Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34401 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #60
NOT too many years ago if you were looking for cult heroes at Carlton the options included Ricky Mott, Micky Martin and Simon “Chief” Wiggins.

As Carlton unveiled its leadership group for the upcoming season, the horse flesh on display resembled the barriers at the Golden Slipper.

In the last days of January everyone is burning up the track, and in fact one official was heard to remark: “Liam Jones is flying”.

But if Carlton’s green shoots are still yet to burst into full bloom, the kids on display made you ponder a key choice for younger members of the Carlton faithful.

If you were a Blues fan replacing Bryce Gibbs’ No. 4 on the back of your jumper next week, who would you choose from.

Would it be the Great White Hope in Charlie Curnow, on Wednesday taking soaring leaps in match simulation then hurtling along the boundary as the back marker against midfielders in running drills?

Or the AFL’s great resurrection story in Liam Jones, who Marc Murphy described as “an absolute bull” having built on last year’s gains this summer?

While Curnow was taking flying leaps on the tackle bag, Harry McKay, potentially his foil for the next decade, was hauling in marks with a frame now well over two metres.

He has bulked up, is over last year’s turf toe and about to start winning his own Carlton fan club.

Recently, last year’s No. 10 draft selection Lochie O’Brien showcased his raw athleticism with a second placing in a club time trial, not bad for a kid who also has a cannon of a left foot.

If he or No. 3 pick Paddy Dow can make the same splash as the “Halls Creek Freak”, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Blues fans might forget about Gibbs quicker than they think.

The point is not to over-hype Carlton as January champions, especially given they famously failed to capitalise on three straight No. 1 overall picks this century.

And won only one of 10 games on the way home last season.

And yet as departing chief executive Steven Trigg said last year: “We are doing what we said we are going to do”.

As in take three full drafts of players, teach them the right way, then hope they have stockpiled enough star kids who will not only excite but turn into regular matchwinners.

Murphy says Carlton’s progress over the summer can be measured not only in the kids on show but the attitude of players like full back Jones.

“The way in which he played that second half of the year last season impressed everyone,” he said.

“But he has come back and trained the house down. He is looking forward to stringing a full season together and showing it wasn’t a once-off last year.

“The way he trains with his intensity is just unbelievable. I am not sure if you picked it up from watching today’s (match simulation) but he’s an absolute bull out there and you love playing with those guys.”

Time will tell if recruits Matthew Kennedy (easing back from shoulder surgery), Darcy Lang and the young mids can fill the gap left by the accomplished Gibbs.

Yet finally there is depth in most positions, with Cam O’Shea, Alex Williamson, Aaron Mullett and David Cuningham among the contenders to play half back alongside Lachie Plowman and Kade Simpson.

Where does it get them, after six wins last year and seven in 2016?

Hope only gets you so far, which is why the critics will justifiably look for higher scores, quicker ball movement and perhaps 8-10 wins in 2018.

But February is a time for dreaming, and at last for Carlton fans those flights of fancy are rooted in reality rather than wild fantasy.

Reply #61
For the first time in many years I await the start of the season with a sense of true excitement. I think we may be in for a bit of a treat but we must try to temper this and keep expectations within reasonable bounds.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62
Thanks for that Townsendcalling  :)

It's a good positive article and good work from Murphy to pump up the tyres of Jones and co.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
For the first time in many years I await the start of the season with a sense of true excitement. I think we may be in for a bit of a treat but we must try to temper this and keep expectations within reasonable bounds.  ;)

I know exactly what you mean. The last couple of seasons I've been excited to see the kids debut, but have been realistic in the expectations of our likeliness to win games. This year is a little different, I think we're a real chance to be a competitive team and take some major strides forward. I don't think we'll make finals or anything just yet...but I don't think anyone will be making jokes about our playing list or premiership prospects moving forward.

Reply #64
"The first two years it may look like it’s a slow build on the outside, but we have worked really hard on our discipline in defence,’’ Murphy said.

“It’s no surprise we are trying to bring some more attacking flair into our game and we have got some guys who have been training really well who have got a lot of talent in our forward line.

“We look forward to seeing what those guys can do and want to add another string to our bow to what we have worked hard on the last couple of years — strengthening up some of our attacking play.

“It is something we have been really focusing on.”

This is what we want to hear!!!

Reply #65
NOT too many years ago if you were looking for cult heroes at Carlton the options included Ricky Mott, Micky Martin and Simon “Chief” Wiggins.

As Carlton unveiled its leadership group for the upcoming season, the horse flesh on display resembled the barriers at the Golden Slipper.

In the last days of January everyone is burning up the track, and in fact one official was heard to remark: “Liam Jones is flying”.

But if Carlton’s green shoots are still yet to burst into full bloom, the kids on display made you ponder a key choice for younger members of the Carlton faithful.

If you were a Blues fan replacing Bryce Gibbs’ No. 4 on the back of your jumper next week, who would you choose from.

Would it be the Great White Hope in Charlie Curnow, on Wednesday taking soaring leaps in match simulation then hurtling along the boundary as the back marker against midfielders in running drills?

Or the AFL’s great resurrection story in Liam Jones, who Marc Murphy described as “an absolute bull” having built on last year’s gains this summer?

While Curnow was taking flying leaps on the tackle bag, Harry McKay, potentially his foil for the next decade, was hauling in marks with a frame now well over two metres.

He has bulked up, is over last year’s turf toe and about to start winning his own Carlton fan club.

Recently, last year’s No. 10 draft selection Lochie O’Brien showcased his raw athleticism with a second placing in a club time trial, not bad for a kid who also has a cannon of a left foot.

If he or No. 3 pick Paddy Dow can make the same splash as the “Halls Creek Freak”, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Blues fans might forget about Gibbs quicker than they think.

The point is not to over-hype Carlton as January champions, especially given they famously failed to capitalise on three straight No. 1 overall picks this century.

And won only one of 10 games on the way home last season.

And yet as departing chief executive Steven Trigg said last year: “We are doing what we said we are going to do”.

As in take three full drafts of players, teach them the right way, then hope they have stockpiled enough star kids who will not only excite but turn into regular matchwinners.

Murphy says Carlton’s progress over the summer can be measured not only in the kids on show but the attitude of players like full back Jones.

“The way in which he played that second half of the year last season impressed everyone,” he said.

“But he has come back and trained the house down. He is looking forward to stringing a full season together and showing it wasn’t a once-off last year.

“The way he trains with his intensity is just unbelievable. I am not sure if you picked it up from watching today’s (match simulation) but he’s an absolute bull out there and you love playing with those guys.”

Time will tell if recruits Matthew Kennedy (easing back from shoulder surgery), Darcy Lang and the young mids can fill the gap left by the accomplished Gibbs.

Yet finally there is depth in most positions, with Cam O’Shea, Alex Williamson, Aaron Mullett and David Cuningham among the contenders to play half back alongside Lachie Plowman and Kade Simpson.

Where does it get them, after six wins last year and seven in 2016?

Hope only gets you so far, which is why the critics will justifiably look for higher scores, quicker ball movement and perhaps 8-10 wins in 2018.

But February is a time for dreaming, and at last for Carlton fans those flights of fancy are rooted in reality rather than wild fantasy.
Who's Alex Williamson?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
I know exactly what you mean. The last couple of seasons I've been excited to see the kids debut, but have been realistic in the expectations of our likeliness to win games. This year is a little different, I think we're a real chance to be a competitive team and take some major strides forward. I don't think we'll make finals or anything just yet...but I don't think anyone will be making jokes about our playing list or premiership prospects moving forward.

Yes, well put NM.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #68
Who's Alex Williamson?

the beast that emerges when Willo masters his ACOS lessons  :P
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #69
I have given this a lot of thought and have gone from ebing excited to see a name like Plowman in there, to a little disappointed Carlton has named so many in the leadership group. I think it is more than double the size it should be when I give it more reflection.

I can't think of any situation I remember where there were 4 peers to 1 leader in any team of any size. It is too many.
I think it is incumbent upon a Plowman type to just spend his time acting like a leader and yeap, being groomed and called into some meetings as part of that grooming, but he shouldn't be there.

Simmo doesn't need to be there and ACOS doesn't either. These guys can still lead just through their actions and general seniority, without the need to make them part of the leadership group.

Murphy and 2 of Doc, Cripps, Kreuzer & Curnow.
As much as I see Doc as a potential future captain, I would leave him out this year and make the tough choice on the other 2, including getting them to present why they want to be a leader of the club.

Nothing wrong with making tough decisions, there are clubs with a lot more natural leaders in their teams that don't get picked for their leadership groups.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #70
Last year the Tigers chopped their leadership group from 5 to 3.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #71
Given the high number of young players on our list, a bigger leadership group is not an unreasonable approach to take. As the players become older, more experienced etc., I'm sure the leadership group will shrink.

Reply #72
Given the high number of young players on our list, a bigger leadership group is not an unreasonable approach to take. As the players become older, more experienced etc., I'm sure the leadership group will shrink.

I don't really understand that logic Paul, I think you are saying there are so many 'learning' because of the youth profile, so therefore more leaders are needed, but I don't buy into that at all.
The club already appoints mentors to the young players and ou might have one lead mentor for the entire U/21 group, but I think larger leaderships dilute messages, as unintentional as it may be, because each 'leader' will have a different way of delivering their message. There are people that others will naturally gravitate to also and that is okay, they don't need to be in the official leadership, but to me.. having a small number of leaders that absolutely make the defining calls is key.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #73
MIO. We're operating in a knowledge vacuum to a large degree. We don't know the actual day to day mechanics of how leadership groups work. What power does a leadership group have ? How binding is this power ? Lots of things we don't know.

If we look at guys like Alex Silvagni and Simmo, they are short term appointments IMO and I can't see them being there next season.

Reply #74
I have given this a lot of thought and have gone from ebing excited to see a name like Plowman in there, to a little disappointed Carlton has named so many in the leadership group. I think it is more than double the size it should be when I give it more reflection.

I can't think of any situation I remember where there were 4 peers to 1 leader in any team of any size. It is too many.
I think it is incumbent upon a Plowman type to just spend his time acting like a leader and yeap, being groomed and called into some meetings as part of that grooming, but he shouldn't be there.

Simmo doesn't need to be there and ACOS doesn't either. These guys can still lead just through their actions and general seniority, without the need to make them part of the leadership group.

Murphy and 2 of Doc, Cripps, Kreuzer & Curnow.
As much as I see Doc as a potential future captain, I would leave him out this year and make the tough choice on the other 2, including getting them to present why they want to be a leader of the club.

Nothing wrong with making tough decisions, there are clubs with a lot more natural leaders in their teams that don't get picked for their leadership groups.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree MIO.

The size of the leadership group should be governed by the number of players we have who can make a difference as a leader of the club.  There is no magic number; it may have been three or four back in 2012 and it may be eight or nine in in 2019.  Of course, the role of the leadership group has evolved considerably since 2012 and is a quantum leap away from what I did as skipper of an under 19 team back in the dark ages.

As I have banged on about previously, Bolton clearly saw a problem with our leadership and our approach to leadership and we poached Anthony Klarica from Hawthorn to address that.  From the snippets we see of club meetings and meetings of the leadership group, we now have young men whose leadership abilities have blossomed and whose messages to the playing group are taken on board. Despite our losses, the influence of our leaders was very evident in encouraging the team to play out games and minimise blow outs.

Succession planning in leadership is essential and the club has made it clear that Murphy has begun grooming his successors.  It's essential that Docherty is in the leadership group if he is in the running to take over from Murphy.

Another consideration is reward for effort, and that is a characteristic of Bolton's approach.  I think that the elevation of Kreuzer, Silvagni and Plowman to the leadership group is due recognition of their work, and leadership abilities, and will motivate them and others to lift efforts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball