Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 46592 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #90
I reckon that not only are Bell and Robbo starters in our line up but they're very important to the side adding that hardness and perhaps making the opposition think twice before they go.

^^^^^This  x million
Finally we have a couple of players that hurt the oppositio, yes they may turn the ball over a bit,  but they offer more positives than negatives.
Have you seen Juddys games from last year? Did some great things but continually hand balls to the other team and no one is complaining about his disposal.
Yes they lack class but would rather them in than someone like Lucas. ::)

OK, i've asked a few people to do this and nobody has complied, so i'll do it myself and then maybe you'll see why i've been so 'negative' towards Bell and Robbo.

Best 22...
FB   Tuohy  Jamison  Simpson
HB  Walker  Watson  Everitt
C    Gibbs     Judd   Thomas
HF  Yarran  Henderson Garlett
FF  Kreuzer   Waite   Menzel
FOLL Warnock  Murphy  McLean
INT  Scotland Carrazzo Curnow
SUB Armfield

EMG Cachia Bell Robinson Lucas Docherty McInness Casboult Graham Cripps

Which of my starters do you guys want to leave out to fit in Bell and Robinson?
Armfield and Curnow are similar players with more runs on the board compared to those two.
Menzel, Yarran and Garlett might be one small too many, but we could do it while Eddie was here and Menzel offers more marking power and ability to play further up the ground so i don't think thats an issue.
So you want to go with only 1 ruckman?

I just can't see, when fully fit, how they will force there way into our best side.

Armfield and Scotland would be the two I would replace. Other than that, spot on.

Reply #91
Flabbergasted at the negativity here.  :o :o

We fielded a side minus at least 10 straight up starters. The Kangabies were far closer to full strength. The Kangabies had the better of the stats.

We learned so much from this game, as well as winning when all the pundits and some here, thought we would not.

On the negative side, we learned - Lucas is a dud. Bootsma is not far behind.

On the positive side, we saw how much value Everitt will likely bring. We won without 10 'first pick blokes' and non-dominant performances from Murph, Gibbs, Robbo, Waite etc...

On stats alone, we should have lost by about 3-5 goals.

Is there anyone else who'd like acknowledge positive indicators from this first hit-out? Sorry, but I think we did really well in this game and there was much to like about our intensity and endeavour... woops, positive  :-X :-X :-X

I thought given who played us, and o played for them, and that we dominated the game for 2 1/2 quarters, that it was a very good result.

The only real disappointments for me was Lucas, Bootsma and Armfield (who didn't get much game time).

Definite improvement in Bell, Rowe, Watson, Buckley, Cripps, Everitt. Not sure what more we could ask for?

Reply #92
Rowe looks fit this year..

Which is nice.

Reckon he'll get at least another year with us.

Reply #93
Armfield came in for Thomas....so that means he isn't in our best 22? Neither is Scotland, Carrazzo, Simpson.... Don't think you thought that one through.

Not hard to figure out. The others weren't ready to go otherwise they would've come in. Army was ready but not initially selected. He then came in as a replacement.

He may have played most games last year but Bell looks to have come on a little and going by that he takes Army's spot IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #94
Given the side we had out compared to the Roos, I was pleasantly surprised. A little painful to watch but for a first serious hit out, what more could you ask for.

Great signs coming from Watson, the key to our season really. Bell I really like and is going to be in our best 22 I feel, Cripps is further advanced than I thought and should be right in the mix also. One pickup off his laces I really liked.

My good feeling regarding Everitt was rewarded, great pickup there Mick. I still feel uneasy with Walker down back, first game of the year and rusty I grant you.

Reply #95
Armfield came in for Thomas....so that means he isn't in our best 22? Neither is Scotland, Carrazzo, Simpson.... Don't think you thought that one through.

Not hard to figure out. The others weren't ready to go otherwise they would've come in. Army was ready but not initially selected. He then came in as a replacement.

He may have played most games last year but Bell looks to have come on a little and going by that he takes Army's spot IMO.

I know what you were implying. I'm suggesting that the players listed have nothing wrong with them and were simply rested for this game...as was Armfield. I think we all know what to expect from the players who did not play, ditto Armfield.

In short, Armfields exclusion from the initial squad says nothing about his ability on the field IMO.

Reply #96
I  know it's only the pre season, but I'll offer my 2 bob's worth :

- a few too many easy goals through the corridor - nightmares of seasons past
- giving up that nice 4th quarter lead - ditto

Levi and Sammy Rowe - still not convinced by these guys
McInnes  50/50, but he worries me a bit

Bryce, played as per usual  - what he does, he does well, but does he do enough ?

Everitt - if he can keep that up, he'll be a shoe in for recruit of the year

Bell and Robbo, a bit rough skill wise, but it's nice having some size and grunt round the clearances

Menzel - what can I say ? It's love, love love. I'm sure some or most of you have experienced that feeling with certain players - players that you like or that are really skilful, you just relax as soon as they touch the ball ? That's my feeling with Troy - as soon as he touches it, I just smile, sit back and relax knowing he'll do something good or make it count.

Reply #97
OK, i've asked a few people to do this and nobody has complied, so i'll do it myself and then maybe you'll see why i've been so 'negative' towards Bell and Robbo.

Best 22...
SUB Armfield

Which of my starters do you guys want to leave out to fit in Bell and Robinson?

If we have all those players on the park at once it will be a miracle.

Considering Army came in for Thomas there is your first answer. This would be my team.

HB  Walker  Watson  Yarran
HF  Robbo  Henderson Garlett
FF  Kreuzer   Waite   Everitt
SUB Bell

FWIW, Armfield played every game last season. In fact he has missed just 1 game from the past 50! (R4 vs Ess 2012...boy we needed him then too!)
Last season Bell played 9/24
Robinson played 21/24

Big call putting them ahead of Army...who offers a very similar role, yet more versatility.

Leaving out Menzel is a somewhat easy decision to make as he is still learning the game, but he does add polish as well as hardness up forward.

@Shadesy...
Curnow placed 4th in last years B+F. Hard to drop him on last years form.

There's little doubt that Casboult will play in our best 22, with the most likely candidate to give way being Watson at CHB. Or, Waite could play a HF or wing, which would put pressure on Robbo and Scotland.

I'd prefer Henderson at CHB and Casboult at CHF and would like to see Kreuzer rotating through the bench as opposed to resting in the FP.

Reply #98
Casboult will have to show a lot more to be in the best 22.

From what I saw yesterday, he's still a work in progress....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
Casboult will have to show a lot more to be in the best 22.

From what I saw yesterday, he's still a work in progress....

Casboult plays when Waite/Henderson/Kreuzer are injured (could be often). Otherwise currently not best 22.

Reply #100
Thanks a sqwillion for the summary of the game, first class!
I was interested in Crashlander's comment
[17]   Rowe: Did adequately against Petrie, but he really didn't give much drive. Didn't look like a key defender.
  I figure that Pedrie is almost the standard of a good CHF. Do Adequately against Pedrie and you Pass.  It would be great for Carlton if Rowe could step in and manage a key back roll!
What do you think? He tries, he learns and is a quality bloke!

Reply #101
Just watched the replay (finally). Most of the key issues have been covered already so I'll just mention a couple of things that really struck me.

1. Chris Yarran did some excellent defensive stuff. I've never been a fan of his as a defender but I think he really has taken a big step forward if this game is anything to go by. I'll look forward to more of this as the year unfolds.

2. We looked a LOT more poised and full of purpose - OK only the 1st NAB game, but we really looked a lot better in those aspects IMO. Again, let's see how we go forward but I definitely think that our approach looks better.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #102
Krudder, with your team
SUB Armfield
  I wonder if there is enough height beside Jamison.
I think we need more height on the HF line as well.
I have this inkling that we should invest inn Casboult becoming a Cloke forward.
With his injury track record, Waite gives us great balance as a Swing Player asset

Reply #103
I'd have Bell over Curnow if Carrazzo was available.

Agree with Kruddler......Curnow is the No 1 tagger now and takes the opposing teams best mid....I think both will line up in rnd 1 vs Port.
Mick likes Bell and wants the bigger bodied players in the seniors and Bell has been red hot so far in both this NAB game and the intra club game.
Carrazzo might have to fight for his spot with Mick keen on youth....

Reply #104
Everything has pretty well been said, I'll just add I thought we still lacked defensive pressure a bit when the ball was coming out of our forward half.

I also thought we lacked a bit of composure going forward and bombed it long to poor options too often.

It's only our 1st practice game, so not too concerned, overall I thought there were more positives to come out of the game than negatives. Plenty to get excited about.

Just 1 more thing, Gibbs, get a hair cut !!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!