Skip to main content
Topic: "It's Elementary My Dear Watson" (Read 5812 times) previous topic - next topic

"It's Elementary My Dear Watson"

It's time for young Mathew Watson to deliver and the reasons for that are many.

First of all, we need a bone-fide tall in defence to try and free up Henderson to go forward to provide a genuine marking target.

Of the other chaps who were drafted in the same year as him (2010), only Andrew McInnes remains as Patrick McCarthy, Luke Mitchell, Nick Duigan have been moved on.

If he was to fail and be booted, it would be a complete disaster and near wipe-out for that draft as well as the fact that he was our first pick at #18 that year.

At 195cm & 99kg, he is a big unit who should be able to hold his own ground or and match it with some of the bigger lugs in the competition. He also has a huge booming left foot that is a damaging weapon when opposition teams apply a press or flood, he can clear the congestion with a massive roost. 

This is his fourth year at the club which means he will turn 22yo this year, he cannot be viewed as a "kid" for much longer as he has had the benefit of four pre-seasons to get his fitness up to the necessary level.

All in all, if he can hold down a role in our defence, he will straighten up our team down the spine and provide us with some variations when it comes to the match-ups.

Here's hoping he has a breakout season, or part thereof.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "It's Elementary My Dear Watson"

Reply #1
It's time for young Mathew Watson to deliver and the reasons for that are many.

First of all, we need a bone-fide tall in defence to try and free up Henderson to go forward to provide a genuine marking target.

Of the other chaps who were drafted in the same year as him (2010), only Andrew McInnes remains as Patrick McCarthy, Luke Mitchell, Nick Duigan have been moved on.

If he was to fail and be booted, it would be a complete disaster and near wipe-out for that draft as well as the fact that he was our first pick at #18 that year.

At 195cm & 99kg, he is a big unit who should be able to hold his own ground or and match it with some of the bigger lugs in the competition. He also has a huge booming left foot that is a damaging weapon when opposition teams apply a press or flood, he can clear the congestion with a massive roost. 

This is his fourth year at the club which means he will turn 22yo this year, he cannot be viewed as a "kid" for much longer as he has had the benefit of four pre-seasons to get his fitness up to the necessary level.

All in all, if he can hold down a role in our defence, he will straighten up our team down the spine and provide us with some variations when it comes to the match-ups.

Here's hoping he has a breakout season, or part thereof.

I remember seeing him in two intra club matches last year and he dominated down back.. I thought he was going to have a great year in 2013 going by that... 
I've now learnt not to get my hopes up as come the real season its a totally different ball game..
I just wouldn't be pinning my hopes on this guy holding down a key position back role week in week out...  He does some nice things, but to me its like he has momentary lapses of concentration that end up costing him and us..
I hope for all the reasons above, that he does perform this year.. But im just not so confident...

Reply #2
I reckon he looked a different player to the one we've seen previously when playing against North. Not so much skill wise but he seemed way more involved and actually looked to have an interest in being in the game, something I haven't really seen too much of before.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
Midfielder's usually have their breakout year in their third year.

And as we all know talls take longer to come on. Watto impressed me on the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Watto's breakout year was this year (4th year on list).

Reply #4
I reckon he looked a different player to the one we've seen previously when playing against North. Not so much skill wise but he seemed way more involved and actually looked to have an interest in being in the game, something I haven't really seen too much of before.

Probably realizes he won't be going to essendon any time soon.

Reply #5

Probably realizes he won't be going to essendon any time soon.

Maybe doesn't want to anymore??
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Watson and Everitt have a great season, and our side becomes dangerous and very difficult to match up on. Waite and Henderson added to the above and we are in business for success. Jamo won't last forever, so Watson needs to be developed and help in every possible way to be a star defender.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7
Watson needs to play seniors most weeks for this season for two reasons.....we need to release Henderson down forward and Watson also need to be judged on where he is at in terms of development and attitude and where his future lies.

Giles isnt a gorilla minder and either is McInnes or White  so the club have all their eggs in the Watson basket, obviously they had/have  some doubts and tried to recruit Delaney in the offseason  from Nth but that didnt work out....

Its 50/50 on Watson and I wasnt sold on his work in the first NAB series game....got outmarked by Daniel Currie in a one on one  and looked like he had no idea on how to use his body and work his man off the ball....

Sam Rowe appears he will also be considered as a tall backman as Mick evolves the playing list and positions....the media rated his work on Petrie, I didnt, 4 goals from your key forward is a fair return and Sam looked to be floundering when the ball hit the deck so I rate that move as a 40/60 chance of success.

2015 might mean recruiting a readymadekey back like the Hawks did with  Brian Lake, perhaps Frawley as well as that elusive KP Forward......

Reply #8

Sam Rowe appears he will also be considered as a tall backman as Mick evolves the playing list and positions....the media rated his work on Petrie, I didnt, 4 goals from your key forward is a fair return and Sam looked to be floundering when the ball hit the deck so I rate that move as a 40/60 chance of success.

When you compare how Rowe played on Petrie compared to when Jamo plays on Petrie, I'd say Rowe did very well keeping him to 4.  Jamo is Petries B1tch usually. 

Reply #9

When you compare how Rowe played on Petrie compared to when Jamo plays on Petrie, I'd say Rowe did very well keeping him to 4.  Jamo is Petries B1tch usually.

If you are using Jamo vs Petrie recent battles as the yardstick  then fair point...I just didnt like he way he played the position. If it was horses for courses then maybe it might work but I dont see him as that fulltime KP backman we need...

Reply #10

If you are using Jamo vs Petrie recent battles as the yardstick  then fair point...I just didnt like he way he played the position. If it was horses for courses then maybe it might work but I dont see him as that fulltime KP backman we need...

I agree that he isn't a fulltime replacement... 
Another player that usually cleans Jamo up is Tex Walker... Be interesting to see if Tex plays this week and if so, who we play on him..  Personally Id throw Watson or Rowe on him to see how they go.

Reply #11

I agree that he isn't a fulltime replacement... 
Another player that usually cleans Jamo up is Tex Walker... Be interesting to see if Tex plays this week and if so, who we play on him..  Personally Id throw Watson or Rowe on him to see how they go.

Walker is hard work for any backman.....has the strong build as well as being very mobile for a big bloke, remember when he did knee he was in the process of having another day out vs us...
Agree...No harm in trying either Rowe or Watson on big Tex....

Reply #12
Watson and Everitt have a great season, and our side becomes dangerous and very difficult to match up on. Waite and Henderson added to the above and we are in business for success. Jamo won't last forever, so Watson needs to be developed and help in every possible way to be a star defender.

Spot on. Watson was recruited based on his size, potential and kicking really, he was never a lockdown defender. So its actually taken him a while to get his around 'defending'. Looks better now but still a way to go.

What he needs though is game time, like many have said, he is just one of those players that plays better in the seniors and wont dominate really in the reserves. To be honest as good as Hendo is, its not like he is an AA CHB and I believe we are actually not losing that much by running with Watson down there considering the advantage of having Hendo forward. To me he is the key to the season, if he can float and be competitive things might be interesting.

Reply #13
Having watched Watson a bit on the NAB Challenge game I think he looked a lot more switched on and confident than the lost little boy he was last year. Still needs more development for sure, but IMO he's on the right track. Still early days but I have high hopes for him. Go Watto!
Reality always wins in the end.