Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 30606 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #45
Boekhorst got a bit of the ball in the VFL so he could be a chance, not sure what's going on with Dylan Buckley.
We've got about half a dozen small forwards, it's finding a good one that seems to be the problem.

Buckley is playing small defender down back in what I see as a last ditch effort to stay on the list.....wasnt impressed with him vs Port and
he lacks nous under pressure and is a poor decision maker.
Boekhorst......if you rated him a rookie pick then you are probably getting what you paid for, but if you rated him a top 20 pick
then you are going to be disappointed, no way is he senior material based on what I witnessed...

Reply #46
Buckley is playing small defender down back in what I see as a last ditch effort to stay on the list.....wasnt impressed with him vs Port and

Boekhorst......if you rated him a rookie pick then you are probably getting what you paid for, but if you rated him a top 20 pick
then you are going to be disappointed, no way is he senior material based on what I witnessed...

I'll cut Buckley some slack, but I think even he knows he needs to find another level to cut into the side.

Boekhorst I have to agree about, he doesn't seem to have another level, he looks to me to be another Kane Lucas or Troy Menzel. All I can say I hope he proves me wrong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47

We're barking up the wrong tree if we think that Buckley will get a spot as a running back.
Docherty, Simpson and Byrne to come, and who knows how good Williamson could be?
His only hope is as a small forward IMO and even that's a slim hope.
I've never really had much of an opinion of Boekhorst, or Lamb or Sumner either for that matter, I think Pickett shows more promise than any of them but it would be nice to have a couple.
Armfield is probably done and dusted but he's done well to play 140 games.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #48
On Lamb and Sumner : tough gig playing small forward for cfc at the moment.

Wright does OK at it.

I think Lamb and Sumner just don't have attributes necessary to be a success as a small forward/midfielder.  Samo and Pickett have gone past them - and the latter isn't setting the world on fire just yet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
We're barking up the wrong tree if we think that Buckley will get a spot as a running back.
Docherty, Simpson and Byrne to come, and who knows how good Williamson could be?
I've never really had much of an opinion of Boekhorst, or Lamb or Sumner either for that matter, I think Pickett shows more promise than any of them but it would be nice to have a couple.

X2

That's exactly as I see it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
I don't really understand the lack of like for Lamb. He's no elite, but I thought he did quite well last year, and his kicking for goal is pretty spot on.

Reply #51
No change this week I'm tipping.
Weitering should be OK to play, Kerridge and Palmer were both average but deserve another chance on a dry track.
Pickett is only just going but there aren't any small forwards in the VFL crying out to be picked, and even though he hasn't done much what he's done has shown some polish and flair and he has genuine pace.

Reckon the slower of Kerridge and Palmer will have to step aside for C Curnow to return, and that'd be the only change. The more time SPS and Pickett can play together the better with the conditions under the canopy this week likely to suit both. Nice headache to give opposition coaches, matching up on those two... and then there's that other small forward, Matty Wright, who likes a goal or three!

This will be such a big test for us, firstly, playing in completely different conditions to last week. Reality is that Sunday's conditions slowed cheats.com.au which helped us and there failure to adapt to the conditions was very confusing but worked to our advantage... and secondly, the GC will be a very different proposition with their pace (when the better GC fronts up, rather than the rabble that fronted up a fortnight ago).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #52

Buckley might survive purely by time catching up with Simmo.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #53
As Murphy said, our skills were not really a major factor in the attrocious conditions but they will be a much bigger factor v. The Suns.  We will have minimise errors because they will punish them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
I don't really understand the lack of like for Lamb. He's no elite, but I thought he did quite well last year, and his kicking for goal is pretty spot on.

Like Sumner, Lamb simply doesn't do enough.  We need small forwards who can kick goals, help lock the ball into the forward 50 and do their bit in the midfield rotations.

Reply #55
Any chance Smedts gets a gig?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #56
Too many smalls on our list who aren't forwards or mids. They'll be thinned at end of season.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #57
Will be interesting to see the effect of a win. Hopefully it has built a bit of confidence.

Reply #58
Buckley might survive purely by time catching up with Simmo.

Buckley has been around for 6 or 7 seasons now. Hasn't made the grade.

He won't get any better now.

Gone at the end of this season.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #59
We need to shut down and play a hard tag on the little master.  He might not be as damaging as he once was but as a team they seem to grow an extra leg when he is touching the footy. They don't have the same look about them when he is off his game plus he hates not having an influence and his attitude rubs off badly on his team mates when he cracks the sooks.

As he has lost a yard of pace I reckon Curnow can and has to negate his influence to help our chances.

If he gets 30 plus and kicks a few goals i reckon they win. Stopping him is a must to winning.