Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 21 Carlton vs Richmond (Read 8268 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Prognostications AFL 2019 Rd 21 Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
3 weeks ago.

TBF, Gov has kicked 17 from 13 games....and almost all of them were under Bolton when we were kicking 3 goals a game less than we are now.....and he was unfit.

So....yeah, pressure is on, but his form has not been terrible, relatively.
McGovern's last 6 games were horrible, hence he was banished to get fit. And it's possible that part of the reason we were kicking 3 goals less per game was that he was either unwilling or unable to apply any defensive pressure, and the opposition were just waltzing the ball out of our forward line. Since he's been gone our defensive pressure inside forward 50 has been markedly better. Kennedy deserved another go and McGovern should have had to show something in the VFL

Reply #46
McGovern's last 6 games were horrible, hence he was banished to get fit. And it's possible that part of the reason we were kicking 3 goals less per game was that he was either unwilling or unable to apply any defensive pressure, and the opposition were just waltzing the ball out of our forward line. Since he's been gone our defensive pressure inside forward 50 has been markedly better. Kennedy deserved another go and McGovern should have had to show something in the VFL

The only part of that i need to take issue with is the suggestion that our poor form was down to Gov.
We were poor across the board by the time Bolton got sacked, and a fully fit Stephen Kernahan wouldn't have made a difference in place of Gov.

Reply #47
He'd better do something to warrant getting the nod. 

Reply #48
The only part of that i need to take issue with is the suggestion that our poor form was down to Gov.
We were poor across the board by the time Bolton got sacked, and a fully fit Stephen Kernahan wouldn't have made a difference in place of Gov.
Of course I wasn't suggesting it was all down to him, but it is possible that he was part of the problem, how small or big a part we'll never know. I also acknowledge he was being played unfit because our MC determined that was our best option, which is pretty unfair on Gov. Hope he comes back on fire, kicks 6 and we beat the Tiggers on Sunday

Reply #49
Getting dropped at the moment doesnt mean much.  You might be in more trouble if you're getting a game. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50

My recollection was the ball was barely getting into our forward 50!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
You bag out Obrien, but say Schumacher showed enough?

Schumacher showed that he might be looking for another club next year....only reason he got a game was because Daisy was a late out.

He is different to Obrien you are right, he stands his ground and manages to keep most of his kicks on the park rather than send them into the crowd. He got caught a couple of times but
kept at it vs a very good team in WC. At 192cm/83kg he has a bit going for him IMO given he is willing to play in front and with Williamson becoming more doubtful I'd be happy to continue with him.
Schumacher is a pick 70 and Obrien is pick 10......I'd be guessing but Schumacher is still a pick 70 plus on the trade table but LOB isnt going to get you anywhere near pick 10 anymore.

Reply #52
Dusty out tomorrow.

Sneaky chance IMO - like the ins this week.

Obviously have to play as we have been since Teague took over.....on the flip side if we repeat the performance against cheats played in what will be similar conditions will be a 60 point loss.

Reply #53
Dusty out tomorrow.

Sneaky chance IMO - like the ins this week.

Obviously have to play as we have been since Teague took over.....on the flip side if we repeat the performance against cheats played in what will be similar conditions will be a 60 point loss.

yep.

https://www.3aw.com.au/richmond-star-withdrawn-ahead-of-carlton-clash/?fbclid=IwAR1RZjbnWYwUkDdI5mfDSzNPFt7_nXs-lAmQH71onRWjDsQU0CxIa8algBg
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Slight chance Sydney Stack will miss as well as he apparently left the track early with a.....calf...i think.

Reply #55
Richmond very cocky resting Dusty when they also have Cotchin out....think we are a chance to knock them over.

Reply #56
Which of our players are likely to thrive in heavy conditions?

I’ll be very interested to see how Gibbons and DeLuca go as they are bigger bodies who play close to the ground. Silk is silk in any conditions so I’d think Walsh will be ok. Just hope we’re not too too heavy.

Reply #57
Doubt the conditions will be heavy...most of the rain in the morning. The drainage and the wind will ensure a pretty good surface...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Which of our players are likely to thrive in heavy conditions?

I’ll be very interested to see how Gibbons and DeLuca go as they are bigger bodies who play close to the ground. Silk is silk in any conditions so I’d think Walsh will be ok. Just hope we’re not too too heavy.

Most of our guys dont mind a wet deck. 

Richmond's game suits it.  They prefer to kock it on rather than take posession.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
Richmond very cocky resting Dusty when they also have Cotchin out....think we are a chance to knock them over.
Maybe it's about avoiding the Cripps effect, players being sore and injured for weeks after playing against us!
The Force Awakens!