Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Pre Game Speculations: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 20239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Pre Game Speculations: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
I know that their VFL form warranted it, but the season has gone and we are playing a young side in Brisbane so bring in Cunningham, McKay and Glass-McCasker, give them a taste of what pace AFL goes at, they can't go worse than Graham, Thomas and Walker last week.

Although there was nothing mentioned in the club's injury report, McKay was gone by qtr time with an injury in the NBs last Saturday so it's unlikely he'll get a senior gig. But you never know with our club, MK and Meat certainly made miraculous recoveries! Cuningham looks spooked in the two, wouldn't want to completely freak him out. Not sure if McCasker can play being a rookie. Gowers would be the one I'd like to see given a go.

But the most likely scenario is Everitt for Walker and that might be just about it seeing as Murphy is still a week away (with an 'ankle'!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
But the most likely scenario is Everitt for Walker and that might be just about it seeing as Murphy is still a week away (with an 'ankle'!).

We are already sending blokes off for surgery, Murphy might not be back, I'm sure Curnow won't return.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Bugger Everritt, play DVR as a flanker and see if he has what it takes.  Give meat a rest and try Jones.  Try Gowers instead of Graham.  There's only a few games left to see if a few of these blokes have a bit more in them than apparent at VFL level.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
What's wrong with Everritt?
After all he kicked 5 and laid a tackle or was it 2... Yes Everritt tackled :))
His offence is solid, perhaps he's now showing the defensive side he's been hiding.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
First thing Bolts can do is drop a ruck and add a key forward. If he hasn't worked out that's out best structure then i'll be scratching my head.

Kreuzer and Phillips are not great key forwards, but they are certainly better forwards than Jaksch and arguably better than / or as good as Jones.
Having said that, I still think Jones is worth another chance.

As DJC has already said, we need 2 ruckmen against Brisbane.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #20
I thought Gorringe did alright up forward. A few more games to grow into the role. I wonder what happened there?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #21
I thought Gorringe did alright up forward. A few more games to grow into the role. I wonder what happened there?

He's out for the season with a hip complaint that he has carried/managed for most of the year.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Whiley again got very good wraps from the coach and must be due for a call up.  Out Graham.

Reply #23
Whiley again got very good wraps from the coach and must be due for a call up.  Out Graham.

Rockcliff or Robbo would be players I would consider Whiley for.....the former loves playing us and racks up the possies and I'd be throwing the challenge down to Whiley to show something and maybe save his spot on the list...

Reply #24
Kreuzer and Phillips are not great key forwards, but they are certainly better forwards than Jaksch and arguably better than / or as good as Jones.
Having said that, I still think Jones is worth another chance.

As DJC has already said, we need 2 ruckmen against Brisbane.

We NEVER need two ruckman. We are useless with 2 rucks. It's like having 17 men on the ground as they do nothing when they are off the ball. they are useless up forward. What are they going to do, win a few extra taps and do nothing else. Can't believe people think we need two. Clubs often win clearances to losing rucks. I'd much rather  lose a few extra taps and let Casboult run around taking marks around the ground as he does when he's on the ball. He's a great get out when coming out of defence. It's his one big strength, which no-one could deny. Surely supporters have seen 2 rucks fail us time and time and time again. Unless a ruckman is a star at landing the ball consistently to their mids, which not many can do, and kill it around the ground, then they are totally overrated commodity. Hitouts to advantages not often go past 20%. Freo at their best, despite Sandilands dominance, lost the clearances most weeks. Rather one ruck and a bloke that can take a marks around the ground. Like, who wouldn't. Not only that Kreuzer is much better around the ground when we don't have a 2nd ruck. After all these years people have not seen that. When did we play our best footy this year, with one ruck. It's when Krezuer played his best footy. Two ruckman and one key forward kills 3 or 4 player's games. Like having only 14-15 players on the ground  One ruck two key forwards on the other hand, Kreuzer comes good, Casboult plays alot better and the 2nd key forward contributes as the defence is more spread. Then what happens too Everitt can kick goals too as he gets the 3rd or 4th tall. see how we went when we had two key forwards as compared to one. Structure is everything.  Problem is supporters would prefer to win 4-5 extra tap outs even if everything else turns to crap.

I'm thinking Jaksch will be much better forward that Kreuzer and Phillips will ever be, given the latter two are useless in the role, and that might not be saying much. To play forward i'd pick Jaskch any day over Phillips, especially if he's a 2nd key forward where he'd have much more room to move than he got the last time he got a go. He had no hope as a one out key forward. Anyone with a brain would've anticipated that he was going to stuggle under those circumstances. He's been good in the VFL.  You be more likely to pick Jones anyway who is way better than our rucks up forward and we know Jones isn't great.  Scoreboard tells all this year. Two rucks, one key forward, zero from 12, with an inablilty to kick score. One ruck, two forwards, we were much better and looked liked scoring most times we went into the 50. That's when we won games.

Anyone who think we need two rucks, to me, simply has not been following football. Lets face it, what are they actually going to do, win 5 extra taps? They'll still do nothing else after that. Get someone out that can do something around the ground.

Reply #25
@Laj

What we need Jim is two GOOD forwards.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
I'd much rather  lose a few extra taps and let Casboult run around taking marks around the ground as he does when he's on the ball.

That is not the reality.

Casboult takes almost zero D50 marks, he is a great lead-up target but Phillips and Kreuzer easily eclipse him in terms of defensive marking, they both get in the right position to stand under the long ball and force opposition around the boundary.

Further, in terms of ruck work, losing the tap is just a small part of it, Kreuzer is infinitely better than Phillips or Casboult once the ball hits the deck. There is no comparison. Stupidly we tend to have Cripps and Kreuzer working together, yet they often just get in each others way! Cripps tends to works far better in combination with Phillips because Phillips' follow up work is so much weaker than Kreuzer's, there is no hesitation Cripps juts gets the ball.

Bolton knows the value of Kreuzer playing well, what we need is a genuine marking target besides Casboult inside F50. McKay is the best long term option besides Curnow and Cripps. If we go and recruit another one or two forwards what happens to McKay and Curnow, will we then have a list with too many forwards, it sounds like that too many rucks argument from a couple of years ago!

I'd argue our best results this season occur when we have Casboult in tandem with Jones inside F50 with Kreuzer and Phillips staying out of the F50 zone.

Our best 2016 football between Rnd 5 and Rnd 9 we had two marking forwards and two rucks playing, on one occasion we had two rucks and three marking forwards when C.Curnow played!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Mitch Robinson very gracious towards his old club and has even been following us...the interviewer was doing his best to get some agro from Robbo towards us
but he wouldnt bite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8r2OREQ1U8

Reply #28
Bris Lions v Carlton

Jones, Cunningham in for Walker, Graham.

Reply #29
Finally Cunningham gets taste and Jones's persistence and hard work pays off. The outs were obvious. Thomas can consider himself lucky IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time