Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 58129 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tonight

Reply #90
Touhy showed some form.
The thing 2E showed me (again) was that he continues to make stupid mistakes and gives away frees when he is deep in defence. Does this too often for mine. He needs to rectify this pronto.

Sheesh stop stealing my title of 'Resident Malcontent'. :P
Carrots I am just so desperate for some good signs, there were a couple (KJ, BB sort of). I say again, if we are pinning our hopes on blokes like Bell, Graham and even 2E to an extent, we are in strife.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
I think you're a little harsh on Graham and 2E, Bell I agree has not changed one bit if anything seems a little worse. BB did not do much but gave us a little taste with the run through the middle in the third quarter.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #92
Cripps was good early but faded...
Jaksch....worth the effort to recruit, solid and doesnt do anything stupid...
Boekhorst....I thought he was ok when he had space and time and he can create and find other players..
Dick....didnt make me feel secure..
Tutt....not up to it IMO..
Jones....didnt work hard enough...
Smith...seem to do a lot of running around for not much return, maybe trying too hard..
Bell...was able to compete because has the big frame but like others said was his usual unreliable self in terms of nous and disposal...
Curnow got some footy but I thought Priddis was nearly BOG...like he usually is when he plays us...

Touhy.....didnt mind his game...
Wood...probably not good enough given Lycett and Sinclair are novice rucks...was fair and not our worst but needs to do better...
Buckley.....unsighted
Casboult....needed the run...
Watto....could change places with the other Watto in the test team and the results would be the same.....zero

Not a great effort but that team was light on for mature bodies and we had trouble finding the ball which didnt help Jones, Watson etc.....
The team is very much in the development stage and with so many new players you cant expect them to all know each other games and be able to gel together as a team.
Bit of patience required and we will see how they go next game.....

Good summary, couldn't add much to that EB1.

Also liked KJ and barring injury will fit in nicely down back and give Hendo the forward line to focus on... the forward line missed Hendo's leadership and direction. Although delivery to the forwards was ordinary at best, there were still concerns - particularly Watson.

Very important a lot of those newbies got to experience 'the pace' of the game and the Eagles didn't disappoint in terms of vigour and speed - good to get them at near full strength on their dung heap.

We'd want to see a marked improvement against Rottingwood in a fortnight.

Agree on Henderson Baggers....Jones competed against two players several times and thats not how we will setup and with Henderson in the team I expect more out of Jones
and Watson although I'm not a fan of playing all three down forward when you have Casboult as well.....
Losing Eddie Betts is really hurting us and without Menzel we lack that smaller smarter player......Tutt and Buckley dont have the tricks so far...

Reply #93
I think you're a little harsh on Graham and 2E, Bell I agree has not changed one bit if anything seems a little worse. BB did not do much but gave us a little taste with the run through the middle in the third quarter.

I thought Touhy was ok and Boekhorst did some nice cameo stuff but got pushed of the ball a bit easily...
Graham lacks a yard of pace and I thought he struggled to get to the footy, will be a better player in Melbourne with a softer track....
Bell was the same Bell we have seen for the past two seasons and continues to turn the ball over in between doing some good work...very frustrating player to coach I would imagine..

Reply #94
I recall that buckley had a shocker of a NAB last year.

Not worried about him yet

Reply #95
What about Docherty? I've been pinning my hopes on him, but he just hasn't delivered the sort of form that I had hoped he was capable of. Isnt he supposedly going through the midfield this year? if so, he should be dominating these sort of matches.

Also, everybody keeps talking about three talls in the F50 - Casboult, Henderson and Jones, but isnt Casboult spending half the time in the ruck? I'm not sure I can take another year of Casboult playing forward when he's spent.

Reply #96
^^

I reckon Docherty is way overrated on this forum. Has done sweet FA other than being a pick #12 in the draft. Yes he will improve but he'll need to.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #97
You play crap its just the nab cup
You play well its just the nab cup

Not worried about the result, but plenty of kids missed an opportunity to impress. Game had very little structure or flow as far as we were concerned.
Eat more chooks

Reply #98
^^

I reckon Docherty is way overrated on this forum. Has done sweet FA other than being a pick #12 in the draft. Yes he will improve but he'll need to.

Doing well for a kid who has played 29 games.

He spent most of his first 2 years injured with hip issues.

Reply #99
He's done okay. Still yet to prove anything though IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
Definitely an ordinary result. hoping the narrow dung heap ground and howling wind didn't help our young guys.

QEO is a massive ground which should better suit our running players like Boekhorst. 

Bell was probably our best. Followed by 2e and maybe Jaksch who was solid.

Can't remember one decent entry into the forward line To our tall guys which gave them even half a chance.

Reply #101
There’s a bit of disappointment about last night’s game but it has little bearing on how the side will perform in the actual season.

I take very little from performances in these games and here are some of the reasons.

Missing players- as has been pointed out we were probably missing around 10 of our best. Not only does that affect the result but it also has an effect on the ability of young players to shine. Instead of attracting the third or fourth best opposition player they are going head to head with the 'battle hardened' best the opposition has to offer. That also has a flow on effect as each player down the hierarchy is also faced with a better match-up. Our tall forwards didn’t have great games but the scoring opportunities provided by Gibbs, Murphy Judd will be significantly greater than last night’s midfield could provide

Structures- While generally the pre-season offers you the opportunity to work on structures and set plays these are pretty meaningless unless the players who will have these roles in the regular season are present to work on them. That also has a flow on effect as players are asked to perform roles they might not in regular competition.

Intensity-the match pressure in pre-season is nowhere near as intense as in the regular season. Experienced players like Simpson probably just cruise through a match like last night knowing it’s mickey mouse stuff and he has to look after himself for the main games to come. I bet you wouldn’t see a Carlton captain smiling like Rowe was at the end of a game after a loss like that in a regular season

Fitness levels- these games are about getting match fitness. For some of the new recruits even a low intensity game like last nights are probably a huge step up from State level and Under 18 games. While training loads are structured during the year to ensure period of “freshening up” at various stages, it wouldn’t surprise to hear that we trained fairly hard in the lead up to last night’s match.

Unfamiliarity with team-mates abilities under match conditions- A lot of these blokes are still in the “getting to know you stage”. They probably haven’t had a lot of experience working together in a game so that they know the skills and abilities of team-mates under match pressure, when and who to give that pass to… where and when to lead….. or creating room for team-mates to work into.

If you see a glimpse….like we saw with Boekhorst or Smith…mark it down for future reference but don’t put a huge store in it just yet.

Don’t give the result a second thought.

Reply #102
Hope you're Lods. I was just hoping to see something different, not more of the same.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
Thanks Lods for those words. Ease a lot my disappointment re yesterday's game.

Additionally I think leadership were missing too. As you said Simpson seemed to be cruising. Rowe did his best, however there need to be at least another four or five experienced leaders all over the ground to maintain some sort of structures during a game.  Carrazzo is good at this.

Reply #104
Thanks Lods for those words. Ease a lot my disappointment re yesterday's game.

Additionally I think leadership were missing too. As you said Simpson seemed to be cruising. Rowe did his best, however there need to be at least another four or five experienced leaders all over the ground to maintain some sort of structures during a game.  Carrazzo is good at this.

Very true.
Normally we'd have leaders on every line.... Jamison Murphy Judd Henderson, Gibbs, Carrazzo....if not vocally leading the way, doing so by deeds.

How much easier for the youngsters with those guys around