Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday) (Read 22372 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Round 2 - Blues v Pies (11 March, Monday holiday)

Reply #120
I was very happy with the way we played, we're a few years behind Collingwood and it showed today but our application was first rate.
Dow Walsh and Setterfield all look like very good players but they came up against some class and experience today, Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom and Beams are hardened and classy and our kids struggled a bit, in a couple of years it will be a different story.
We're right on track as far as I'm concerned.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #121
No disrespect cookie but I’m so sick and tired of hearing this. It must take a lot more then this to hold your place in any AFL team.

Polson cannot hold his spot IMO until he learns how to hit a barn door with no pressure. He kills us every time
He goes near it as he 9/10 butchers it.

Yep he runs fast and chases well and even lays a few nice tackles most games. So what !!  If we want to accept being a bottom team then we could argue his stats are worthy of another game. Jack needs to show more imo yet is still streets ahead of polson. At least jack has some smarts and can execute when going inside 50. Polson has neither of those attributes.

Cant have those sorts of player not up to it against a top team like tigers. If the MC is serious about giving us a chance the a half fit Fasolo is a big upgrade on Polson.

No problem Shawny but I think that's what is getting him games atm - he's doing stuff that the coaches want. I know we need better. The Faz would be a different proposition in that he's more of a marking, goalkicking type rather than a defensive type forward. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Today we struggled a bit to move the ball forward for a lot of the time so it is very important I guess to keep it there when we do achieve that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #122
Only saw the second half and for mine;
Negatives:
Charlie is playing badly and has to stop trying the low percentage superstar stuff. Stop reading the press and do the team thing.
Our gameplan appears to be, bomb the ball long into the forward line and see what pans out.
Garlett, Polson, Thomas and McGovern.
Our backline is struggling with quick entries and on kick ins.
Room for improvement:
Setterfield. Kicking for goal.
Positives:
Midfield. Kept at it until the end. They seem to be manning up a lot better when defending.
Think we have heaps to improve on.
Really happy with how Weitering is playing.

Reply #123
No problem Shawny but I think that's what is getting him games atm - he's doing stuff that the coaches want. I know we need better. The Faz would be a different proposition in that he's more of a marking, goalkicking type rather than a defensive type forward. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Today we struggled a bit to move the ball forward for a lot of the time so it is very important I guess to keep it there when we do achieve that.

Agree Cookie the defensive element is important just reckon any league player must have other strings to his bow other then just defensive pressure.

Anyhow I think the 3 tall forwards will take time to gel and understand each other so having a genuine mid sized goalkicker like fasolo changes the look and even without full fitness he will give the tigers something else to plan for and either way make us less predictable going inside 50 which can only help the 3 talls get some separation. Please

Still want to see it in the real thing but really liked watching both SPS, Cunningham and Weitering in the JLT - all 3 look primed to step up to another level this year.

Reply #124
massive amounts of negativity....f'n insane.

It's a scratch match....we're trailing by 3 points.

What a bunch of Richmond supporters...(pre recent success).

I tend to agree FB.  We finished last, our team is full of kids and we’re playing seasoned finalists.  :-\

I wonder how many “supporters” will retract their comments about Simmo?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
Simpson was crap today, why would anyone retract?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #126

I guess folk see what they want to see but, if Simpson’s game was crap, I’ll settle for more crap for the rest of the season.

I thought that he started slowly but worked his way into the game and was probably second only to Cripps in our best players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #127
No disrespect cookie but I’m so sick and tired of hearing this. It must take a lot more then this to hold your place in any AFL team.

Polson cannot hold his spot IMO until he learns how to hit a barn door with no pressure. He kills us every time
He goes near it as he 9/10 butchers it.

Yep he runs fast and chases well and even lays a few nice tackles most games. So what !!  If we want to accept being a bottom team then we could argue his stats are worthy of another game. Jack needs to show more imo yet is still streets ahead of polson. At least jack has some smarts and can execute when going inside 50. Polson has neither of those attributes.

Cant have those sorts of player not up to it against a top team like tigers. If the MC is serious about giving us a chance the a half fit Fasolo is a big upgrade on Polson.

How many times did Polson turn it over today?
I don't recall seeing it that much.
That contest, pickup and run in the last quarter was at least a reminder of why the coaches like him. Against Hawthorn he was putrid.

Reply #128
Why would I want to see Simpson turn the ball over?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #129
I'm worried about Charlie Curnow's maturity. 

22 yo, 47 games is the main attraction in a forward line that has changed structure and personnel every year for the past 3 year.....

I think we mark harshly sometimes!! 

Reply #130
22 yo, 47 games is the main attraction in a forward line that has changed structure and personnel every year for the past 3 year.....

I think we mark harshly sometimes!!

Never!

Reply #131

I thought he was pretty good. He and Samo were probably our best.

That was by far the worst game I've seen Dow play. He looked fatigued and fumbly from the start.

And Charlie got absolutely destroyed.

Everyone was below their best and yet we smashed them in clearances and beat them for inside 50s and contested possessions and should have won.

Gotta be a good sign for when we do put it together.

Reply #132
Big name recruit McGovern struggled today.
Next big thing Curnowfides struggled today.
First team starters Kreuzer and Marchbank didn't play today.

We lost by 5 points to a team who won as many finals games as we did regular games last year.
...and we didn't play anywhere near our best either.

I'll take that.

Reply #133
Big name recruit McGovern struggled today.
Next big thing Curnowfides struggled today.
First team starters Kreuzer and Marchbank didn't play today.

We lost by 5 points to a team who won as many finals games as we did regular games last year.
...and we didn't play anywhere near our best either.

I'll take that.

Early in the last quarter I checked the stats on the AFL app and Collingwood had the top 10 ranked players on the ground and 17 of the top 19.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #134
Carlton website:

Best:

Jones, Cripps, Simpson, Petrevski-Seton, McKay, Murphy

Now there’s a discussion point!!!