Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59963 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #255
Plowman isn't big enough to play KP at senior level.

Agree... and I think we could use him better given we need another bigger body to help Cripps around the middle.
If Plowman was to play back it would be more as your running 3rd tall defender...the footage I saw of him carrying the ball through the midfield and playing on the ball was impressive.
He is very mobile for his size and is a good kick of the ball...might allow us to play Gibbs forward more as well which will help create some goals which we badly need.

Reply #256
One thing I noticed on Friday was the use of low, daisy-cutter kicks when trying to hit a player in traffic and also when kicking backwards to an isolated player.  Several kicks fell short and a couple were grubbers.

It seemed to be a deliberate tactic and it struck me that it may have been done to keep the target's eyeline elbow the lights.  
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #257
Agree... and I think we could use him better given we need another bigger body to help Cripps around the middle.
If Plowman was to play back it would be more as your running 3rd tall defender...the footage I saw of him carrying the ball through the midfield and playing on the ball was impressive.
He is very mobile for his size and is a good kick of the ball...might allow us to play Gibbs forward more as well which will help create some goals which we badly need.

horses for courses? At 193cm, Plowman as tall as Riewoldt, 1cm less than Jamo......has he ever played inside F50?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #258
Plowman isn't big enough to play KP at senior level.

A tall defender, Lachie Plowman was selected by the GIANTS with pick three in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. With a terrific ability to win the contested ball in the air and at ground level, Plowman is a poised player with good decision-making skills. He made his AFL debut in Round 1, 2013 after being drafted from the Calder Cannons. - See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/lachlan-plowman#sthash.uz7IJZxq.dpuf

From his bio on the GWS site. Sounds promising to me and he's shown as 193cm.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #259
If Plowman can play tall like Josh Gibson it would enable us to drop Jamo which is a must at this stage. He's mentally not up to it. Craps his pants at every opportunity. That sort of stuff can spread like cancer. We really need to get him as far away from Weitering as possible.

Rowe is dodgey as well but Jamo has got to go.

Reply #260
horses for courses? At 193cm, Plowman as tall as Riewoldt, 1cm less than Jamo......has he ever played inside F50?

Some players play tall and you also get the reverse...Jack Darling is around 190cm but plays tall, Everiit for us is 194cm but doesnt like too much body contact and tends to play smaller looking
to beat up on shorter players in marking duels.
I'll be happy if Plowman can be a contributor anywhere given our needs....

Reply #262
If Plowman can play tall like Josh Gibson it would enable us to drop Jamo which is a must at this stage. He's mentally not up to it. Craps his pants at every opportunity. That sort of stuff can spread like cancer. We really need to get him as far away from Weitering as possible.

Rowe is dodgey as well but Jamo has got to go.

interesting one is Gibson, only 189cm (Walker of Judd) yet often kinda plays KPP (or at least 2nd man up).....

Thought Jamo was pretty ordinary last year, needs to find another cog to be remotely useful....hard to argue with your sentiment here Jeza.

All this ra ra about how good Buddy was (only only seen highlights thus far) but his first 2 goals were when he didn't have a man within 25m of him?! Where was Jamo?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #263
Jamo could be fine. If he would just stop playing scared. He shuts down mentally into the most negative player he can be.

Just go for your marks Jamo. Don't look to run the ball out of bounds when you've got a team mate free 2m away in the clear. Punch when clear for a mark. He's  beat by his opponent before he takes the field.

Reply #264
Jamo could be fine. If he would just stop playing scared. He shuts down mentally into the most negative player he can be.

Just go for your marks Jamo. Don't look to run the ball out of bounds when you've got a team mate free 2m away in the clear. Punch when clear for a mark. He's  beat by his opponent before he takes the field.

I suspect Jamison's dodgy shoulders are part of the reason for the way he's been playing; tentative when going for a mark or spoil.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #265
As I previously posted, Jammo may be still trying to get used to the new defensive set up? That's why he looks a bit confused at times, and that's presumably why we got caught out a few times, especially by Buddy. We were pressing forward a lot as part of BB's plan. OK until we turn it over in our forward half and the ball is rocketed back over the top of our out of position defence. However, it seems BB wants to ingrain that style of play rather than compromise because of skills defficiencies. We will be focused on that and get the necessary skills or the skilled players as part of our development.

Reply #266
As I previously posted, Jammo may be still trying to get used to the new defensive set up? That's why he looks a bit confused at times, and that's presumably why we got caught out a few times, especially by Buddy. We were pressing forward a lot as part of BB's plan. OK until we turn it over in our forward half and the ball is rocketed back over the top of our out of position defence. However, it seems BB wants to ingrain that style of play rather than compromise because of skills defficiencies. We will be focused on that and get the necessary skills or the skilled players as part of our development.

The reason we got caught out with buddy is because we turned the ball over when we shouldn't have.
Can't blame Jamo for that as he is doing as required and pushing forward. Unfortunate that we are not as skilled as the hawks and that gameplan might not work as well for us.

Reply #267
We all see things a bit differently but I though Jamo was exposed trying to cover Rowe who lost his opponent far too frequently and that Rowe was the reason Jamo looked bad.

Fair play to Rowe who hits each contest like it's his last but he either wins it or loses it, and not much in between.

Jamison has no confidence in his shoulders.   None.  Saw him go to spoil and it looked like he did all he could to keep his arm locked in place and prevent pain before it came.

Both of them look to be on their last legs. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #268
The reason we got caught out with buddy is because we turned the ball over when we shouldn't have.
Can't blame Jamo for that as he is doing as required and pushing forward. Unfortunate that we are not as skilled as the hawks and that gameplan might not work as well for us.

Yep, I think I said that but that's what I meant if it wasn't stated clearly. Agree re. Jamo too, not really his fault there.

Reply #269
Unfortunate that we are not as skilled as the hawks and that gameplan might not work as well for us.

It took the players at Hawthorn the best part of 10 years to get the skills you see today - that's with selecting players who tended to be more skillful to begin with. It didn't take 10 years to start seeing the benefits but it was ugly, ugly stuff for the first 3 years. We need to invest this time as well rather than just saying it won't work right away.