Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4544 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #105
After rd 8

2023: 4 1/2 wins 107%
2024: 5 wins 109%

Hopefully we don't fall as far as last year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #106
re: Williams......a nervous player when played down back and and when you add Young plus two inexperienced defenders in Cowan and Cincotta it puts a lot of pressure on Weitering to be the glue thats holds the backline together.
I think Williams has to play on the weakest small forward and never on the last line close to goal and my preference if he has to play is on the wing where he use his skillset to carry the ball and deliver and be removed from having to mind a man.
I cant see him in the team when we have our full crew back and ditto for Fantasia and Durdin.

What people forget is that Saad can lock down and run and create, with him out Williams is asked to do his job.
Williams copped heaps last week and was nervous on Friday as the two early frees showed.
When 1st choice players are back and guys like Williams can return to their preferred run and gun position the whole team will look and perform better.
And don’t get me started on the fb bananas who wanted to play Kemp on Cox without McGovern there to come over the top… 🤦🏼‍♂️

And those two early frees for scragging… didn’t seem to get paid at the other end of the ground, did they ?

1 goal loss with our cobbled together team, I’ll wear that.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #107
And those two early frees for scragging… didn’t seem to get paid at the other end of the ground, did they ?
As I always state, it's not the free kick count that matters, it's the where and when!

Williams infringement was subtle, almost benign compared to how they dry humped Walsh well before he got anywhere near touching the pill.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
What people forget is that Saad can lock down and run and create, with him out Williams is asked to do his job.
Williams copped heaps last week and was nervous on Friday as the two early frees showed.
When 1st choice players are back and guys like Williams can return to their preferred run and gun position the whole team will look and perform better.
And don’t get me started on the fb bananas who wanted to play Kemp on Cox without McGovern there to come over the top… 🤦🏼‍♂️

1 goal loss with our cobbled together team, I’ll wear that.
Umpiring was fickled and Harry in particular was held without frees being paid.
Young on Cox was the obvious move given the height factor. I would never have dropped Kemp though.
As I said I can't see Williams being in the team with everyone fit, it's hard to carry him as just an offensive player.

Reply #109
Umpiring was fickled and Harry in particular was held without frees being paid.
Young on Cox was the obvious move given the height factor. I would never have dropped Kemp though.
As I said I can't see Williams being in the team with everyone fit, it's hard to carry him as just an offensive player.

I disagree, people forget the Freo game where Williams and his dash and dare won us the game.
Saad excels at his role, Williams is a poor man’s replacement but it’s temporary.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #110
Williams has another two years to run on his contract after this year - at 29 y.o I seriously dont know where his overinflated pay cheque fits on the list as 18 y.o kids perform at same level . We need to give up a 2nd round pick to get him off the list.

Reply #111
After rd 8

2023: 4 1/2 wins 107%
2024: 5 wins 109%

Hopefully we don't fall as far as last year.

We lost around 6 games in a row to drop so far, and then recovering with around 9 games in a row. I can’t see any side having 9 wins from 9 games. The competition is far more even with the top 10 sides. Top 4 placing for us might get more difficult than last season. Especially if you fall 3 or 4 games behind. Voss is doing more than a reasonable job. He can’t do the work on the field. Just select the squad with some thought.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #112
The persistent problem we have, and which seems to have no solution, is that too many of our good senior players are physically fragile and are unavailable for selection for long periods of time, making it impossible to have a cohesive unit.

On the rare occasions when most of them do play on the same day we are given a glimpse of what is possible.  Then the injuries start again.

Unfortunately it is possible that where we are now on the ladder is as good as it gets with this list.

Sad but true. We've remained faithfully optimistic about our injury prone players. Add the "normal" run of inevitable injuries to this core and you have a serious problem Houston.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #113
I disagree, people forget the Freo game where Williams and his dash and dare won us the game.
Saad excels at his role, Williams is a poor man’s replacement but it’s temporary.
NT, We will agree to disagree on ZW...with players returning it will be interesting to see if the coach has faith in him and he keeps his place..

Reply #114
Williams coped two umpiring clangers early and fans spent the next four quarters blaming him for everything, he wasn't that bad.

Walsh left Daicos free unchecked in F50 in the critical game ending final moment, and fans are silent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
Out coached is interesting.   I cant really take it when you lose by a goal and the scores were level with 2 minutes left. 

Do you get outcoached in that circumstance? 
Pues had extra rest too after anzac day.  The second quarter was our worst and where we let the game slip but our handballs and errant kicking had more to do with it than being out coached.

Irrespective of what we say we played last seasons premiers who have started hitting their stride recently.  It had danger game written all ober it from the get go. 
Ok Ill call a spade a spade and shoot Bambi, Walsh either fell asleep or had the wrong mindset at that stoppage. With the scores level and close to their goal, a defensive mindset had to be first and foremost. We let that happen too many times on the night, the last one was costly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #116
There are plenty of small problem
Charlie Curnows contested posession rate is over 60% for a key forward it needs to be under 50%. So he is working way too hard to win his posessions... thats down to various things - not giving him space to lead into and contesting ground balls which is not his job but has to go for them as small forwards are no where near it.
Lack of run and covering the ground. Filth always had 2-3 players tackling one Blue we did not reciprocate because we didnt have the team composition to cover the ground.
For a bloke who is meant to be an aerobic beast, he doesn't get on his bike much in an attempt to run his opponent ragged (or lay a tackle heaven forebid).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #117
For a bloke who is meant to be an aerobic beast, he doesn't get on his bike much in an attempt to run his opponent ragged (or lay a tackle heaven forebid).

He is still an aerobic beast.

Difference is he is 100kg or whatever he is.

It's the starting, stopping, changing direction that sucks up energy.

Get him on a long distance run and he'll go all day. He's like a truck on the highway, get him up to speed and he can cruise all day. Change his cruising speed and it takes a lot of time and energy to get back up to speed.

Reply #118
What Zac Williams needs more than anything is some luck and the BOD. No doubt his career to date at Carlton has been a little underwhelming, but that's not surprising, given the significant professional and personal setbacks he's dealt with. It's hard enough firing on all cylinders in an elite performance environment when things are going your way.

Reply #119
Williams coped two umpiring clangers early and fans spent the next four quarters blaming him for everything, he wasn't that bad.

Walsh left Daicos free unchecked in F50 in the critical game ending final moment, and fans are silent!
He gave away 2 or 3 frees for holding plain and simple, his opponents had him bluffed. Not a defenders a-hole.
I called out Walsh immediately and will continue to.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th