Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38632 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #60
The club is hamstrung by injuries but the failure to select a side with any hope of winning bewilders me.   No run from defence.  Again.   Why?

Why pick injured players?

Why no movement forward of the kicker?

Why play with such a, I don't know the words,  such a worthless defensive set up?    Why persist with it for four quarters when it clearly wasn't working?

Why Jones continues to play "defence" like he did today staggers me.   U14 let defenders are smarter than he is.

Why do we continue to pick blokes that are just no good?   Their errors and non-contributions kill us.

Why do blokes who can play lose all semblance of skill when they play for us?

Big problems at all levels with this club. Other than glimpses of a prototype forward line,  not one bankable positive today.

Lastly,  we have to get Cripps help.   Now.   Not next year, he'll be broken by then.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
To me, sitting in the stand, we just looked, primarily, overwhelmed physically and the rot started there. Also Melbourne were far quicker and slicker on the breakout and punished us seemingly at will. By contrast  when we tried to break out we were too often stopped by lack of ideas and slow movement, skill errors and turnovers or fierce Melbourne tackling. Done like a dinner today I'm afraid to say. Brushed aside.

Lot of slow movement in the brain too..eg .Mullet went up for a marking contest he had no hope of winning with Jones and a Melbourne tall and left Melksham on his own...easy goal.
How many times did the ball go out the back to unmanned Melbourne players?......we dont man up at all..either in the midfield or down back.....Ed Curnow missing was about the worst player we could have out as he does pick up a man. OShea spent most of his day being 30 seconds late on the contest or giving away dumb free kicks in front of the umpire, they missed a few too he gave too....
Mullett in the wet is like a fish out of water....been waiting a while to use that line and he didnt let me down, doesnt contest in the dry much less the wet and with so much loose ball and a lack of easy receives he joined Oshea as next to useless all day.
Rowe reminded me of a grasshopper stranded in a puddle, couldnt get his legs working and was all over the place...
Plowman was ordinary and not for the 1st time....cant even kick the ball these days....
Simpson battled on but knew it was a lost cause and Daisy just wanted to punch on with Vince and got tagged and sucked in...cant blame him wanting to punch Vince though...
Liam Jones started ok but ended up out of sync with the flow of the game and got caught in between contests or like OShea just arrived too late...
Defense which was the cornerstone of Boltons game plan is a rabble without Docherty IMO.....

Reply #62
Against Geelong...
just let the players go and have fun, play to instinct, play their position.
Too many instruction have caused the players to lose their instinct and it second guesses their ability (can't hit target)
They all can play, they all have skills and we see this when newbies start, they just go out to show their wares then after a couple of games the coaches go righto we need you to do this.... then the second year blues then they might come around in the third year.
 Just tell them the basics and to go out their to enjoy their footy again.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #63
The club is hamstrung by injuries but the failure to select a side with any hope of winning bewilders me.   No run from defence.  Again.   Why?

Why pick injured players?

Why no movement forward of the kicker?

Why play with such a, I don't know the words,  such a worthless defensive set up?    Why persist with it for four quarters when it clearly wasn't working?

Why Jones continues to play "defence" like he did today staggers me.   U14 let defenders are smarter than he is.

Why do we continue to pick blokes that are just no good?   Their errors and non-contributions kill us.

Why do blokes who can play lose all semblance of skill when they play for us?

Big problems at all levels with this club. Other than glimpses of a prototype forward line,  not one bankable positive today.

Lastly,  we have to get Cripps help.   Now.   Not next year, he'll be broken by then.

Been saying it all year he needs a rest during games but everytime he goes out of the midfield other teams just cash in and dominate us...
We need that Ben Cunnington strong body workhorse who can take over the grunt work and farm the ball out to Dow, Obrien etc.....
Kennedy was meant to be that player but looks busted up after round one vs tigers.....not sure why he has been played injured, its just another woeful piece of off field work by our brains trust..

Reply #64
Of that later lot though other clubs would snap them up fast for a high draft pick if available. Thomas has had a great year. Rowe does ok but like Levi is a fill-in while other s develop. The other's we don't need in the side.

Second lot are great but there aren’t too many other clubs that would need to play them at this stage

Reply #65
Give the boys free reign, play a Blighty game plan
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #66
Other teams drip feed their youngsters into the big time. We have to play them consistently on mass. If O’Brien or Dow had been at Geelong or Swans, they’d be rotated out and ‘managed’ by now for a few weeks.  This attitude of ours goes back to Kruezer’s first year.

Reply #67
Give the boys free reign, play a Blighty game plan

They had free reign today, none of them went near there Melbourne opponents, we need disciplined manning up and team defense....
Players like Melksham had a picnic with our free reign.....never seen so many easy uncontested goals...

Reply #68
Other teams drip feed their youngsters into the big time. We have to play them consistently on mass. If O’Brien or Dow had been at Geelong or Swans, they’d be rotated out and ‘managed’ by now for a few weeks.  This attitude of ours goes back to Kruezer’s first year.

Murphy's ;)

Reply #69
Other team drip feed their youngsters into the big time. We have to play them consistently on mass. If O’Brien or Dow had been at Geelong or Swans, they’d be rotated out and ‘managed’ by now for a few weeks.  This attitude of ours goes back to Kruezer’s first year.

Fair point.....our senior players apart from a few are not good enough to carry the newbies, Saints have the same problems.....then you look at Stephenson from Collingwood who has been playing really well but its on the back of a dominate Collingwood midfield who can get him some easy ball and use his running strengths.
Dow and OBrien have to win contested footy at the coalface which isnt their job, they are creators/runners like Stephenson but forced to do it harder.....

Reply #70
Murphy's ;)

Gibbs, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton last year without a pre-season and now Dow.
When you're desperate you don't have much choice, due to our woeful recruiting over a sustained period we just don't have that core group of foot soldiers to take the load off the kids.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #71
That's because those players are playing elsewhere.......
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #72
Gibbs, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton last year without a pre-season and now Dow.
When you're desperate you don't have much choice, due to our woeful recruiting over a sustained period we just don't have that core group of foot soldiers to take the load off the kids.

We therefore answer our own questions in a sense by acknowledging that, due to sins of the past, we are forced into a ‘play all the youth at all costs’ strategy which is a long, long way home.

Reply #73
That's because those players are playing elsewhere.......

To some extent, but we are missing a group of mid 20's players due to drafting failures.
Watson, Bootsma, Austin, Menzel, Lucas, etc. etc. etc.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #74
We therefore answer our own questions in a sense by acknowledging that, due to sins of the past, we are forced into a ‘play all the youth at all costs’ strategy which is a long, long way home.

We have no other choice in my opinion, we've been down the recycled road and it leads nowhere.