Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong? (Read 6796 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 17 Carlton vs Geelong?

Reply #45

If he is on 1 leg, and that stops him from using his weapons, speed, agility, kicking......then why are we playing him?

It’s the usual presumption, Martin will attract a certain level of opposition attention, regardless of how many legs he’s got, same theory is keeping Cripps out there.
They’ll still do some good team stuff and take an opponent (or two) leaving 2nd tier players with lesser opponents.
I don’t think we have seen our 2nd tier guys stand up enough, generally…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
I presume Williams will be straight back in.

I'm not so negative about this guy, I get that some people see the dollars and think he should be a messiah, but that is in my opinion an unrealistic perspective. He arrived at the club, surrounded by new team-mates and had some immediate influence, that is about all you can ask for in year one.

The point here is perhaps not that Williams is paid too much, or isn't performing to the level required by his remuneration, but that perhaps someone like Judd wasn't paid anywhere near enough! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
The point here is perhaps not that Williams is paid too much, or isn't performing to the level required by his remuneration, but that perhaps someone like Judd wasn't paid anywhere near enough! :o

Nah I think we have overpaid for Williams.   Not that it's his fault.    He put himself in the market and the market (us) paid him well.   I think if anything is to be learnt from this it's that, sure you can get 800k but there has to be some incentives in that contract.

800k is an elite player.   Not what you play a player you are hoping is elite.

Hope we don't make the same mistake with someone like Cerra who is asking elite money and Fremantle will ask for elite player compensation.    He well may well become that player, but he isn't that player yet.

Reply #48
Nah I think we have overpaid for Williams.   Not that it's his fault.    He put himself in the market and the market (us) paid him well.   I think if anything is to be learnt from this it's that, sure you can get 800k but there has to be some incentives in that contract.

Hope we don't make the same mistake with someone like Cerra who is asking elite money and Fremantle will ask for elite player compensation.    He well may well become that player, but he isn't that player yet.

Good post..its not the players fault, we over paid for a half back flanker/unproven mid who was a known quantity in terms of fitness. Everyone knew his endurance game needed work and he missed a season with achillies issues...so how was he ever going to handle game after game of full on midfield running.
Doesnt appear he was fit from day 1 and its rumoured his achillies is still a major problem and like I suggested on another thread that Russell is expected to work miracles on a bloke who came with problems.
Its a recruiting fail not a fitness fail IMHO...

Reply #49

Business 101: Don't pay for potential
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50

....if 800k is actually the figure.

....and if whatever figure it actually is, hasn't already been heavily incentivised.

Everytime I read figures like that I think that's max amount. Take out bonuses for AA, top 3 (5 or 10) in the b+f, finals bonuses etc etc etc and he may only get 500k.

Reply #51
Not to mention we seem to have a front loading or rear loading magic number of between 750 to 900k.

That gets extended out to each year of contract in all circumstances but I can't see how we got Williams if this were the case with mcgovern, Martin and now Williams.  Saad apparently is on 700k a season too.  Can't be right.  10 million wouldn't cover most of our contracts if it were the case.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
The media always quote exaggerated and extreme figures, some people just want it to be true!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
....if 800k is actually the figure.

....and if whatever figure it actually is, hasn't already been heavily incentivised.

Everytime I read figures like that I think that's max amount. Take out bonuses for AA, top 3 (5 or 10) in the b+f, finals bonuses etc etc etc and he may only get 500k.

Yeah it's hard to know for sure.    The figured mentioned might be up to to 800k, and then via Chinese whisperers in the media you get he is on 800k.    

However, it's been reported up to 900k via the Herald Sun.  

I feel 800k is not far from the mark.

Reply #54
As I understand it, just like McGovern and Martin, Williams is front loaded and the media are happy to quote the front loaded figure, and what is more they quote the extreme high estimate of the front loaded figure.

Some of this of course comes from player agents who want to pump up their client and tout their wares, but that is bullcrap inflated figures as well.

So I suspect neither player is on anywhere near that on a per-annum basis.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
As I understand it, just like McGovern and Martin, Williams is front loaded and the media are happy to quote the front loaded figure, and what is more they quote the extreme high estimate of the front loaded figure.

Some of this of course comes from player agents who want to pump up their client and tout their wares, but that is bullcrap inflated figures as well.

So I suspect neither player is on anywhere near that on a per-annum basis.
As detailed on Foxfooty.com.au in late October, the former Giant's deal is worth an average of $800,000 across six years, with incentives that could bring it up to $900,000 a season.3 Nov 2020....
Even forgetting the money you only give six year deals to superstars.....

Some 2020 Figures with CoVid cuts....
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/afl-rich-100-who-are-the-afls-highestearning-stars-see-the-players-ranked-51100/news-story/d6052138cb2be56ce41f2059386ef132

Reply #56
Joel Selwood is being rested this week Hope that means they are taking us a kittle lightly.

Reply #57
As an aside....who played on Michael Walters last week....was it Stocker or Saad or a bit of both? I wasn't taking notice but after the game realised Walters had only had about 10 touches and one goal.....he's having an ordinary year but not too many more dangerous players around than him. Whoever did that role should've got a mention.

Reply #58
We only lost an "on" this week....lol.

IN: Williams
OUT: Williamson

Reply #59
Joel Selwood is being rested this week Hope that means they are taking us a kittle lightly.
Very Cheeky and arrogant resting players, hope we knock them over.....Williamson very unlucky unless Cripps pulls out at the last minute.