Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 18 Carlton vs GWS at Ikon (Read 1426 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 18 Carlton vs GWS at Ikon

Reply #15
[4] Pittonet and Mirkov dominated in the ruck. Both had over 30 taps. Pitto was dominant early, while Mirkov dominated after half time. GWS had a total of 4 taps for the night.
[5] Corey Durdin had 16 disposals and played OK, but he didn't kick a goal. He's having a very quiet patch at the moment. We really need him to step come finals time. Matt Owies should be available next week.

Seeing that GWS didn't have a ruckman after the first quarter, you would expect Pittonet and Mirkov to dominate.  It was a good run for Pitto and he should be good to go in the seniors next week.

I hope they're not expecting Corey to play twice.  Running out for North and us isn't helping Harry's performances  ;)

I think you will find that it was tall Durdin, aka Sam, who had 16 disposals in the magoos  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I think you will find that it was tall Durdin, aka Sam, who had 16 disposals in the magoos  :)
I'm glad about that. I haven't watched the whole game (only the last quarter) yet but I didn't recall Corey being out there.
Big Sam looked somewhat off the pace, to be honest. He made more than a few fumbles in the wet, but 16 possessions is OK for him. It is the first time I've seen him get off the ground when going for a mark.

On the other and, my comment about Little Durds is one I hope he takes note of: his form in recent weeks has been ordinary. We really need him to stand up this afternoon.
I think Owies will probably come back via the VFL, as he's now had a fair time off with injury. Martin is due back too. It will be interesting to see if he is put straight back in or not. I think I'd prefer the VFL: if he breaks down, we don't miss so much.
Then again, as we play Adelaide, one of those two might come in directly.
I hope Pitto plays next week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Probably the best game I have seen Dow play - applied plenty of pressure and tackled quite abit. Nice balance to his game where its purely clearance dependent.
Akuei has loads of upside like Mirkov need another pre season.

Couldn't agree more re Dow. Best game I can recall from him. Why? Work rate. He had to fight a hard tag and as the game wore on his determination and work rate paid dividends. He was very influential to the win, though his stats may say otherwise. A good lesson in how stats can bullsh1te. If he brought that work rate, other dimensions to his game, attitude and consistent persistence to a senior game, he'd go a long way to cementing a place in the seniors. I don't buy into the whole his papers are stamped thing.

Huge plaudits must go to the VFL listed blokes. They were great. Even though the opposition was weakened and fragmented, the VFL boys stuck to their tasks and were terrific. Cincotta, Handley, North, Trudgeon... bloody outstanding. Really well supported by Brander, Crocker (gee this bloke works hard), Hebron, Leiu (got some real dash, this kid), Moschetti (keep an eye on this one) and Stevens.

Tall Durds (on the list as Short Durds 19), Kemp, Marchbank and Stocks did their jobs.

Pitto was dominant and didn't shirk the issue... pushed his weight around and made his presence known!

Mirkov has a way to go but is developing nicely.

JGM has improved. Was strong in attack and is a reliable kick for goal. Captained the side on the night. Liked his game.

Wish, probably for sentimental reasons, that I could be more positive about Akuei, but... he is too often lost and a half a second off the pace. Does a few nice things but can't help but think he'd be better off in a lower grade where he can have more wins... learn more. Does look better though as a forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Pitto was dominant and didn't shirk the issue... pushed his weight around and made his presence known!

This is something we've been missing since he left the side.
TDK is far more athletic and i wouldn't say he is timid, but he is nowhere near the physicality of aggressiveness of Pittonet.

Pitto is a beast and can bully other rucks (and non-rucks) and we don;t have many like him (and his size) in the team.
It is essential come finals time.

Reply #19
This is something we've been missing since he left the side.
TDK is far more athletic and i wouldn't say he is timid, but he is nowhere near the physicality of aggressiveness of Pittonet.

Pitto is a beast and can bully other rucks (and non-rucks) and we don;t have many like him (and his size) in the team.
It is essential come finals time.

We need both types.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
We need both types.
I'm not saying Pitto comes in at TDKs expense, i'm just saying we need Pitto in the side too.

I wanted both in this week and will say the same for next week.

Reply #21
I'm not saying Pitto comes in at TDKs expense, i'm just saying we need Pitto in the side too.

I wanted both in this week and will say the same for next week.

Agree.
Reality always wins in the end.