Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Footscray (Read 7594 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Footscray

This week's game starts at 1000 at Ikon Park, a 'pseudo curtain raiser' for the seniors too far away to be a proper curtain raiser.

NORTHERN BLUES v. FOOTSCRAY

Round 13 – 30/06/2018   10:00AM
IKON Park

Northern Blues
B: 7. M. Blakey, 25. K. Keppel, 44. C. Byrne
HB: 56. C. McDaid, 13. C. O’Shea, 45. M. Shaw
C: 4. L.  O’Brien, 1. T.  Wilson, 57. E.  Penrith
HF: 29. J. Hill, 30. P. Kerr, 3. J. Palmer
F: 22. C. McCabe, 19. H. McKay, 55. J. Williams
R: 36. M. Lobbe, 9. S. Fisher, 33. D. Lang
Int: 11. A. Federico, 10. J. Johnston, 14. J. Lynch, 12. B. Myers, 35. M. Stavrou, 16. J. Velissaris
23P: 58. J. Naylor

In: J. Velissaris, J. Lynch, C. O’Shea, C. Byrne, P. Kerr, L. O’Brien, J. Johnston, J. Naylor

Out: A. Phillips,  T. De Koning,  A. Schumacher,  K. LeBois,  N. Graham,  J. Pickett

We are much weaker in the ruck this week, with no Phillips or de Koning. :( Good for Phillips to be promoted, but losing the young lad is a negative.
Losing Schumacher and le Bois to injury doesn't help us either.
On the other hand, Ciaran Byrne and Paddy Kerr are real positive ins. Alas, most of our returning players have started off very poorly this year. Two weeks ago, for example, Pickett was useless and he is only one example.
It will be interesting to see how O'Brien goes in his 1st VFL game: he may be done a bit for AFL, but ...

Footscray

B: 61. L. Nash, 32. K. Collins, 2. L. Young
HB: 51. L. Dalgleish, 50. J. Prudden, 57. L. Smith
C: 28. C.  Porter, 60. A.  Tashevski-Beckwith, 54. R.  William
HF: 30. F. Greene, 40. N. Mullenger-Mchugh, 56. W. Hayes
F: 66. A. Monfries, 15. T. Campbell, 18. F. Roberts
R: 23. J. Roughead, 46. L. Jong, 22. M. Honeychurch
Int: 55. A. Greenwood, 62. B. Olsson, 63. N. Ryan, 64. J. Smith, 53. L. Sullivan, 68. D. Symeopoulos, 58. E. Wales, 67. J. Wallis
23P: 59. J. Shea

In: N. Ryan, B. Olsson, M. Honeychurch, J. Smith, E. Wales, D. Symeopoulos

Out: S. Biggs, B. Lynch

Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 13: Northern Blues vs Footscray

Reply #1
Lin Jong out for the Dogs.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I thought I read somewhere Shaw was also injured!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
We went down narrowly. 71-65.

@NBluesFC best players for @VFL.com.au:
- Matt Lobbe (12 disp, 55 hitouts)
- Sam Fisher (29 disp, 13 cl, 1 goal)
- Ethan Penrith (12 disp, 3 i50s, 1 goal)
- Harry McKay (14 disp, 8 marks, 1 goal)
- Jordan Lynch (11 disp, 9 tackles, 1 goal)
- Ciaran Byrne (15 disp, 3/4 game time)

Reply #4

That'll do.
McKay for Casboult next week, and let's make it final.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #5
Based on an abysmal performance today F@#K Yeah
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #6

@NBluesFC best players for @VFL.com.au:
- Matt Lobbe (12 disp, 55 hitouts)
- Sam Fisher (29 disp, 13 cl, 1 goal)
- Ethan Penrith (12 disp, 3 i50s, 1 goal)
- Jordan Lynch (11 disp, 9 tackles, 1 goal)
- Ciaran Byrne (15 disp, 3/4 game time)

sam fisher has to be rookied next year.  very impressed by him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
That'll do.
McKay for Casboult next week, and let's make it final.

Confidence in Levi's play and his kicking has been shot after missing games. No need now not to play McKay. We have McKay. Curnow and Kerr as key forwards, all will be good, Curnow a superstar. Levi's done an admirable job as a rookie draft pick 44 to fill the gap between losing Waite and Henderson and waiting for the young ones to develop but it's time for those young ones.

Reply #8
we'll be a much better side when most of our players cut their teeth in the vfl before playing afl. 

Its much tougher thanks to less umpires and less cameras meaning players can play harder footy and our boys always look stunned by the difference in physicality, and after a vfl stint they play tougher at afl level.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Sorry Iaj, No more slack for Casboult.   He might be playing hurt but he ain't contributing.  Three set shots burnt,  four lousy possessions.  Time to move on from this bloke. VFL Beckons.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
Sorry Iaj, No more slack for Casboult.   He might be playing hurt but he ain't contributing.  Three set shots burnt,  four lousy possessions.  Time to move on from this bloke. VFL Beckons.

I liked how the commentators tried to cut Casboult some slack for his goal kicking because of his injured finger......which happens to be on his left hand and as very little (if any) effect on the right footed casboult.

He can't kick. EOS.

Reply #11
His misses today were the difference.  I'm over him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12

He's teflon man, he'll play AFL next week, no matter what sh1t he delivers. All it does is pile up on team-mates! The tell was last week when he was the late out, having Rowe forward for a while we looked so much better, not because Rowe is great but because he does something!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

I'll always cut someone slack off an injury. Hands up those who bagged Kennedy this year. Bet no-one owns up. Doesn't mean i'd play Levi if he can't get a kick. He should've come back though the NBs.

Levi's done an admirable job filling the gap between Waite/Henderson and the young ones coming though, especially given hen picked him up from the pits of the rookie draft. Not to mention doing a decent job as a 2nd ruck. Thing is though we have a few good few forwards now, one a superstar, so we probably don't need Levi now. Not to mention, IMO, a good young player in De Konning, who looks like he can play both ruck and key forward going by VFL form at least. Not many of those around. McKay apparently had a good game today.

Reply #14
I'll always cut someone slack off an injury. Hands up those who bagged Kennedy this year. Bet no-one owns up. Doesn't mean i'd play Levi if he can't get a kick. He should've come back though the NBs.

Levi's done an admirable job filling the gap between Waite/Henderson and the young ones coming though, especially given hen picked him up from the pits of the rookie draft. Not to mention doing a decent job as a 2nd ruck. Thing is though we have a few good few forwards now, one a superstar, so we probably don't need Levi now. Not to mention, IMO, a good young player in De Konning, who looks like he can play both ruck and key forward going by VFL form at least. Not many of those around. McKay apparently had a good game today.

Yep
Should have come back through the VFL.
Shouldn't have played the Freo game either
He was playing quite well earlier in the year and shouldn't be crucified for a couple of bad games coming back...but wé're now at a stage where there is competition for his spot so he has to perform or lose that position.
Back to the VFL for a spell.