Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 23430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #180
Dow's main improvement will be getting more of the ball, he was never a reliable kick at TAC level so I dont think that is likely to improve much at senior AFL level.
He got big numbers at TAC level....30 possies was an average game for him and was getting 40 possies a game at times, it was his work rate and non stop running that was the key to his game much like we see from Walsh and why the latter is so good and carried that TAC form across.

I'd leave Dow on a wing and let him run up and down and keep him out of the middle where you need real grunt and muscle. The kid is a running machine and being used
wrongly IMO.

Agreed, Dow's go is to be the man in the middle sweeper, he needs to get in between Cripps/Setterfield and whoever we have working outside the stoppage. Dow to receive then burst and dish off to whoever we have passing to break open the stoppage. We need him using those first 3 to 5 steps to buy the outside runners time and space to use the ball better. At the moment we have SPS and Fisher being the sweeper roles, and handing off to Dow and others, I think that is back to front because Dow was never a great ball user!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
Dow's main improvement will be getting more of the ball, he was never a reliable kick at TAC level so I dont think that is likely to improve much at senior AFL level.
He got big numbers at TAC level....30 possies was an average game for him and was getting 40 possies a game at times, it was his work rate and non stop running that was the key to his game much like we see from Walsh and why the latter is so good and carried that TAC form across.

I'd leave Dow on a wing and let him run up and down and keep him out of the middle where you need real grunt and muscle. The kid is a running machine and being used
wrongly IMO.

EB, Dow is too slow to be left on a wing - would get cut up on counter attack. the thing is if as you say his kicking is unlikely to improve at senior level 1) Why did we draft him at pick 3? and 2) Do we want a bloke getting it 30 times if 15 of those 30 are clangers or turnovers.

I would rather we kept Robbo and Bell if disposal could be excused.

IMO he should be in the 2s racking up possessions without the pressure of the seniors and only step back up once he has improved that part of his game.

He's as bad a kick for goal as I've seen! 

Reply #182
EB, Dow is too slow to be left on a wing

Really! ???

I think you can safely criticise Dow for several things, but being slow isn't one of them!

Do we have anyone faster? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #183
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #184
EB, Dow is too slow to be left on a wing - would get cut up on counter attack. the thing is if as you say his kicking is unlikely to improve at senior level 1) Why did we draft him at pick 3? and 2) Do we want a bloke getting it 30 times if 15 of those 30 are clangers or turnovers.

I would rather we kept Robbo and Bell if disposal could be excused.

IMO he should be in the 2s racking up possessions without the pressure of the seniors and only step back up once he has improved that part of his game.

Dow is a very good burst player Shawny and an ideal winger material IMO, he has a strong pair of legs that allow him to get up to speed real quick and it was his hallmark
at TAC cup level where he would grab the loose ball as it spilled from packs and motor away often kicking goals on the run, he missed a lot too but it wasnt lack of speed that caused him problems.
He isnt as developed in the upper body and playing him in the middle vs the likes of Ellis-Yoleman, Cunnington etc isnt his go and we need to get a bigger bodied player in the middle to help Cripps
rather than sacrificing Dow, Fisher, SPS who just dont have the size and never will to compete.
Its not Dow's fault that we dont have the right balance on the list to provide him with the support he needs so for now he needs a position where we can use his talents better...

Reply #185
It's an indictment on how poor Kennedy and Lang have been, albeit missing games with injuries too. They were recruited for that bigger bodied midfield role and have done absolutely SFA and will be lucky to survive the cull at year-end IMO.

Throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Coniglio and if that means this year's first round pick and next year's as well then I'd do it....you know exactly what you're getting....a strong inside/oustide midfielder who's shown he can also kick goals...and still relatively young.

Reply #186
It's an indictment on how poor Kennedy and Lang have been, albeit missing games with injuries too. They were recruited for that bigger bodied midfield role and have done absolutely SFA and will be lucky to survive the cull at year-end IMO.

Throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Coniglio and if that means this year's first round pick and next year's as well then I'd do it....you know exactly what you're getting....a strong inside/oustide midfielder who's shown he can also kick goals...and still relatively young.

Coniglio is a restricted free agent so we just have to make him an offer he can't refuse ... and convince him that we're on track for a top four finish in the near future.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #187
My bad DJC....I wasn't sure if it was end of this year or next year. So yes, make an offer he'll find hard to refuse and, as you say, show him why there's more upside in the future than say a Hawthorn where's he rumoured to be opting for.

Reply #188
Dow reminds me of Judd, who BTW also had abysmal disposal.
If Dow can keep developing and find the ball as much as Judd did, he will be ok. i am not concerned about him.
I had big concerns around LOB. He went pretty well in the last game, he had some good possessions and used the ball reasonably well. I doubt he will be a world beater, but he will be a good AFL footballer. He is the type of guy that at any other club he would be playing in the 2s and likely wouldnt have been considered for a senior game at this point, but he is at Carlton and we aren't blessed with depth and he has shown improvement and definitely heart.

Reply #189
Dow reminds me of Judd, who BTW also had abysmal disposal.
If Dow can keep developing and find the ball as much as Judd did, he will be ok. i am not concerned about him.
I had big concerns around LOB. He went pretty well in the last game, he had some good possessions and used the ball reasonably well. I doubt he will be a world beater, but he will be a good AFL footballer. He is the type of guy that at any other club he would be playing in the 2s and likely wouldnt have been considered for a senior game at this point, but he is at Carlton and we aren't blessed with depth and he has shown improvement and definitely heart.

Judd's disposal was A ok until injury hit....and it was always better than Paddy's - which has become laughably bad sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #190
Agreed, Dow's go is to be the man in the middle sweeper, he needs to get in between Cripps/Setterfield and whoever we have working outside the stoppage. Dow to receive then burst and dish off to whoever we have passing to break open the stoppage. We need him using those first 3 to 5 steps to buy the outside runners time and space to use the ball better. At the moment we have SPS and Fisher being the sweeper roles, and handing off to Dow and others, I think that is back to front because Dow was never a great ball user!

We rotate a completely new set of mids through the midfield at every centre bounce.

I don't think we're in a position to do that. If I were coach I'd pick our best 3 mids and have them go with Kreuzer for 85%+ of the centre bounces. They can push into other positions afterwards.

Kreuzer / Cripps / Curnow / Dow.

If that's our best then let them do the centre bounces from now on.

We've had SOS, Cunningham, SPS, Fisher, Setterfield, etc. all rotating through regularly. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply #191
Judd's disposal was A ok until injury hit....and it was always better than Paddy's - which has become laughably bad sadly.

Agree - though Judd's was never top notch.

Dow is playing like he needs a rest in the 2s to get his mojo back.

Reply #192
Agree - though Judd's was never top notch.

Dow is playing like he needs a rest in the 2s to get his mojo back.

I'd like them in the 2s just to have a break from playing seniors. So many young blokes are bearing the brunt in the midfield long before their time. Takes a toll after a while.

Like to see Harry have more of a run on the ball too. Just for now staying up forward with the best defender on him is stifling him. More of a run on the ball allows him to just run around and get his hands on it. Can only help him.

Reply #193
Harry needs to seriously improve his ruck work before he gets more time on ball. Hopefully that will develop nicely over the next 12 months (I'm sure he's doing plenty at training because we need him to be able to play that role)

Reply #194
Harry needs to seriously improve his ruck work before he gets more time on ball. Hopefully that will develop nicely over the next 12 months (I'm sure he's doing plenty at training because we need him to be able to play that role)

6-7 min a qtr will help. You can win clearances to a losing ruck. What we lose in the ruck will more than balance by increasing his confidence.