Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59941 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #210
Fair enough. My reasoning has to do with a couple of factors :

1. If he is closer to goal, it increases the chance of him kicking goals, which is a confidence booster for him and a morale booster for the team. He has no trouble clunking marks - it's what happens after that is the problem. Having him at FF would also save some gas, which is no bad thing with the new reduced rotations.
2. I also think it plays into opposition hands to have him further from goal. Clearly the rest of the comp know he is an elite mark, so I reckon they'd be less worried if he was clunking them 50 out rather than 20 out. I know if I was the opposition coach, I wouldn't want Cas playing at FF. If he gets double or triple teamed, it creates problems for the defense and chances for our other forwards.

My 2cents.

No such thing as FF / CHF these days really. They all just roam around the ground.

Nobody seemed to be able to take a contested mark last night. Casboult missed a truckload that he'd normally clunk.

Hopefully he saved all his good play for the tiges.

Reply #211
True enough - if that's the case, then hopefully the end of his roaming will be about 20m from goal, with a set shot to come............

Reply #212
Cripps 24 pos 16 contested.  9 clearances 4 tackles

He only played 53% of the game.

ridiculous how good this guy is.

Reply #213
No such thing as FF / CHF these days really. They all just roam around the ground.

Nobody seemed to be able to take a contested mark last night. Casboult missed a truckload that he'd normally clunk.

Hopefully he saved all his good play for the tiges.

Key forwards have to present as a marking target when the ball is coming out of defence.  How often did a key forward stay inside the forward 50 when the ball was at the opposite end of the ground?

Marking was quite ordinary with players from both sides seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball  ???  There were some exceptions, Rowe and Weitering for example.  Phillips judged the flight perfectly on one occasion but his hands were so hard that there was a resounding clap and the ball flew metres away.  It was like he had decided to do a double handed palm out  :o

I thought that the Swans did well to stop Casboult getting a run at the ball and he was forced into contests against two opponents.  Having another genuine marking target would make his life a lot easier.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #214
Cripps 24 pos 16 contested.  9 clearances 4 tackles

He only played 53% of the game.

ridiculous how good this guy is.

Are those figures correct ? Crikey that's impressive. He played basically 2 quarters, against a hardened, premiership midfield going full tilt, and averaging out his figures, per quarter he had 12 possies (8 contested), 4 clearances and 2 tackles. Golly.

Actually, that tackle count is pretty low. Sack him.

Reply #215
Fair enough. My reasoning has to do with a couple of factors :

1. If he is closer to goal, it increases the chance of him kicking goals, which is a confidence booster for him and a morale booster for the team. He has no trouble clunking marks - it's what happens after that is the problem. Having him at FF would also save some gas, which is no bad thing with the new reduced rotations.
2. I also think it plays into opposition hands to have him further from goal. Clearly the rest of the comp know he is an elite mark, so I reckon they'd be less worried if he was clunking them 50 out rather than 20 out. I know if I was the opposition coach, I wouldn't want Cas playing at FF. If he gets double or triple teamed, it creates problems for the defense and chances for our other forwards.

My 2cents.

Casboult will always get the double team until we get another decent marking target who can drag some heat of the Boult and leave him one out....reckon we need a leading FF who can work up the ground more and suck opposing players up the ground..Jaksch or Foster would be the ones I would try....

Reply #216
Casboult will always get the double team until we get another decent marking target who can drag some heat of the Boult and leave him one out....reckon we need a leading FF who can work up the ground more and suck opposing players up the ground..Jaksch or Foster would be the ones I would try....

Where's the "Bring Back Fev" thread ?

Reply #219
Prefer Wood many times over than the other two. Held up our rucks nicely last year.

Casboult showed last year he was decent enough to fill a role. Kicked goals and rucked ok. Not a star at all in either role but decent and as a combined role he is valuable. marking around the ground is certainly a strength even if he's not as good in the tap ruck department as the others. Hence he got quite a bit of interest last year. Just not sure playing him full time forward as it seems to get bogged down and it saps his confidence. A run on the ball tends to change that in both roles.

I can't see Casboult as either a key forward or pinch hit ruckman who kicks a few goals in a top class finals team, and that's what we should be aiming at being.
As of today he's as good as anything else we've got, which isn't saying much at all.
We've accepted mediocrity for far too long.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #220
Cas was below his normal standards clunking-wise last night. But still contributed really well and brought the ball down in front of the pack time and again.... didn't have a front and centre crumber all night.

Reply #221
Nicky G and Boeky are CLEARLY the two that look to have come on a little over the break. Boeky has some freakish ability, looks every bit a player.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #222
Cas was below his normal standards clunking-wise last night. But still contributed really well and brought the ball down in front of the pack time and again.... didn't have a front and centre crumber all night.

The Swans did a good job of whacking his arms and stopping his run at the ball but he was still a good contributor.  Given that he had an interrupted pre-season, his tank was pretty good and better than I expected.  He cleaned up one of the Swans too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #223
I don't remember Whiley getting caught with the ball last night, that has to be a plus !!

Lamb was trying hard, still hasn't shown a great deal, but worth persisting with atm imo.

Rowe needs to snap out of this streak of poor form, he has shown a lot better in the past, here's hoping he can find similar form again in the future, and quickly.

Gibbs didn't look all that interested last night, I'm hoping he was just in 'pre-season' mode.

Phillips is way ahead of Gorringe as a ruckman, Gorringe did a couple of nice things, but not nearly enough. Hopefully Phillips will start sticking some marks soon.

Our forward structure looked next to non existent, that's a coaching issue, I rarely saw a player on the lead. A stagnant forward line is much easier to defend.

Cripps looks as though he is ready to continue on from last year. Graham is looking good, Boeky has stepped it up from last year, Kerridge is a beast, Wright showed a bit, Walker looked rusty.

Weitering is all class, he just needs a quality partner in crime down back for the next 10 years to support him.

All in all, it's good to see a game plan that when fully implemented will challenge any team. There are definitely sprouts and shoots showing, how quickly they will reach full maturity, we will just have to wait and see !!

Go Blues !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #224
Weitering is all class, he just needs a quality partner in crime down back for the next 10 years to support him.

I think the Jesse Glass McCasker kid is a better than even chance of becoming a real player.

Big athletic unit too - comparisons to Rance. Biger than Rance!

Don't forget Lachie Plowman - 200 game gun player (AA selection blah blah) for the mighty Blues.
Finals, then 4 in a row!