn't look out of place at all, Menzel is pure class, Buckley showed real ferocity in the backline and could provide some cover there, Bell is still improving and has plenty of upside and Cachia is now a very solid midfield backup. Watson played with more intensity and confidence, and Rowe battled hard against a bloke who has destroyed us in the past.

McLean looked superfit, Everitt looks capable of being a great trade, Tuohy looked great and Curnow is now a running machine. Gibbs and Murph got some game time under their belt without getting out of second gear.

Everyone got through without any injury concerns, and it feels like we have better depth and potential in the kids now that the deadwood has been moved on.

The negatives was our ability to control the ball and utilise our clearance strength. To beat the strong defensive teams we need to be much better at moving and controlling the ball. Bootsma, Lucas and Casboult disappointed me - not going to hang them on one performance but their was a lot of 'same old stuff' from all three. Watching Lucas compared to Ryan Bastinac from the same draft brings tears to the eye. Bootsma is a complete mystery to me - his skill level, reading of the play and intensity seem no where near ALF level for mine. Casboult did a couple of nice things but has no consistency in his output.

Oh, and the shockingly inconsistent umpiring against us, especially rewarding good tackles, and the North Melbourne love from all the commentators and media.........

Reply #129
Curnow is now a running machine

Has always been a running machine, now has the mental confidence to back himself and choose the right option.....

Going to be interesting to see how we fit all the mids in the team now i.e. Judd, Carrots, Simmo all 'usually' walk up starts.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
The only way to assess the game is in terms of weighing the positives and negatives. Overall I reckon we had a lot more positives than negatives.

A big team positive was our intent at the contest and our tackling pressure. This has been a huge weakness previously, and we looked much better. Plenty of good signs from some the kids - Cripps didn't look out of place at all, Menzel is pure class, Buckley showed real ferocity in the backline and could provide some cover there, Bell is still improving and has plenty of upside and Cachia is now a very solid midfield backup. Watson played with more intensity and confidence, and Rowe battled hard against a bloke who has destroyed us in the past.

McLean looked superfit, Everitt looks capable of being a great trade, Tuohy looked great and Curnow is now a running machine. Gibbs and Murph got some game time under their belt without getting out of second gear.

Everyone got through without any injury concerns, and it feels like we have better depth and potential in the kids now that the deadwood has been moved on.

The negatives was our ability to control the ball and utilise our clearance strength. To beat the strong defensive teams we need to be much better at moving and controlling the ball. Bootsma, Lucas and Casboult disappointed me - not going to hang them on one performance but their was a lot of 'same old stuff' from all three. Watching Lucas compared to Ryan Bastinac from the same draft brings tears to the eye. Bootsma is a complete mystery to me - his skill level, reading of the play and intensity seem no where near ALF level for mine. Casboult did a couple of nice things but has no consistency in his output.

Oh, and the shockingly inconsistent umpiring against us, especially rewarding good tackles, and the North Melbourne love from all the commentators and media.........

Bootsma's confidence seems shot. He was clearly introverted type from the beginning, but over the last 12 months i reckon he's played as if isolated. Am not suggesting in any way the team has isolated him, rather that he plays as if its a one on one game, when he loses a contest his head drops and you can feel his disappointment. He seems like a good kid, willing to get on with the job. I often find my self wishing he'd let fly with a swear gesture, or a punch his fist into the air, something that represents some raw emotion. He appears to be the embodiment of the clubs once apparent and deliberate chase for the quiet, humble, easily shaped persona. It Frustrates the heck out me at times, but I hope he gets through it.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #131
I agree re Bootsma. I don't want to hang the kid on one game, but he just looks like he doesn't believe, and is scared of making a mistake. He appears hesitant when the ball is in his area and you can almost feel his lack of confidence. There was a huge difference when compared to the way Buckley, Menzel and Cripps all appeared confident and assured when the ball was in their area. They all attacked the ball with aggression and confidence. Watson also appeared to me to be much better in this area also.

Like everyone I hope he gets through it, but I just don't see what his 'weapon' is to succeed at this level. Being tall with long arms isn't enough - you need to also be a great reader of the play, strong with poise under pressure to be a 'one on on'e defender, and you need speed, skill, confidence and good game awareness to be a 'running rebound' defender.

Reply #132
I agree re Bootsma. I don't want to hang the kid on one game.....
You and none of us are, it's the collective of all the games he's played thus far. Yesterday's game was a carbon copy of every game he's played......the outlook isn't good.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #133
Dunno, Bootsma's last qtr was very good IMO. Before not so but I have him ahead of McInnes and White. He needs muscle it must be said but to me his confidence grew in that last qtr when he took McInnes' spot as the 3rd tall. We probably need one of these blokes to take that role, or Giles, to allow both Everitt and Walker to swing between half-back and half-forward and not get dragged back to the last line too much or asked to play as predominately the 3rd tall in defence.

I like the pace and 'reach' on Bootsma and think we can work with him here. He's able to cut off leads with those traits and did so on the weekend. Good leap too just was super-low on confidence (until the last qtr) thus urgency too.

Reply #134
Dunno, Bootsma's last qtr was very good IMO. Before not so but I have him ahead of McInnes and White. He needs muscle it must be said but to me his confidence grew in that last qtr when he took McInnes' spot as the 3rd tall. We probably need one of these blokes to take that role, or Giles, to allow both Everitt and Walker to swing between half-back and half-forward and not get dragged back to the last line too much or asked to play as predominately the 3rd tall in defence.

I like the pace and 'reach' on Bootsma and think we can work with him here. He's able to cut off leads with those traits and did so on the weekend. Good leap too just was super-low on confidence (until the last qtr) thus urgency too.

I desperately hope you are right! But you need to have the ability and confidence to actually win your fair share of 'one on one' battles as the 3rd tall, by either outmarking your opponent, winning a battle of strength, or reading the play better when the ball hits the deck. If the opposition see you as the weak link, they will try to isolate and expose you one on one.

McInnes, White and Bootsma all have their limitations in this role. White has the body strength and is a good mark, but lacks pace, agility and endurance. McInnes is very fearless and hard, but looks raw and can be out positioned against the better opponents. Watson probably has to play a key post, because he would be exposed for pace and agility when the ball hits the ground if play 3rd tall in 1:1's. He looks better and more confident when their are other players around him to mop up.

I reckon Everitt will play this role in our 'best' 22 with everyone available. Strong, fast, tall enough, good skills and backs himself. His flexibility also means he is generally a good reader of the game. I reckon McInnes is second in line, with a fit White maybe third. Based on what I've seen, and on Saturday's showing, Bootsma is still a long way off being a regular AFL standard defender. He needs plenty more upper body strength and a good season building his confidence in the NB's before I would consider him in our best back 6.