Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35620 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #90
I think Bolts is lucky the Judge doesn't make rash decisions!

Yes, more the slow burn type I think. If it was Big Jack, Bolton would not have lasted 3 games, let alone 3 seasons.

Reply #91
I've been a Teague fan but.....
Teague's our forward coach
Our forward line is a shambles.

You would have to be an insider to know what's actually going on there ….but Teague has enough on his plate to get that functional before we hand over a senior gig to him.
We couldnt buy a goal in the second. Then lo and behold, fwd started running towards the ball carrier and we marked and goaled. Leading, what a novel concept.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
Question and answer time at my beloved club.
Truth, put everything on the table warts and all.
What's pissing people off, what does the TEAM need to pull off a win?
Come on, round table meeting, everyone equal..call it now!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #93
I didn’t read all your pre-game chats but honestly if you’re an astute follower of the AFL, you could not possibly have tipped us to win after seeing the teams on paper. The game played out pretty much how I thought it would. The Swans team has class, strength and composure on every line, and half our team looked like a pack of schoolboys (and played like them) in comparison. Gibbons isn’t a small forward, Polson isn’t an AFL player and O’Brien plays like he’s in the U17s. Name one Swan player like that? We lost at match committee, we needed a physically stronger team. Kennedy and Silvagni should have been in. We don’t need ‘small forwards’, we need smart and composed forwards. And we need players to learn how to deliver to our forwards’ advantage at the very minimum. We nearly always kick inside 50 to advantage the opposition. Losing Cuningham is shaping as a big loss because he’s smart around goals. Losing Curnow was massive and without those two our forward line was full of holes. Then losing McGovern didn’t help.
But overall it’s not just a matter of that we need to win a game, it’s probably going to be a lot harder than most expected because our senior players aren’t really natural leaders and most make fundamental mistakes in crucial moments all the time. I think we’re not gonna be anywhere near finals until we have players that push Murphy, Thomas, E. Curnow and Simpson out of the team.
As far as BB is concerned, he has got faults, probably the biggest is putting faith in players who continually don’t meet (supporters) expectations, but ‘try hard ‘.

Reply #94
I've been a Teague fan but.....
Teague's our forward coach
Our forward line is a shambles.

You would have to be an insider to know what's actually going on there ….but Teague has enough on his plate to get that functional before we hand over a senior gig to him.

That or a victim of a crappy game that gets the ball into the F50 in the most inefficient way. There's no way you can set up with that crap coming into the F50.

Also guessing whatever Ratten was doing under Pagan wasn't looking so good either. Then he got the job and did well.

Reply #95
Watching the tape.....Heeney gets a golden run.   Pushes blokes out...  No free.... Touch him it's a free.   He's a F+*,ing Bilby that bloke.

The two goals that Buddy kicked were rotten calls as well. He gets frees based on reputation...he's buddy and his opponent is a no name (Jones)  who doesn't count.  

Shouldn't have expected any different, Swans got stiffed last week,  can't have that two weeks in a row.

Problem I have is McKay gets blocked or held and they just ignore it.

We wont play finals but the swans won't either. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #96
I went to the game today and saw the Swans do what they do year in and year out - use precision kicking and accurate handball under pressure, whether on the back line or forward line, to win the game.

On the other hand I saw Carlton, despite having so many first round picks, butcher the ball by hand and foot as they have on so many occasions this century. Despite the number of coaches and skill coaches the priority for Carlton players with the ball seems to be:

a) Where possible, whether in defence or attack, kick to an opposition player who is by himself

b) Kick the ball short in front of the oncoming Carlton player so that the opposition player can sweep up the ball or create a stoppage

c) Use the chaos theory - just slam the ball on to your boot so the opposition won't know where it is going, and neither will the Carlton players

d) always handball to a teammate who is under maximum pressure.

Seriously, I'm over it.  As I said once before, I've followed Carlton for 74 years and always thought the dark years of the club 1948 to 1967 would never be repeated, but I see no relief in sight in this century.

As others have said: is the club in a collective mental state where winning games is unachievable?

Reply #97
1964 was the last.
I remember 64 we had our worst season ever to that date, in our centenary year. We disgracefully finished 10th ????
By our standards of today a dream year!
BUT it brought in a ruthless administration when Harris took over, got Barrassi and had our greatest period.
Maybe it is time for a revolution and time for ruthlessness from the top and fear of not performing

Reply #98

As others have said: is the club in a collective mental state where winning games is unachievable?

Turning a losing culture into a winning culture is a monumental task, that goes well beyond one individual or department. Which is one reason among many why I see no value in sacking the coach. As you state, all sorts of personnel come and go (players, coaches, football dept heads, presidents etc.) but still the culture persists. It's almost as though it's now part of the bricks and mortar. It's a devilishly hard habit to break.

Reply #99
A lot of negativity on here today. Understandable that people are hurting, but calling for the coaches head?

People realise that we had more scoring shots today? Sure, it was just 1, but it was MORE.

You know what that means? If we had've kicked it through the big sticks a bit more, we would've won the game. As simple as that.

McKay kicked 1.3, at least a couple he should've kicked, 1 from 15m out i believe.

Casboult did was casboult does and hit the post at a key moment in the game.

Setters kicked 0.2 and of course there were others.

We played poorly, but ultimately it was mere kicking at goal that cost us the game. Imagine when we play well?

No need to (re)start a rebuild, just kick straighter.

Reply #100
And this from the Hun:
Patrick Dangerfield had one piece of advice regarding the new 6-6-6 rule at this year’s AFL Players’ Association season launch.

“Put money on ‘Crippa’ for the Brownlow,” Dangerfield said.

It might’ve been a hot tip. After Round 3 Cripps might well have polled in three losing teams with Saturday’s performance in a 19-point loss to Sydney his finest.

Rarely has a football team been built so exclusively around one player. Cripps isn’t just the heartbeat at Carlton, he’s the entire aorta and the lungs as well.

The problem for Cripps is that’s where the superstar talent ends. He was helpless to stop Sydney squashing a wasteful Carlton at Marvel Stadium.

Cripps won eight of his 13 clearances bursting out of the centre. The next best was third-gamer Sam Walsh with three centre clearances.

Cripps laid eight tackles, three more than every other teammate. Boy, how he must yearn for some midfield mates.

Yeah, Cripps and daylight really. Walsh is showing a bit, but we still lack that support. Setterfield it should be remembered is playing his 4th game.

We need to get some decent midfielders to help out Cripps, like Sydney has.

Walsh - 28 possessions and 8 clearances (subpar as a support for Cripps?)

Alternatively..
Kennedy - 31 possessions and 7 clearances
Jones - 31 possessions and 7 clearances
Parker - 18 touches and 5 clearances

Simple fact is, when 1 player is so dominant (Cripps) it doesn't matter who else is on the ground, they can't put up similar numbers. Josh Kennedy is up there with the best mids in the game over a long period. an 18yo kid just equalled his numbers and yet we are a 1-man side in need of more midfield help.

Perspective. Get some.

Reply #101
I hate it that we lost. It really irritates me. But we are getting better. It is going to take time, and that frustrates me the most. I am tired of losing to these zeroes!

[1] Our midfield is very much on the improve, but we were out-muscled in that department today. Cripps was tagged and still got close to 30 possessions. The rest were good in patches, but not enough for long enough. Lobbe competed very well, but he is not a premiership ruckman and it showed. As it is, he deserves another game on that effort.

[2] Our small forwards are very much a work in progress. Neither Polson or Gibbons could make an impression today. I do not think either are lost causes, but one or both should be in the VFL next week. Assuming we have someone to replace them.
Ed Curnow showed a lot with his 4 goals, as a defensive forward. Can he repeat it? That I doubt, but I loved the way he went at it today.
Murphy spent some time up forward and got a goal, a good one.

[3] Our tall forwards are also a work in progress, especially with Charlie Curnow not out there. Levi was good today, both on the ground and in the air. The Gov was better until he was hurt. His goal was a beauty. H marked the ball well but got nothing from the umpires. But all of them expect the bomb into the forward like too much. We need to drop our eyes and find a leading option. Sydney did it and managed goals from it.

[4] We were hurt again by the umpiring today. The push out by Franklin had to be paid and wasn't. H was taken out any number of times and couldn't manage a free. I could go on. If we are good enough this isn't going to matter. However, we are not good enough yet, so every one is a dagger in the heart.

[5] Jones had to be close to BOG. he destroyed Franklin and appeared to get better as the game went on. It was a really big effort. Jacob wasn't far behind: he had a good day.

[6] Our smaller defenders, on the other hand, were patchier. Simmo has not yet got close to his normal form. Perhaps he is human afterall. Newman was good, while Plowman and Marchbank were good in patches. However, Heeney still managed to get 4 goals.

[7] Our disposal is improving, but we still miss the target too often. Sydney showed us how to do it, with classy disposal and goal kicking that rarely missed. We did not make the best use of our scoring shots, especially as we had more of them. Paddy Dow's mistakes today hurt, as did the 3 posters.

[8] Lochie O'Brien also did not stand out. He has not managed to come on as we had hoped.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #102
[4] We were hurt again by the umpiring today. The push out by Franklin had to be paid and wasn't. H was taken out any number of times and couldn't manage a free. I could go on. If we are good enough this isn't going to matter. However, we are not good enough yet, so every one is a dagger in the heart.

I was at the game today and that Franklin push was obvious to me 150m away. How the umps missed it when there are 2 within 20m is simply laughable.

The other one was when we tackled buddy on the boundary line and it was paid as play on, instead of dropping the ball.

Both were obvious, yet both went in buddys favour.

THEN there was the 50-50s that buddy got. I think there was one for front on contact. Not disimillar to about 7 that was not paid against McKay.

The umps didn't cost us the game, but they certainly cost us momentum on multiple occassions.

Reply #103
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2019-04-06/r3-bolton-postmatch

After 3 years of properly fobbing us off, he is starting to talk like all other AFL coaches. Names players, answers questions directly, talks about tactics etc.

The switch has happened folks. No green shoots, or bean sprouts or anything else.

I like it.

Reply #104
“Our midfield is very much on the improve, but we were out-muscled in that department today. Cripps was tagged and still got close to 30 possessions. The rest were good in patches, but not enough for long enough.“

Compare age, experience and the physical attributes of SPS, Dow, Fisher, Sedderfield, Cripps, Walsh to Parker, Kennedy, Jones, Papley Heeney

Cripps is a star, SPS is improving at a rapid rate, Dow is showing plenty for a 22 game player, ditto Sedderfield for 5 games, Walsh will be the fastest player in history to hit the ‘elite’ category....and he’s only played 3 games, Fisher (75 kg and 34 games) continue to work hard and give 110%.

Parker 85kg. 172 games
Kennedy 95.   226
Jones. 81. 72
Papley 75 64
Heeney 80. 80

I know the grasshoppers are less than patient, but the midfield is evolving as a unit and will continue to do so.