Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18112 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
You can have all the plans in the world, but you can't execute the plan on the players' behalf. You can be quite certain the coaching group understood the ruck disparity and understood what Gawn can do, and I have no doubt that they planned for a few things, including rucking to his tap outs. But if the players don't get it, refuse to do it, or simply can't do it, there's little a coach can do IMO.
Gawn was no longer on top after the first quarter. Whatever was whispered in Pittonet's ear at quarter time worked and they were even at worst, and Pittonet on top for the rest of the match. The coaching wasnt the issue last night, not the game day coaching at least.

Reply #121
Loved the previous two posts from Pauly and Blue Moon. Good to see strong conversation about our players in terms of above the shoulders.

If you look over recent years there is an ingrained habit of performing poorly in one qtr... which has cost us so many games (and BB his career). For years the Tiggers had something similar. So it can be turned around... question is when and how long can we wait. Every game where we 'drop a qtr' compounds the problem.

Yes, everything about this game is about "above the shoulders". We show enough at other parts of games to show we can play. It's about attitude.

Reply #122
It is interesting to talk with supporters from other clubs, who are all focusing on what we DID produce (last 2 and a half quarters) rather than what we didn't produce in the first quarter and a half.  I know that they don't have to endure  the 'almost there' every week, but plenty can see lots of silver lining in amongst the dark clouds.  It was also pointed out that Petracca is now just starting to impose himself on games and he was No2 in the 2014 draft, is now 24.  Our class of 2015, Weitering (22 yo 77 games) , C Curnow (23 58) , ( Harry (22, 35) Cunningham (23, 26)  and Silvagni (22  61)  are all 12 months behind him.  Consistent game time is required, but at times it comes at a price.  We need to see some signs.  

Reply #123
Gawn was no longer on top after the first quarter. Whatever was whispered in Pittonet's ear at quarter time worked and they were even at worst, and Pittonet on top for the rest of the match. The coaching wasnt the issue last night, not the game day coaching at least.
Oliver had Cripps covered and the coaching panel dont know what to do when Cripps is manned up tight and its always the move to Full Forward which never works because Cripps isnt in the middle so the ball never gets to him and if it does he cant kick straight anyway...same old same old every game.
The coaching panel need to up their game IMO....

Reply #124
Oliver had Cripps covered and the coaching panel dont know what to do when Cripps is manned up tight and its always the move to Full Forward which never works because Cripps isnt in the middle so the ball never gets to him and if it does he cant kick straight anyway...same old same old every game.
The coaching panel need to up their game IMO....
Don't think landing on his head at one stage did Cripps much good.

Reply #125
Interesting points made by Pauly and Blue Moon.  I agree that "above the shoulders" plays a very important part in a team's culture. 

However, surely that is affected directly by the ability  - or lack of -of the players.  How many times in recent years have we seen forward thrusts fail because of the inability of players to kick properly, or failing to kick  to the forwards advantage or to
make the right choice, only to have the ball turned over and our backline hammered once again.

During the Covid break I watched all of the 1995 Carlton games, and the contrast with today's team stood out like the proverbial.  No wonder our players stood tall.  They had a belief in themselves to win because they had  the mental attitude brought about by their skills.

The players were able to control a game because they could retain possession of the ball and use it to best advantage.

I suppose it's the chicken or the egg question, but I believe without skills so many opportunities are squandered, games are lost with monotonous regularity, and it's not possible to develop that essential positive mental attitude.

Reply #126
Interesting points made by Pauly and Blue Moon.  I agree that "above the shoulders" plays a very important part in a team's culture. 

However, surely that is affected directly by the ability  - or lack of -of the players.  How many times in recent years have we seen forward thrusts fail because of the inability of players to kick properly, or failing to kick  to the forwards advantage or to
make the right choice, only to have the ball turned over and our backline hammered once again.

During the Covid break I watched all of the 1995 Carlton games, and the contrast with today's team stood out like the proverbial.  No wonder our players stood tall.  They had a belief in themselves to win because they had the mental attitude brought about by their skills.

The players were able to control a game because they could retain possession of the ball and use it to best advantage.

I suppose it's the chicken or the egg question, but I believe without skills so many opportunities are squandered, games are lost with monotonous regularity, and it's not possible to develop that essential positive mental attitude.

It might not help much, but I've heard a few players say that when they do match simulation and skills work at training, they never miss a target. Clearly that's not much good when you're playing for 4 points, but if it's true (I'm sure it is), then the skills are there, but clearly there's a subtle shift in mindset that occurs on match day, because when it comes to the game, things don't go smoothly.

It's a notoriously tricky thing this mindset / transformative experience business. If you get it right, a whole world of possibility and potential open up before you. If you get it wrong, say for example like the Crows recent off season camp (undoubtedly an attempt to transform the players). it will be an unmitigated disaster.

Reply #127

During the Covid break I watched all of the 1995 Carlton games, and the contrast with today's team stood out like the proverbial.  No wonder our players stood tall.  They had a belief in themselves to win because they had  the mental attitude brought about by their skills.

One leads to the other. I find skills are often due to player focus too. A properly switched on side hits alot more targets. You could say we often like at skills, like every other sides, when it comes to drafting, unless there's something else above that that attracts. They seem to become bad kicks when they get to Carlton.

Reply #128

Fair points, Macca, and true to say that it may well be a chicken or egg situation. But I reckon when you're confident (attitude) and almost expect to win every week (attitude) that your skills fall into line, and get better, which also, then, feeds confidence... but it all starts with your mental attitude.

How many blokes have killed it on the track and in the twos but come game day on the big stage, are just not up to it. Conversely, how many blokes have you known to play our game with limited ability but phenomenal attitude/heart and go on to play 200+ quality games?

We've got the skills. We've got the talent (bar another quality mid or three), but lose ticker/concentration for a qtr a game. And now it's become an ingrained habit to break and you can only do that with attitude, an attitude of mongrel persistence and desperation and focus and ruthlessness... an attitude of 'only winning will satisfy us'... no matter the cost. No lapses.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #129
It might not help much, but I've heard a few players say that when they do match simulation and skills work at training, they never miss a target. Clearly that's not much good when you're playing for 4 points, but if it's true (I'm sure it is), then the skills are there, but clearly there's a subtle shift in mindset that occurs on match day, because when it comes to the game, things don't go smoothly.

I think some of us (those that don't see it regularly) would be quite surprised at the actual skills these players show at training.
I've no doubt the skills are there
It's probably not so much a different mindset as a different level of pressure that players experience under match conditions.
Under pressure the skills fall apart, disposals are rushed and erratic.
When we are able to apply our own level of high pressure suddenly those skills wont look so bad....but that will require players going hard and supporting one another for 4 quarters...not just two and a half.

Reply #130
I think some of us (those that don't see it regularly) would be quite surprised at the actual skills these players show at training.
I've no doubt the skills are there
It's probably not so much a different mindset as a different level of pressure that players experience under match conditions.
Under pressure the skills fall apart, disposals are rushed and erratic.
When we are able to apply our own level of high pressure suddenly those skills wont look so bad....but that will require players going hard and supporting one another for 4 quarters...not just two and a half.

Lods to me you are describing the difference between confident, battle-hardened professionals and probably well trained players but whose past lack of positive reinforcements has left them tentative, lacking in confidence and without poise.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #131
Lods to me you are describing the difference between confident, battle-hardened professionals and probably well trained players but whose past lack of positive reinforcements has left them tentative, lacking in confidence and without poise.

That comes with long periods of playing together and gaining an understanding of our team-mates strengths and weaknesses
I think one of the major problems of the rebuild process we've undertaken is that with the constant list changes we haven't had a settled side for the last five or so years.
Again this year our team is not yet settled with the introduction of new players and injuries.
Until we get a core group playing together consistently I don't have high expectations.
What I do want to see towards the end of the season is a more settled side.

Reply #132
That comes with long periods of playing together and gaining an understanding of our team-mates strengths and weaknesses
I think one of the major problems of the rebuild process we've undertaken is that with the constant list changes we haven't had a settled side for the last five or so years.
Again this year our team is not yet settled with the introduction of new players and injuries.
Until we get a core group playing together consistently I don't have high expectations.
What I do want to see towards the end of the season is a more settled side.

Don't forget lockdowns, an interrupted season etc.

Reply #133
Of course it's above the shoulders, it doesnt mean it should be accepted, nor does it give the players and the coaches an out.  Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance, they were 31 pts down at qtr time v Richmond in rnd 1, they were 32 pts down at  qtr time   v Melb in rnd 2. They had 86 days to prepare and prevent want occured in round one and failed, coaches and players failed to prepare prepare properly. In the presser, the coach said he addressed the midfielders at qtr time and they responded, great. But WTF? Why wait? If it was me, given the track record of poor starts occurring over and over again, I would have been ready and would have walked down to the boundary line after the 3 unanswered goal and spoken to midfielders then. It's a poor performance from the entire coaching box IMO. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity is it not?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134
Think we are looking for excuses when the simple truth is we dont have enough players with the mindset , physicality or talent base to win games. Looking good on the track is a bit like saying the troops look good on parade but in battle cant perform.
Too many nice kids, too easy to hide behind the rebuild banner and too much reliance on too few class players who want to fight to win and are prepared to lay the body on the line each week.
We are excited over a Hawthorn reserves player(Pittonet) because he has a go, probably tells you something about most of the list, so starved of players with fight we drool over any sight of competitiveness...sad times indeed.