Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59925 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #240
People read too much into the pre-season.

Defenders have nothing to gain, mids have everything to lose, and forwards should display hunger at all times.

I never known a forward worth half a piece of dog crape to give up the opportunity for a cheap goal, most serious achievers would walk over their dying grandmother for a shot at goal. If you see a forward taking short steps in pre-season trade them on, they will always let you down. Their hunger is always the next shot!

Defenders live on desperation, but there is nothing to be desperate about in the NAB Cup. Watch out for the guys who get there and stop at 90%, they have already done the hard work, they know what needs to come next. Avoid the guys who look lost or who bust a gut and lose!

Mids need to tune up their skills and systems, but they risk the same collision injuries in pre-season that they are likely to get in the big dance. Smart mids manage their way through pre-season, they win or draw contests without putting it all on the line. The guys that lose contest after contest are losers, but don't confuse drawing with losing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #241
Yes, I watched it. He's a no talent hack. The only time he takes a mark, and it's hold your breath when he goes for it, is when he's on his own without an opponent being within 20 metres of him.
And you can completely forget about him being able to read the play. Compare him and Weitering, and it's no contest.

Just accept that he's a liability being on the ground, and the next time he stuffs up, which will be against Richmond, you won't want to throw a brick at the TV screen in frustration.

From conversations that I have had with people at the club, they are fully aware that he's a spud.
If you can provide me with evidence where Bolton has publicly even mentioned Rowe once and that he "rates" him, I will defer to your knowledge on this subject.

I was at the game and we would have had another ten goal flogging if Rowe wasn't on the ground.  He took five marks and had several decisive spoils, a couple against Buddy. Rowe's performance was considerably better than Jamison's and his grunt work allowed Weitering to zone off.

Bolton has made it perfectly clear that he won't talk about individual performances and he's said nothing about Rowe or other players.  The fact that Rowe is our first choice CHB probably gives some idea of how Bolton and the other coaches rate him.  Just accept that Rowe is getting a game and will continue to do so until we recruit or develop another couple of key defenders; Jamison will probably go before Rowe. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #242
I was at the game and we would have had another ten goal flogging if Rowe wasn't on the ground.  He took five marks and had several decisive spoils, a couple against Buddy. Rowe's performance was considerably better than Jamison's and his grunt work allowed Weitering to zone off.

Bolton has made it perfectly clear that he won't talk about individual performances and he's said nothing about Rowe or other players.  The fact that Rowe is our first choice CHB probably gives some idea of how Bolton and the other coaches rate him.  Just accept that Rowe is getting a game and will continue to do so until we recruit or develop another couple of key defenders; Jamison will probably go before Rowe.

We are an awful football side.  When we are getting enthusiastic about Jones etc. we are kidding ourselves.   The truth is, we have NO forwards.  If you don't have people who can kick goals when that is what the whole game is really all about, then we are a joke at best.  How we haven't detected this issue over the past 5 years and tried to groom some people for this job, and I don't mean hacks, is beyond me.  In fact we have done the opposite, traded them away.  I'm not sold on Bolton either.  Stop talking about 'oh we only used 90 rotations' etc.   mate I don't care about rotations... teach them to kick the damn ball through the goal first.  

Reply #243
We are an awful football side.  When we are getting enthusiastic about Jones etc. we are kidding ourselves.   The truth is, we have NO forwards.  If you don't have people who can kick goals when that is what the whole game is really all about, then we are a joke at best.  How we haven't detected this issue over the past 5 years and tried to groom some people for this job, and I don't mean hacks, is beyond me.  In fact we have done the opposite, traded them away.  I'm not sold on Bolton either.  Stop talking about 'oh we only used 90 rotations' etc.   mate I don't care about rotations... teach them to kick the damn ball through the goal first.

You may have to change your handle  ;)

Is anyone getting enthusiastic about Jones?

I reckon we are better than awful and on our way to becoming an average football side.  If we're going to progress to above average, we need to find at least another key defender, a key forward and a goal kicking ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #244
its going to be long hard and slow.
there will be glimpses, but i guess we're following the progress of the new wave, the next generation rather than the result.
If you can get you head around that we will finish bottom 4 again but continually improve, albeit slowly, but a sustained success
in 5 years, finals, 7-8 years min to challenge, thats the way its going to be, providing the board and the factions stay the fk out of football business.
I like bolton, he's measured, and is the right person for this job. 1-2 more years of malthouse would have destroyed this club and its membership base

Reply #245

Amen. Sadly, Jamo is a liability as far back as I can remember.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #246

That's a troll worthy post at best.

Any true supporter knows we are building from the ground up. We have recruited a quality list of kids that potentially address our current deficiencies with time to make adjustments as required. Bolts comes from a club that has won the last 3 flags and has impressed everyone except you it would seem.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #247
I'm happy with Bolts but I've always seen Rowe as a spudnick. Just too unreliable.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #248
Rowe may have managed a few spoils on Friday, but every time he took possession things went to sh#t. Same deal against Essendon. If only we had drafted Collins.

Reply #249
Why would the club put each of the 4 quarters up on the site for replay and when you go to play them, they are "Out of Bounds"????? ::) ::) ::)

Reply #251
Rowe and Jamo are a long way from being the commandig figures we so badly need at the centre of our defence but they are all we have to get us through this year until we develop or bring in alternatives. They are now the interims and fortunately Weitering looks like he'll be positioned to take over one slot by next year. Hopefully Plowman will be ready for the other.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #253
Plowman isn't big enough to play KP at senior level.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #254
Nup, I reckon I pay enough for my sports as it is Carrots ;)

A cheaper means of watching the footy is the international pass from the AFL and accessed via a VPN. Provided your broadband is fast enough it works pretty well and is free of ads. It also offers replys on demand. I found it pretty good the last 2 years in Europe.

I don't mind Rowe going around again this season. What I hope is that by round 15 he is dropped and Jacksh and weitering are challenging for the role. Rowe is a VFL player, but he is a big body, works hard and is committed. At the moment this is the standard at Carlton, so beggers can't etc.

Our lack of depth will hurt as over the year as injuries mount as they always do. But standards will rise as expectations do. Our ball movement already looked better over the preseason and this in turn will force players to keep finding position and creating options. It takes alot more communication to do this and as we have been so down in the dumps, the static clumsy play is easier to understand.

BTW, the stupid rule against colliding with a player's legs was again demonstrated on Friday. Thomas was lunging for the ball and copped a kick to the head from a Sydney player whilst airborne. He was not sliding and gets penalised. This rule is at odds with the principle of protecting the head and the man going for the ball. I guess the NAB challenge is practice for the umpires too.