Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36646 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #120
Though the result was disappointing, it was clear from the game that Carlton have nailed the past two drafts, despite what Mathew Lloyd says.
The fact there were two or three bewildering umpire decisions which cost us goals, two skill errors that cost us goals and we missed five or six shots on goal that we should have kicked, maybe Sav should work on all our players goal kicking.
We need to keep playing the kids, we need to bring in Cunningham, McKay & Polson in the near future, and we need to nail next years draft as well.

That's basically as I see it BM, if our kicking was better we'd have probably won, and we must keep playing a good mix of kids with experienced players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
190cm, 80kg.

Great size noting the kgs will come with time....excellent evasive skills, lovely left foot and can kick on the right too....

Thanks for that Flyboy.  I think a few recruiters will have their butts kicked missing him. :)  And he's from Ballarat which is where the brat came from in my name.

Reply #122
I'll need to watch the highlights again, but from my phone I thought Williamson looked quite one sided, ran himself into trouble on a few occasions. For mine not as impressive as game one but still a good get a pick 60 or whatever.

Reply #123
Re: Tom Williamson

I wonder if he was recruited to add some (desperately needed) talent in the middle. If he's got some defensive craft, attacking mindset, good size/strength, speed, agility, endurance, and foot skills.... Perhaps he'll be our homegrown mid talent. Certainly sounds like he's got all the makings.

Here's hoping the development side of things is solid. We could be looking at a buddy for Crippa before we know it ^-^
Wouldn't it be something to replicate Crippa's development!!!

Fwiw Williamson was my 2016 draft smokey. Smedts my trade smokey.
Plenty to get excited about bluebaggers. Enjoy the journey :)
Williamson was certainly a speculative pick, but I think 2 things got him over the line: his athleticism and his desire. Seeing him last year play for North Ballarat, it was hard for him to stand out. There were a lot of talented footballers who got first nod for the top roles. Hence Tom played mostly at half back. He was also very young and didn't have the profile. But to see him play he made you notice him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #124
Though the result was disappointing, it was clear from the game that Carlton have nailed the past two drafts, despite what Mathew Lloyd says.
The fact there were two or three bewildering umpire decisions which cost us goals, two skill errors that cost us goals and we missed five or six shots on goal that we should have kicked, maybe Sav should work on all our players goal kicking.
We need to keep playing the kids, we need to bring in Cunningham, McKay & Polson in the near future, and we need to nail next years draft as well.

Well said Blue Moon.
As for Lloyd. He probably says the drug cheats have nailed their list too... ::)
How's that working for them. Hint, what happened R3???
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #125
This might have been mentioned before but last night (maybe it was the haircut) I couldn't help thinking that Charlie Curnow bore a strong resemblance to the young Kouta - maybe it was wishful thinking after watching Kouta highlights on Open Mike and before the game..
I didnt see very much of the game agains GC but to date, I have seen nothing from Charlie to get me excited let alone any resemblance to Kouta. Last person people tried to compare to Kouta was Tom Bell and they only thing that bloke and Kouta have in common is a ball bag. I have to say I'm a little concerned with Charlie, he may just need time to A: get used to AFL game pace and B: Get over his glandular fever completely. I hope its just that so I am prepared to hold fire but he needs to get a wriggle on and start imposing himself a little more.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
I didnt see very much of the game agains GC but to date, I have seen nothing from Charlie to get me excited let alone any resemblance to Kouta. Last person people tried to compare to Kouta was Tom Bell and they only thing that bloke and Kouta have in common is a ball bag. I have to say I'm a little concerned with Charlie, he may just need time to A: get used to AFL game pace and B: Get over his glandular fever completely. I hope its just that so I am prepared to hold fire but he needs to get a wriggle on and start imposing himself a little more.

Agree GTC.

Reply #127

Tend to agree....was a big fan pre-draft as he had/has X factor but he has been disappointing IMO even given his glandular fever....his running patterns are not great and vs GC he couldnt keep up with his man or didnt want to, not sure which...
He can look lazy too when chasing and I wonder about his endurance....was put in the middle for a short stint on Ablett but that didnt work out too well as Ablett was too mobile...the other factor in defense of Charlie is he is being tried everywhere but not really being settled in one position.
Not giving up on him for sure but he is one I have under the microscope...re: Tom Bell....probably gave us a lot more initially than Charlie has....

Reply #128
We need to have a bit of patience with Charlie imo. He's yet to find his feet let alone his role. See how he's going at the end of the year. He's certainly got the physical attributes to build on.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #129
We need to have a bit of patience with Charlie imo. He's yet to find his feet let alone his role. See how he's going at the end of the year. He's certainly got the physical attributes to build on.

This. I think jack sos is playing in his position, but shows more desire and wheels around the ground and therefore is first choice.

Charlie is mobile and athletic yes, but perhaps not as nautical a footballer. I like him running through the mid - all part of his development, good genuinely be a very special player as would be impossible to match up on when thrown forward.

Remember, kouta was player at chb for a season to learn the game (and get over the passing of his dad).

Much patience required but I like his spink and have little doubt he will get there.

Reply #130
Not too much said about it but young Jack seems to have quickly
developed into regular mobile forward. Looks comfortable at the top level and has a good defensive side to his game which is also a great trait.

I know he kicked a few cheap ones late but still he provides a target and is constantly on the move which we have been crying out for this sort of forward for many years.

Works hard and gives 100%. Very happy with his development after only played a dozen games.

Reply #131

The opposition kicking 14.3 at one point doesn't happen very often. Just wasn't our day.

Lloyd's article was the most biased pile of cr#p I've ever read.

Any club who recruits 30 players in 2 years is going to have recycled players and there will be some who don't work out. We've gone heavily into the draft and let go senior players like Hendo, Yarran, Bell, etc. to get there.

There's also his example of Smedts. We traded Touhy for Marchbank, Pickett and Smedts. He claims Smedts was a mistake - maybe - but he's only 1 of the 3 young players we got for 1 old player.

If you go looking for negatives you can find them anywhere.

Reply #132
Remember, kouta was player at chb for a season to learn the game (and get over the passing of his dad).
Really? I reckon Kouta had a fair handle on the game prior to 1998 when his dad passed away. He'd already played 100 games by then and was a premiership player and who could forget his game v West Coast in 1996 at PP. He rediscovered his love for the game for sure, but he had well and truly arrived on the AFL scene well before playing at CHB.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #133
Lloyd's article was the most biased pile of cr#p I've ever read.

You read his his tripe?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #134
Not too much said about it but young Jack seems to have quickly
developed into regular mobile forward. Looks comfortable at the top level and has a good defensive side to his game which is also a great trait.

I know he kicked a few cheap ones late but still he provides a target and is constantly on the move which we have been crying out for this sort of forward for many years.

Works hard and gives 100%. Very happy with his development after only played a dozen games.

Too true shawny. I forget he's only played, what, a dozen? He's a ripper. Not a super athlete just an honest footballer who bleeds Navy. His positioning is a standout. His kicking for goal's not too shabby for a kid either.
Onya SOJ
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.