Skip to main content
Topic: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party) (Read 62006 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R6 - Blues vs Eagles (post match party)

Reply #135
We have had more time to closely scrutinise the players, that's the big difference. We are expecting improvement over a handful of years yet our players keep making the same mistakes and have plateaued in their development.

Agreed, although I was very happy with the win last nights game was a litany of errors by both sides.

In the end West Coast should have won by four or five goals but couldn't find the victory hole despite our attempts to highlight the way with neon signs, hooters, a guided tour, training videos and instruction manual!  ;D

Our skills were still generally tripe, our thought process ordinary, and many posters here are clinging to one good act out of every ten as some sort of season turning revelation.

The only thing that has improved in the last three weeks is the work ethic and that cannot be sustained if the other things don't improve!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
I think Menzel is on his way to becoming my favourite player. Watching him live you can just tell he is a class above and would easily get a game for the Hawks or Cats.
He is very good isn't he, all class....glad he fell to us at 12 or 13...hope his knees hold up (touch wood) ;)

Reply #137
Jack Darling's stomach must be feeling a little tender this morning.

;D Great call......found it amusing that he was close to their most ineffective yesterday. Egg on face much Jack? Be careful who you disrespect....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #138
He is very good isn't he, all class....glad he fell to us at 12 or 13...hope his knees hold up (touch wood) ;)

I hate hearing the coaches say they want him to beef up, they haven't learned from the mistakes they made with SpecialK!

If they add three or four kilos to Menzel's upper body the load on his knees goes up by 40~60kgs when landing from a marking contest on a Etihad type hard surface! Like landing with Eddie Betts on your back! Not smart for a kid with knee problems!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
...if you're not in the hunt for top 4 then it's a development year.

Adelaide Crows got 2 flags when they were 'not in the hunt'.

We can do all the things we need to do, blood the kids etc and still chase a finals berth. Don't throw the towel in too easily, it leads to mediocrity and something we went through under Pagan.

Reply #140
The players are starting to embrace the gameplan and know what to expect out of eachother now. They have lifted their intensity and are doing the team things that are required.

Hopefully they continue to do so.

But I thought we'd already embraced the gameplan last year?

Just watching Brendan Mccartney's interview from last week, he clearly thought we opened the game right up and caught his team off guard. The gameplan may be similar but it's definitely been tweaked. Mick has given some leeway to the players and they have responded. Well done.

The gameplan has changed (or been tweaked) at least twice since Malthouse has arrived and he's said as much. After 3 rounds last year was the first tweak.

As for McCartneys assessment, didn't see it myself, but there have been many on here, including myself, that have gone into detail on how changing putting in some extra effort can have drastically different results. Confidence and intent and a bit of luck has seen us go from 'the worst team in a decade' to 'a team on the rise'.

Simply put, players are running harder now and gaining the benefits from that, including an increase in confidence.

Reply #141
The Meltdown on the WCE BF forum is humorous.

Reply #142
Simply put, players are running harder now and gaining the benefits from that, including an increase in confidence.

Yep but IMO that can be attributed to being given more freedom.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #143
Yep but IMO that can be attributed to being given more freedom.
I think that is the case as well, the lock down style wasn't working so the balance has shifted, clearly that is the case.

Look how well we played the lock down style in the last few minutes yesterday, it nearly cost us the match!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
The lockdown/ultra defensive game plan is a myth.

We're the number 1 play on side this year. Number 1.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #145
The lockdown/ultra defensive game plan is a myth.

We're the number 1 play on side this year. Number 1.

We have to play on, we cannot hit targets to get enough marks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148
Number 1 play on side in the comp, it's not opinion.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #149
Number 1 play on side in the comp, it's not opinion.

Goes hand in hand, poor foot skills equals play on, not rocket science!

It's cause and effect Neo!
The Force Awakens!