Skip to main content
Topic: AFL 1st Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne Post Game Prognostications (Read 27921 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL 1st Semi Final Carlton vs Melbourne Post Game Prognostications

Reply #136
Anyone know what the "Sheriff" is in reference to?

It's from his Fremantle days.
He went to Rory Lobb's western themed birthday party dressed as a sherriff.
The name stuck.

Reply #137
It's from his Fremantle days.
He went to Rory Lobb's western themed birthday party dressed as a sherriff.
The name stuck.

I’m impressed that you know that Lods … but also just a little concerned 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
I’m impressed that you know that Lods … but also just a little concerned 🙂

Nothing sinister. ;)
I wondered about it myself...so I looked it up. :)

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/1145853/how-acres-became-freos-sherriff

It seems the "Sherriff" got a bit carried away with his role. ;D

Reply #139
Check 1:50 to go, Cripps kicks a looper into the forward line. Acres with a bung shoulder goes front on to Lever and gets poleaxed for about the 15th time.  50 secs later, with bung shoulder, takes a saving mark and kicks the winning goal. Don't tell me that won't be on high rotation at the review. Courage wins finals, snipers don't.

After Doc took the contested mark, with a bung shoulder, to get the fowrard entry........ just fckn amazing!!!

Reply #140
I'm with Shawny. Footy is so much easier when you're s-hit...haha.

ive never felt so nervous before a game - felt bl00dy silly, not as if i was playing or anything.  but, you could sense it, in the ground, in all the bars pre-match, all baggers supporters were on their toes and edgy.  even during the match, it was too close to enjoy the whole 2nd half (except after the Blacres goal, when all the tension was released).  

a mate i was going to meet up with in one of the bars, after the match, was a no-show.  he msgd me to tell me he just had to go home and have some quiet time, as he was emotionally cooked

Reply #141
Another that just has my full respect is Saad, it’s so rare he stuffs it up and his kicks are usually razor perfect 👌🏼

He is so clean.  In a match where everyone was fumbling and the pressure was huge, he was so sure every time he went near it

Reply #142
Nothing sinister. ;)
I wondered about it myself...so I looked it up. :)

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/1145853/how-acres-became-freos-sherriff

It seems the "Sherriff" got a bit carried away with his role. ;D

Concerned that you know Lods 😇
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #143
Great that we won but my concern we won because melbourne didnt take there multiple chances ,feeling i have is that melb lost it and we didnt win it . Our game plan style needs to change for any chance against lions.

Reply #144
They has 1 more inside 50. Harry would have made a big difference.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #145
Great that we won but my concern we won because melbourne didnt take there multiple chances ,feeling i have is that melb lost it and we didnt win it…………….

I tend to agree.

Reply #146
Great that we won but my concern we won because melbourne didnt take there multiple chances ,feeling i have is that melb lost it and we didnt win it . Our game plan style needs to change for any chance against lions.

We've won 11 out of the last 12 with that game plan.  It's not changing.

Both defences were on top but we won because our forward structures and transition stood up better.  We had 52 inside 50s to their 53 but 10 goal assists to their seven.  As a result, we got better looks at goal and made the most of them.

With Harry and Jack Martin back in our forward line, we get more scoring options and Brisbane's defence will be stretched.

Reply #147
Melbourne had 1 more I50, 1 more mark I50, and 8 more scoring shots, and lost by 2 points. They took more marks, more marks I50, and more contested marks. Their kicking for goal is a real problem.

We had 7 more free kicks, lost the clearances, and had 10 more turnovers. Even Voss was surprised we won.

Reply #148
Melbourne had 1 more I50, 1 more mark I50, and 8 more scoring shots, and lost by 2 points. They took more marks, more marks I50, and more contested marks. Their kicking for goal is a real problem.

We had 7 more free kicks, lost the clearances, and had 10 more turnovers. Even Voss was surprised we won.

It's not their kicking for goal.  It's how they got the ball inside 50, where they took their shots from, their chains of possession and the pressure that we applied.  64 tackles to 49 explains the free kick discrepancy and the perceived pressure arising from that contributes to poor disposal efficiency; we had 15 more effective disposals.  We dominated the centre clearances and that has been our main avenue to goal all season. 

We had more rebound 50s, more bounces and we gained 200 metres more than Melbourne.  Our run and carry was effective and critical.

Then there's team selection and tactics.  Hollands gave us a lift when he came on but why on earth did Melbourne have Schache as sub, and then not use him? Pitto and the King negated Gawn and Grundy in round 22 but Melbourne went with just Gawn and opted to not contest hit outs (we should have capitalised on that), and Gawn had a broken toe.  Gawn's frustration with Pitto and the King became more obvious as the game progressed and his influence waned.  Melbourne's focus on the man and their ill-discipined acts cost them scoring opportunities and created opportunities for us.  Finally, our close game scenario planning paid off - lessons learnt from last season and perfected this season.

Reply #149

you missed the part where the first 2 demons goals came from soft frees directly in front and they probably infringed more frequently with faux thuggery.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson