Skip to main content
Topic: Round 15 - Blues Vs Pies. Pre - Game Thread (Read 46687 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 15 - Blues Vs Pies. Pre - Game Thread

Reply #120
From memory drafting commentators had big wraps on his kicking and marking

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/champion-data-picks-the-top-30-draft-prospects-of-2013/story-fnelctok-1226759925435
29. BLAINE JOHNSON
Was WA's second-leading goalkicker at the carnival. In-between size makes for a tough match-up on lead or overhead.
WE SAY: Booming right foot is a weapon outside 50. Later pick.
Wish pace was one of those weapons, but you can't have everything.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #121
Brock is still getting a game. And Tuohy. We're tanking.
While I understand the calls for Broke to be dropped, it would be hard to justify them. Broke has been one of our more effective mids, even if he couldn't chase down a sloth with a broken leg. Yes, clubs have been more aware of him and more willing to deal with him seriously, as we have had few mids (usually only Murphy) worth serious tagging.
Graham and Cripps are the future, and they may (just) be  able to run down guys a bit better, but neither of them has been able to equal Broke's output yet.
I don't know what the future holds for a our midfield, but we need to introduce real pace and X factor into it. I can't see Cripps doing that next year, nor Graham nor Broke.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #122
From memory drafting commentators had big wraps on his kicking and marking

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/champion-data-picks-the-top-30-draft-prospects-of-2013/story-fnelctok-1226759925435
29. BLAINE JOHNSON
Was WA's second-leading goalkicker at the carnival. In-between size makes for a tough match-up on lead or overhead.
WE SAY: Booming right foot is a weapon outside 50. Later pick.
Wish pace was one of those weapons, but you can't have everything.

Other than Cripps -Johnson Reynolds and Giles are the three I most want to see show something this year. Giles is out injured, not sure what's happening with Reynolds, glad that Johnson has his chance.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #123
Pies by 6 goals

A sad legacy left by our current administration

Reply #126
Pies by 6 goals

If Waite plays we'll win.

Malthouse would play him at Etihad but not at the MCG on a cold, wet Sunday night. Makes sense.

I don't think that's right.

Waite has his weaknesses but playing contested footy in the wet isn't one of them.

What's the real reason Mick?

Probably tanking but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's a late inclusion.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #127
I like that the club, on paper, said that Waite was 'omitted'... he should be ashamed. Despite his wonderful talent he has let our club down and his team mates down on too many occasions to be trusted. Trust only results from sustained reliability to perform. (And if I see him plead for a free again I'll scream... focus on playing, Cocko, ingnore the umps). Maybe Waite is a strong contributor to our inconsistent intensity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #128
I like that the club, on paper, said that Waite was 'omitted'... he should be ashamed. Despite his wonderful talent he has let our club down and his team mates down on too many occasions to be trusted. Trust only results from sustained reliability to perform. (And if I see him plead for a free again I'll scream... focus on playing, Cocko, ingnore the umps). Maybe Waite is a strong contributor to our inconsistent intensity.

Don't agree Baggers  :(

Waite was the only one of our tall forwards who contributed last week.  Dropping him sends the wrong message to those players who are out of form or who didn't put in last week.  Yes, Waite has let the club down in the past but this is probably his most consistent and injury free season - and he is 5th for contested marks this season (he and Casboult are the only Carlton players in the top 80).

If there had to be a change, Henderson should have been the one running around with the Northern Blues.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129

Don't agree Baggers  :(

Waite was the only one of our tall forwards who contributed last week.  Dropping him sends the wrong message to those players who are out of form or who didn't put in last week.  Yes, Waite has let the club down in the past but this is probably his most consistent and injury free season - and he is 5th for contested marks this season (he and Casboult are the only Carlton players in the top 80).

If there had to be a change, Henderson should have been the one running around with the Northern Blues.

Good and important points. But I suspect that his demotion is due to more subtle leadership issues and general inconsistency.

Yes, yes, yes... Hendo has (also) failed to deliver in many respects in season 2014. And what does that say about our situation...? Do we in fact have a psychologically dominent/strong tall? Nuh. Our 'bigs' are so very 'little' between the ears; they cannot deliver week in, week out. Set as a template our 'bigs' against J. Brown.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #130
Yes, yes, yes... Hendo has (also) failed to deliver in many respects in season 2014. And what does that say about our situation...? Do we in fact have a psychologically dominent/strong tall? Nuh. Our 'bigs' are so very 'little' between the ears; they cannot deliver week in, week out. Set as a template our 'bigs' against J. Brown.

We don't have a J Brown, or anyone remotely approaching J Brown.
We played three tall forwards last week and two of them didn't fire a shot, so we dropped the one who did.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #131
I guess one positive to come out of all our losses and boring brand of football is that there's now plenty of space on my IQ! :D
Hallelujah!!! I have like 52% on my IQHD which is unheard of this far into the season, missus reckons im unwell.

Reply #132

We don't have a J Brown, or anyone remotely approaching J Brown.
We played three tall forwards last week and two of them didn't fire a shot, so we dropped the one who did.

You endorse the bloke who is making these decisions B4L.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #133
You endorse the bloke who is making these decisions B4L.

Just my two bob's worth PI2C, unless there's more to it and off field issues have come into play I think that the decision to drop Waite defies logic.
I don't support Malthouse unequivocally, but as you know I thought that Ratten's appointment was badly flawed from the start and nothing that happened in the next five years caused me to reconsider.
Time will tell whether Malthouse can take us forward and lay a solid foundation for the future, I'm prepared to reserve my judgement on that until the end of next season at least, but I think that appointing a proven and experienced coach was the right way to go.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #134
Well, against my better judgement and despite the wintry weather I will be there tonight hoping for a miracle! Let's hope we can just put 'em off balance and pinch this one - it would be very sweet!

On the subject of MM, I feel that the main hope now is that he indeed does build good all round foundations both on and off the field for us to move forward and be more successful in the future. I would be surprised, at this stage at least, if he got another gig with us but I think he will definitely serve out his current contract.

Of course, a lot could happen, both good or bad,  between now and the end of next season so it's very much a waiting game IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.