Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 30622 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #60
As Murphy said, our skills were not really a major factor in the attrocious conditions but they will be a much bigger factor v. The Suns.  We will have minimise errors because they will punish them.

I think (hope!) the confidence gained from the Bombers win will see a direct translation into improved skill levels. Self belief is a very, very powerful thing!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
We're barking up the wrong tree if we think that Buckley will get a spot as a running back.
Docherty, Simpson and Byrne to come, and who knows how good Williamson could be?
His only hope is as a small forward IMO

Yeah, I agree.  He's a decent kick for goal, that bomb against the Dees (I think) last year in the rain was a belter.  He's a natural half forward I would have thought.....and we're not inundated with others of this type.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #62
I think (hope!) the confidence gained from the Bombers win will see a direct translation into improved skill levels. Self belief is a very, very powerful thing!

Agree and beating the Bummers was a great booster for our guys' belief. They executed a wet weather plan extremely well.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
Buckley has been around for 6 or 7 seasons now. Hasn't made the grade.

He won't get any better now.

Gone at the end of this season.

I appreciate this point, however I see Simpson's career starting to taper off, and Buckley knows the role, and has shown that he can play it in a tandem with Docherty as recently as last season.

Just because Simpson is still keeping him out of the side, doesn't mean that Buckley can't make the grade in a similar role.

He has a few endearing attributes that we currently don't have in abundance (Pace) and in the JLT series copped a knock that stifled his ability to run.

He may very well go at the end of the season, but I wouldnt be quick to give him up without looking at what else we have coming into the side which is absolutely crucial to competant list management.  Sheehan is in a similar boat.  These blokes are currently marking time and need to make a mark or their AFL careers will come to an end.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #64
I appreciate this point, however I see Simpson's career starting to taper off, and Buckley knows the role, and has shown that he can play it in a tandem with Docherty as recently as last season.

Just because Simpson is still keeping him out of the side, doesn't mean that Buckley can't make the grade in a similar role.

He has a few endearing attributes that we currently don't have in abundance (Pace) and in the JLT series copped a knock that stifled his ability to run.

He may very well go at the end of the season, but I wouldnt be quick to give him up without looking at what else we have coming into the side which is absolutely crucial to competant list management.  Sheehan is in a similar boat.  These blokes are currently marking time and need to make a mark or their AFL careers will come to an end.

I tend to agree with most of that, but I think Buckley needs to bridge a huge gap in intensity and consistency to get in the Simpson/Docherty type role.  Plus if Simmo retires and we get hold of a KPF, we'll find Weiters drifting back which pushes Plowman and Marchbank into spots Simmo traditionally held. Lets not forget Byrne who is the goods, and as you suggest Sheahan who could also be the goods.

FWIW, I think Sheehan and Byrne are significantly better balls users than Buckley, possibly better ball users than Simmo! Can they read the play though? :o

Pickett, SPS are the goods for small forwards, Wright and Murphy have only a handful of years maybe Buckley needs to find a forward spot he can fill, very, very quickly!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Agree and beating the Bummers was a great booster for our guys' belief. They executed a wet weather plan extremely well.
[/b]

Do as you're told and you won't get into trouble....as all parents say  :D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #66
Will be interesting to see the effect of a win. Hopefully it has built a bit of confidence.

Indeed. Let's just hope the confidence thing doesn't apply to our opponents ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #67
Where we win or lose this game is our forward line pressure.

If we lock the ball in when We have it up there we win. If we allow them to rebound without pressure they will kill us. It's as simple as that!

Reply #69
Guy in the know on Big Footy says Fisher and Charlie for Kerridge and Palmer.

We shall find out.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #72
Rather get another game in Charlie than waste it on someone else.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #73
IN: Fisher and Curnow
OUT: Palmer and Kerridge.

Out with the slow, in with the quick (and future)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
Backs   26. Harrison Macreadie   17. Sam Rowe   20. Lachie Plowman
Half-backs   15. Sam Docherty   22. Caleb Marchbank   31. Tom Williamson
Centreline   35. Ed Curnow   9. Patrick Cripps   6. Kade Simpson
Half-forwards   39. Dale Thomas   23. Jacob Weitering   5. Samo Petrevski-Seton
Forwards   46. Matthew Wright   8. Matthew Kreuzer   1. Jack Silvagni
Followers   41. Levi Casboult   4. Bryce Gibbs   3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange   43. Simon White   25. Zac Fisher   30. Charlie Curnow
33. Jarrod Pickett   
Emergencies   16. Billie Smedts   32. Nick Graham   19. Liam Sumner
In: Fisher, C.Curnow

Out: Sam Kerridge (omitted), Rhys Palmer (omitted)

New: Zac Fisher (Perth Demons, WA)