Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations (Read 45429 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs Sydney Pre Game Postulations

Reply #45
Casboult won't be getting dropped any time soon.

If gorringe comes in it will be at someone else's expense.

Can't afford to drop Casboult.   At worst he'll get the number one defender and at best he will get the second best defender.

Exactly!

Gorringe will have to do more than kick 3 goals in a VFL practice match before he takes anyone's spot.  He has been groomed for a third tall role but I can't see him displacing Everitt and he's well behind Phillips as second ruck.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Too soon for Levi to get dropped IMO. I think BB will persevere with him for 2 - 3 games to see if he can come good, and hopefully provide him with some assistance to practice his goal kicking in the meantime. We have to really find out for sure about him and there aren't too many other similar alternatives atm.

My tip would be one change only, Daisy in, probably for Buckley.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
Too soon for Levi to get dropped IMO. I think BB will persevere with him for 2 - 3 games to see if he can come good, and hopefully provide him with some assistance to practice his goal kicking in the meantime. We have to really find out for sure about him and there aren't too many other similar alternatives atm.

My tip would be one change only, Daisy in, probably for Buckley.

I really don't think Levi's goal kicking is all that important to Bolton.  It's whether he plays his role in the team that will determine whether he gets a game or not.  Kicking a few goals will help though.

I was thinking Daisy for Buckley but I'm not so sure now.  Daisy won't provide the defensive pressure in the forward 50 that Buckley did.  I think that Daisy will come in, but I'm not sure who will go out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
I really don't think Levi's goal kicking is all that important to Bolton.  It's whether he plays his role in the team that will determine whether he gets a game or not.  Kicking a few goals will help though.

I was thinking Daisy for Buckley but I'm not so sure now.  Daisy won't provide the defensive pressure in the forward 50 that Buckley did.  I think that Daisy will come in, but I'm not sure who will go out.

I guess the pressure on Levi to kick goals depends very much on whether we can find other avenues to goal. If we can and Levi can provide a marking target that can set up attacking plays and cause problems for opposition defences plus kick the odd goal then agree, he would be safer.

Agree, finding someone to make way for Daisy is not an easy choice, so if Daisy does come in he better put in a good one!  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50

Personally I would think dropping Buckley on the back of a "bad" one is a step in the wrong direction. Firstly, I say bad in inverted commas because he may have ticked every box the coach asked him to tick and we perceive as bad, the coach may know is is good. Secondly, if Buckley is part of the future, which from all reports he is, he deserves to be persisted with given where he is at in his growth. He deserves more than one bad one before he is chopped. To me, White was alot worse and should face the the chop ahead of DB.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Swans are the bench mark this year, if we play like we did last week we might get within 10 goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
Mate you are 0/1050 anyway.

Haha pay that. ????

I used to be here under the some of bigrocks who had a slightly better hit rate.

Reply #54
I guess the pressure on Levi to kick goals depends very much on whether we can find other avenues to goal. If we can and Levi can provide a marking target that can set up attacking plays and cause problems for opposition defences plus kick the odd goal then agree, he would be safer.

Agree, finding someone to make way for Daisy is not an easy choice, so if Daisy does come in he better put in a good one!  ;)

Personally I would think dropping Buckley on the back of a "bad" one is a step in the wrong direction. Firstly, I say bad in inverted commas because he may have ticked every box the coach asked him to tick and we perceive as bad, the coach may know is is good. Secondly, if Buckley is part of the future, which from all reports he is, he deserves to be persisted with given where he is at in his growth. He deserves more than one bad one before he is chopped. To me, White was alot worse and should face the the chop ahead of DB.

Inexperienced players get in the way inside F50, that is what Buckley was doing last Thursday, getting in the way.

It's a player like Daisy that will allow Casboult to get up the ground and away from goal, I'd love to see Daisy and Walker spending time within F50 together. They are both smart players who get to the right places which is key to F50 success, they won't close off space ball hunting they will open it up by dragging opponents away or demanding the ball when they are open. Buckley dragged opponents to the contest and called for the ball when he had nowhere to go more than once when he should have been protecting the ball carrier.

Our F50 looked much better when McLean, Waite, Henderson and Walker worked well together "when" given the opportunity. Casboult can play the Waite role, he is quite mobile and a reasonable field kick. Daisy is a suitable substitute for McLean, he is smart and won't sh1t on team-mates trying to get a kick. Walker just needs to keep being Walker, and there are plenty to substitute for Henderson.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
It's a big test for Bolton and the list this week. Sydney are in red hot form and have been able to get a look at how we are likely to set up for most of this season excluding injuries.

Sydney have the numbers to counter Gibbs and Murphy in the midfield, it will be interesting to see what Bolton does when these players get sat on by an opposition. Also what Bolton does to deal with the likes of Franklin and Tippett.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
It's a big test for Bolton and the list this week. Sydney are in red hot form and have been able to get a look at how we are likely to set up for most of this season excluding injuries.

Sydney have the numbers to counter Gibbs and Murphy in the midfield, it will be interesting to see what Bolton does when these players get sat on by an opposition. Also what Bolton does to deal with the likes of Franklin and Tippett.

Don't forget Cripps, Boekhurst, Graham, Kerridge, Wright and Curnow.

Again, we match up pretty well in the mids. Curnow on Parker, maybe Wright on Hannebury (sp?)?

Their monster mid Kennedy is a full 6cm shorter than Cripps though kg wise probably similar?

If Tippett's rucking a lot, that's an immediate win for us......

No McVeigh a big plus for us too.....

Who gets Buddy?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #57
Swans are the bench mark this year, if we play like we did last week we might get within 10 goals.

x2 Winning this will probably be the most significant win since we did Geelong and St Kilda over in 2010 but far more so given our position

Reply #58

I thought that we had quite an edge over Sydney's midfield in the NAB game.  Both were below full strength but I don't think that's the part of the game that will be giving Bolton headaches.  A lot will depend on whether we can lock the ball inside forward 50.

Reply #59
Don't forget Cripps, Boekhurst, Graham, Kerridge, Wright and Curnow.

Again, we match up pretty well in the mids. Curnow on Parker, maybe Wright on Hannebury (sp?)?

Their monster mid Kennedy is a full 6cm shorter than Cripps though kg wise probably similar?

If Tippett's rucking a lot, that's an immediate win for us......

No McVeigh a big plus for us too.....

Who gets Buddy?

Hannebury needs Cornow IMO. or maybe Gibbs....he is the major wheel now for the SWans now and their best player IMO.......I'd have Docherty on Parker..
Kennedy  and Cripps might play on each other but if Cripps is dominating I would expect Hannebury to pick him up...
Jack will get Murphy and that will be tough tag for the skipper who played and led well last week...

Buddy is back in town and looks keen which doesnt bode well for us....reckon he will get tag teamed through the game, dont think we have the one player who can go with him all day...
Interesting to see how the Swans next wave of mids ie Mitchell, Mills, Heeney go vs ours ie Graham, Boekhorst, Buckey(if he plays)...