Skip to main content
Topic: Blues V Bulldogs @ Princes Park (Friday Arvo Match) (Read 36418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues V Bulldogs @ Princes Park (Friday Arvo Match)

Reply #90
What a bunch of pussies. We lose a nothing scratch match by less than three goals and the sky is falling....

No Judd, no Carrots, no Gibbs (ditto Walker, Hendo, others) and (from what I gather) only 1 ruck?

It means jack.

Its not about the loss Fly...couldnt care less about the result but its the same old same old down forward....Waite and not much else unless we play Henderson down forward and that leaves a hole down back....

Wouldn't it be nice EB if there was a surprise in the pack that we didn't see coming? Like if Rowe had blitzed it today and snared 10 goals. If Menzel helped himself to 40 possies and 5 goals. It's been too predictable for too long.

JK...look I would love  surprise but the only one I can see is Henderson and Waite playing most games and combining with X factor players like Walker and Menzel to give us some goalkicking power.
Rowe and Casboult look good for 15 minutes a game sometimes but then dissapear...I always have said that if you left Rowe at FF you might get something back as he can take the big mark and kick straight but its all dependent on delivery and him being the central target and making him work hard.
If someone can work out where Casboult is in his development let me know... a very frustrating player is Levi...great one grab mark, crape kick and like Rowe gives you a taste of something good everynow and then but its all too little. I am over them both......maybe Luke Reynolds can be a Crameri and give us some hope.

Reply #91
What EB said.....
I don't get too worked up over pre-season results but what I do like to see in this period is a player who gives us something a little more than they did the previous year.
I can't see a lot.
We will be a better side with the inclusion of a few new players from other clubs but whether that's significant enough to make a huge difference to our end of year position is doubtful.
We need a reasonably injury free season (and the signs are already looking a bit ominous with a number of players having injury interrupted pre-seasons)
..but more than anything we need a couple of players to give us some goal kicking power...and that's not obvious from what we've seen so far.

Reply #92
I'm also in the 'result doesn't matter' court, but... it has been the way we have lost which has been of concern.

You would reasonably expect Caboult to dominate at this time of year and make a case for senior selection. He hasn't given anything other than a teasing moment or two (of something good).

The way other sides (particularly the Dawks, Weasels and Bogansville/Adelaide) have been playing is what I would have hoped to have seen. We just about owned the last quarter yesterday but couldn't convert. No hiding that fact. The Dishlickers were gone and we couldn't put them away.

However, I do factor in who is missing from the side. Which only makes me worry more - that we seem to be still reliant on too few.

I am normally very optimistic at this time of year. But not this year.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #93
We'll know soon enough with a bit more certainty - next w/e's game v. Port will be interesting and I'll be there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
However, I do factor in who is missing from the side. Which only makes me worry more - that we seem to be still reliant on too few.

That's one of the big problems as I see it.
Too many of our 'best' haven't had a proper pre-season.

Reply #95
I certainly dont get too hung up on win/loss during pre-season. A win or two is hady fro sure but we want blokes to be presisng fro selection...hard!

With regard to some blokes mentioned - Casboult and Rowe - I'd add others to that mix with the headline over their head "where do they sit" such as Lucas, McInnes, Bootsma, White. I'm a little unsure where some more senuor bloeks are at such as Kreuzer, Warnock, Yarran, Gibbs. Honestly, we need these blokes firing and to step out of the comfort zone and into the AFL top barcket. There are others too that need to join them. To me blokes such as Watson, Buckley and Ellard have stepped up a bit more and shown me they have a future and that they are pressing hard for a round 1 game against Port.

I think MM has a gently, gently or sorftly, softly approach at the moment. Slight changes on and off field and gradually get those things right and others such as game plan, unity, list management and the like.

Reply #96
@Pratty

To add to what you said about MM, I'm sure he's still evaluating the list in detail and sorting the sheep from the goats. Unless we see some major transformations in some players, especially those you've mentioned, there will be another big clear out for sure.

Reply #97
@Pratty

To add to what you said about MM, I'm sure he's still evaluating the list in detail and sorting the sheep from the goats. Unless we see some major transformations in some players, especially those you've mentioned, there will be another big clear out for sure.

Yep cook, Im not sure its MM's way to just cut the list in a big way in his 1st or 2nd season. he'll make changes but it's over a period of time, a few season even to get to where he wants it. Will need another season of getting the game plan into them and like you said osrting out who's who in the zoo. then more list changes at seasons end b4 maybe he's getting close to what he wants form his playing list. Let's remember....well this is my opinion anyway.....the list was not in great shape when he came and IMHO still has a way to go. good players there for sure and we can do ok this year but unless some play out of their skin then we might be middle of the pack.

Reply #98
@Pratty

Yep cook, Im not sure its MM's way to just cut the list in a big way in his 1st or 2nd season. he'll make changes but it's over a period of time, a few season even to get to where he wants it. Will need another season of getting the game plan into them and like you said osrting out who's who in the zoo. then more list changes at seasons end b4 maybe he's getting close to what he wants form his playing list. Let's remember....well this is my opinion anyway.....the list was not in great shape when he came and IMHO still has a way to go. good players there for sure and we can do ok this year but unless some play out of their skin then we might be middle of the pack.

That's just about it in a nutshell Pratty.

Reply #99
@Pratty

If he is still evaluating the list Cookie, then we are in real strife. At $800k a year you'd reckon bed worked it out by now.

BTW what have you got against goats  >:D
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #100
@Pratty

If he is still evaluating the list Cookie, then we are in real strife. At $800k a year you'd reckon bed worked it out by now.

BTW what have you got against goats  >:D

I love goats Goat, especially in curry! Nah, only "kidding"  ;D

No, I think MM is certainly still sorting out the list and a few will be under the microscope this year for sure. As you say though, he's probably got a fair idea but can't make too many changes all at once.

Reply #101
@Pratty

I don't think he is still evaluating the list.

I think he has evaluated it, and is now actioning a plan to transition from pretender to contender.

Despite how well it all clicked, we have not really been in the frame for a flag no matter how much people will say we were and the only time we have even given it a bit of a shake was in 2011, and we were still outclassed by the big boys that season.

Even with Fev in the side, you have to eliminate Henderson as a contributer which means at worst a small gain in profficiency with a major negative defensively.

Thats just the harsh reality of the situation.  We (the fans) have overated our list, and I think the club has been guilty of taking the glass half full approach where Mick has shown them the harsh reality that we really are not good enough.  Its not surprising really.  We have drafted poorly, we have recruited about the same, and our developement has been roughly the same.  It all equals a result of despite how good we could have been we never truly got near it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #102
I think there is still some degree of evaluation going on, otherwise why would the likes of Rowe and Casboult, to name but two, be getting so much pre-season game time?

Reply #103
@Thry Showing the harsh reality or he is just protecting his arse. Don't think many of us would have taken Mick at a million dollars a pop if you told us we wouldn't be top 4 in the following two years but let's see what comes.

Reply #104
Even with Fev in the side, you have to eliminate Henderson as a contributer which means at worst a small gain in profficiency with a major negative defensively.

Hendo had his breakout season last year, he had given us nowhere near the output of Fev prior to that and even last year he didn't come close to Fev at his best. Fev was a gamebreaker in the real sense of the word. He could kick you 4-5 goals in a quarter and win the game off his own boot. Hendo is well off that ATM but does promise plenty. Here's hoping.......

@LLT

I reckon we wouldn't have taken him had he told us he needed a year to evaluate the list either. That said, we did have one of our greatest finals victories ever last year so I'm willing to give him a chance for sure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!