Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)  (Read 26848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)

Reply #45
Something else that really peeved me was our constant short passing inside 50 to the small forward in the pocket. Rarely do they take the mark and even if they do they're around a 25% chance to score a goal. We need to go long to the square a lot more.

yep, it really was a very dumb 'strategy'.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
Nice win, shocking kicking and too many passengers yet again.

Rowe - I wonder if he didn't have to deal with cancer last season if he'd still be getting this soft excuse for being an ordinary player. He was bigger, older and stronger than his opponents and was spoiled or put off most of the time. Rowe is slow, and not aggressive at the contest, I've never seen him chase down an opponent like Casboult has. Many say Levi is a shocking kick for goal but at least he gets shots on goal, he will split a pack open when going for a mark and when one on one I'd back him in to mark 75% of the contests in the air. Rowe is a back up nothing more, Levi is young and has some AFL skills, play him now.

Carrazzo - You can look on paper or you can watch the game, stats don't say how often he fumbled of was beaten at the contest by younger, weaker opponents. There was a time last season when you saw him go into a contest and had confidence that if he didn't win it then it out be a ball up. Now Carrazzo circa 2013 is back to his worst slow with his decision making and often beaten at the contest and it didn't stand out any more than this game against inferior players that he should have schooled he looked slow and second rate.

Murphy - A paper cut out of what he was two years ago, always looking for the easy possession and no whee near as damaging by foot. Did making him the captain and winning the MVP put MM ahead of where he really is?

Kreuzer - Man love starting to build again. Was dominant around the ground in the ruck with little help just wish he'd get in the play more around the ground and lift his stats to around 15-20 possies per game and 8-10 marks. That's the next step.

Gibbs - did he play? I know he did but was just cruising around not effecting the game at all.

The smalls - all did well in patches, all went missing in patches.

Curnow - I have been a big fan all season and couldn't understand why people were asking for his head. Fantastic job on Ablett. One image sticks out to me, he helped in a play which allowed Ablett to get 5-8 meters in front, rather than give up the chase Ed put his head down and took off, which put doubt into Halls mind if he should handball to Ablett and instead he kicked the goal, but I'd rather have Hall kicking for goal than Ablett.

Cachia - Man love here again. The only player I saw lay multiple blocks to get other mids free and I don't thinks it was a coincidence that when he came on we started to get better value from clearances.

Henderson - Man love again. I'm sure he's a forward get's to the right spots, when behind he uses his body rather than arms to get space. I can't wait to see Henderson, Waite and Casboult forward line. All three have different skills that would compliment the others.

Metricon Stadium - No games should be played there during the day ever again. It was terrible to watch and the lack of cameras were also evident. Sent the C grade commentary team and about half the number of cameras than we get elsewhere.

Reply #47
I enjoyed Robbo's attempted KO shoulder missile into Gazza's chest to take Gaz (and himself) out of the contest. Shook the little master up and got under his skin nicely!

Good win. Freo next at Etihad sat night... tough ask!

My man love for Robbo is no secret.
I know he can and does butcher the ball but until we get other players showing some physical intimidation/presence Robbo is a must every week.
Waite is the only other guy who seems happy to throw his weight around. Unfortunately he seems to do it in a dumb way and gets himself rubbed out too often. It seems unbelievable that I am labeling Waite "dumber" than Robbo but Robbo rarely gets rubbed out and Waite consistently does.  :o
It would be nice if we had some more controlled aggression in our team.  >:D
For the record, I am not calling our players soft, I just don't think they are aggressive enough to be intimidating.

Reply #48
@Dave
Agree, "intimidating" is not a word that springs to mind with our blokes, apart from maybe Robbo when he's fired up. I think there was some sort of conscious effort v. the Saints to change that but it sure don't come naturally.

Hopefully MM can inject more of this quality into the team, both with existing players and via the trade table.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
@Dave
Agree, "intimidating" is not a word that springs to mind with our blokes, apart from maybe Robbo when he's fired up. I think there was some sort of conscious effort v. the Saints to change that but it sure don't come naturally.

Hopefully MM can inject more of this quality into the team, both with existing players and via the trade table.
Carrots can be intimidating and aggressive, problem is he is horribly out of form.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50

Rowe - I wonder if he didn't have to deal with cancer last season if he'd still be getting this soft excuse for being an ordinary player. He was bigger, older and stronger than his opponents and was spoiled or put off most of the time. Rowe is slow, and not aggressive at the contest, I've never seen him chase down an opponent like Casboult has. Many say Levi is a shocking kick for goal but at least he gets shots on goal, he will split a pack open when going for a mark and when one on one I'd back him in to mark 75% of the contests in the air. Rowe is a back up nothing more, Levi is young and has some AFL skills, play him now.

Carrazzo - You can look on paper or you can watch the game, stats don't say how often he fumbled of was beaten at the contest by younger, weaker opponents. There was a time last season when you saw him go into a contest and had confidence that if he didn't win it then it out be a ball up. Now Carrazzo circa 2013 is back to his worst slow with his decision making and often beaten at the contest and it didn't stand out any more than this game against inferior players that he should have schooled he looked slow and second rate.

Murphy - A paper cut out of what he was two years ago, always looking for the easy possession and no whee near as damaging by foot. Did making him the captain and winning the MVP put MM ahead of where he really is?

Kreuzer - Man love starting to build again. Was dominant around the ground in the ruck with little help just wish he'd get in the play more around the ground and lift his stats to around 15-20 possies per game and 8-10 marks. That's the next step.

Gibbs - did he play? I know he did but was just cruising around not effecting the game at all.

Curnow - I have been a big fan all season and couldn't understand why people were asking for his head. Fantastic job on Ablett. One image sticks out to me, he helped in a play which allowed Ablett to get 5-8 meters in front, rather than give up the chase Ed put his head down and took off, which put doubt into Halls mind if he should handball to Ablett and instead he kicked the goal, but I'd rather have Hall kicking for goal than Ablett.

Cachia - Man love here again. The only player I saw lay multiple blocks to get other mids free and I don't thinks it was a coincidence that when he came on we started to get better value from clearances.

Henderson - Man love again. I'm sure he's a forward get's to the right spots, when behind he uses his body rather than arms to get space. I can't wait to see Henderson, Waite and Casboult forward line. All three have different skills that would compliment the others.

Metricon Stadium - No games should be played there during the day ever again. It was terrible to watch and the lack of cameras were also evident. Sent the C grade commentary team and about half the number of cameras than we get elsewhere.

Excellent summary ;D ;D

Reply #51
I've been one calling for Curnow's head and I'm pleased to be able to say I am ecstatic with his turn around to be able to play offensively in his defensive role as shown yesterday.

I still think he is a long way off elite status but a good project coming good to potentially replace Carrots in due course.

Must be said though that Carrots still does a lot for the team that goes unnoticed. Very under rated, still!

Cachia is going to be a very good footballer for us for many years...love him..

Hendo - magnificent and tough along with support from Rowe...

C'mon Brisbane today!

Reply #52
@ADS

I've been critical of Ed in the past, mainly b/c of his disposal. I too am rapidly becoming a fan! I've paid attention to him in the last 2-3 games and he is doing a great job of running with a man and his own efforts at getting the ball and disposing of it have definitely improved significantly.
Atm he's definitely a keeper.  ^-^

Reply #53

Excellent summary except for a small part in the Rowe sum up. I don't find cancer a soft excuse hence needs another year after this one to tell us more. Agree though he's not going to be a great player, hence just a one year extension, but hoping either he or Casboult can be handy in the mould of Leigh Brown when Waite comes back. Might help both either not having to be the key forward. That'd back Waite and Henderson up very nicely not to mention Kreuzer.

Reply #54
Excellent summary except for a small part in the Rowe sum up. I don't find cancer a soft excuse hence needs another year after this one to tell us more.

I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I think if it was Hampson in there dropping those sitters yesterday or Casboult the punters would have been all over them. What I was meaning is do people go soft on Sam because of his cancer last year, because I cannot see how he has played well since his inclusion, apart from against a sub standard St Kilda defence where he looked OK.

Casboult needs games top get better at the top level, not in one week out the next.

Reply #55
A few bagging Carrots I didn't think he was awful, I thought he was excellent when he went down back.
I think we all agree that Carrots is nowhere near his best: his decision making on the ball especially is not up to his normal standard. However, he was far from crappy. He managed 25 possessions at the same effectiveness of Murphy (who had 27). After half time he had a job which he did well enough.
I think he still needs a little confidence and more game time to find the form we all love. A couple of weeks back I suggested he might need a week or 2 with the Baby Blues. I think he is past that now - he is getting more ball. He needs a few things to go right, a couple of big wins, to get his confidence back.

Carrazzo cost us at least two goals. His disposal was woeful, only matched by his indecision. Worst game I've seen from him for a while - and he has stunk it up big time in 2013. Reckon he needs some time in the twos to get his confidence back.

Reply #56
I'm amazed to be saying this but I thought again Simmo was BOG.  That's 3 games in a row I've rated him as BOG.  He is playing some great footy. Clearly I think he's in career best form ATM. Kudos to him and Mickey for turning it around.

Reply #57
Rowe was very unconvincing today.
He has no second effort, and if not on his terms, sometimes even no first effort.
Can take a mark when he wants, but he is a bit too stand offish for mine.

Bottom line....

If Warnock's fit and available Rowe doesn't play.

Not for me...I'm still sticking with Rowe, we need a second ruckman but one who can take a mark and give us some options....Warnock is still a lampost who can only play ruck.
Rowe wasnt great today, didnt take enough marks or get involved enough but i think we have to get away from rotating our KP/rucks when they have a ordinary game or two.
You have to build confidence to build a structure and I think Rowe has to be educated and given a chance to settle.......if you did drop Rowe then I reckon it has to be Casboult who comes in...at least he can play more than one position. I dont see Warnock as an option unless Kruezer gets hurt.

re: Waite...happy to have him back in the team but he isnt a ruckman and you still need a backup for Kruezer wether it be Rowe or Casboult.

In the "post match" Mick was apparently pleased with the support Rowe provided so he may be given the opportunity to keep going.

Knowing mick, his positive comments of Rowe's support role probably means that mick noticed that he did stuff all in his primary job... Marking as a kpf and kicking goals.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #58
Not much love for Sam Rowe but like I said  we have three wins from three with him in the team and the Kruezer/Rowe combo has been better than other ones....

re: Carrazzo...sticking with him too, sure he stuffed up a few kicks and I was annoyed like others but he has the runs on the board and most of us including me were prepared to hang and bury Kade Simpson early in the year but he now one of our best each week.
Freo have some big mids and we need Carrots where the action is and I thought his game after half time wasnt too bad....

re: Waite.......when he comes back Henderson wont be as effective as Waite will draw more of the ball and probably wont convert as well...

Reply #59
Don't think MM likes too much unforced change so minimal changes IMO. Be interesting though to see what happens if Bootsma is OK, seems to like him.