Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath) (Read 41064 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath)

Reply #60
Accidentally quoted myself  :-[

As there doesn't seem to be a delete function, I'd better think of something to contribute . . .

Kreuzer seemed to run out of puff in the second half.  An interrupted pre-season and missing the first half of the season wouldn't have done much for his match fitness.

It's arguable as to whether he would benefit more from a spell or another hard game.  Even with his poor second half, he still made a contribution and I wouldn't want to go into the Richmond game without him, whether or not Maric is suspended.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Good to see that we have some astute judges when it comes to Graham's ability  :)

He has certainly been one of the players to benefit from the change of coach.  I suppose that being closer to the players enabled Barker to see what Malthouse was missing.

Anyway, let's hope Graham continues to improve and becomes an integral part of a top class midfield.

I thought Barker was just one of micks spuds ?

????????????????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #62
I thought Barker was just one of micks spuds ?

????????????????????

I think many of us thought that NB.  Isn't there a thread about what spuds our assistants are?

My point was about the fact that assistant coaches are closer to the players than the senior coach and that may have enabled Barker to see something in Graham that Malthouse missed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Spot on. Waaaaaaayyyyy overrated.

Just a pi55weak lazy game from Yarran. If he's not carrying an injury he should be gone.

I think you're a little harsh on Murph, thought he won some pretty tough ball in there last night. Disposal is slightly overrated. Gimme the ball in the hands of Nicky G any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

TBF I thought Kreuzer was slower.

Simpsons turnover when he was coming out of defence was a disgrace. Curnover name says it all.

Bell is an awful kick of the footy. Great in pretty much every other area except the one that counts most.

Disagree immensely. Pretty much the only bloke capable of lacing out a pass inside 50m. Thought he was excellent.

Now, unlike Crimm 1979, that is what I call a reasoned  discussion. Thanks Carrotts

Reply #65
I think Yarran is playing injured, in fact if Cripps hadn't gone off I think he would have spent most of the last quarter on the bench. I also think that Johnson's job was to limit Murphy and while he didn't shut him out of the game, he did restrict his output. Boekhurst seems to lack confidence and if he could let go of his fear of making mistakes then he could be ok, Holman looks ok and Whiley needs to play more. I think Murphy leadership has been great the past three weeks and he has set a very good standard for everybody to follow. The Wood Casboult fiasco demonstrates to me that the side hasn't been playing as a team for a while now and therefore they are not on the same page. They have been better the past few weeks but they need to trust one another and believe everybody is going to the right thing. And this is not a MM thing. I don't think they have been playing as a team for about fifteen years and four coaches weren't able to change this. They are doing it now but they need to do it into the future.

He's  not injured Moon, he has other issues.

Reply #66
It's arguable as to whether he would benefit more from a spell or another hard game.  Even with his poor second half, he still made a contribution and I wouldn't want to go into the Richmond game without him, whether or not Maric is suspended.

My biggest concern with Kreuzer is that he isn't getting to marking contests, I don't know whether it's fitness, confidence or just a lack of football but it has always been one of his strengths.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
Hey I made the Graham/Mitchell comparison last week! :P

Hard to know that when I don't read your posts ;)  :D
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #68
Perhaps a too simplistic analysis but I reckon Springer was the difference.  He was fairly well held but kicked three straight from limited opportunities.

It was a scrappy game and it's hard to see the Bulldogs holding on to their spot in the eight.

I had Caleb Daniel as the difference, he came on and burnt us bad..had 5 scoring assists and seemed everywhere,,,agree on Stringer..thought White did a good job but the former made the most of his opportunities and doesnt miss many kicks for goal....the goal before half time was telling and steadied the  Dogs.

Reply #69
I had Caleb Daniel as the difference, he came on and burnt us bad..had 5 scoring assists and seemed everywhere,,,agree on Stringer..thought White did a good job but the former made the most of his opportunities and doesnt miss many kicks for goal....the goal before half time was telling and steadied the  Dogs.

Yes EB, Daniel looked like a seasoned veteran when he came on.

However, it may have been a different result if we had a bloke like Stringer who could be relied on to bag a couple of goals despite limited opportunities.

Reply #70
Boekhurst - Am willing to give the kid a break as it's his first year but geez he made some howlers
Holman - Christ, can't understand the critics of this guy. I thought he did OK
Jamison - Good first up after so many weeks off. Did better in one game than Rowe  has in three.
Touhy - Thought he played his best game for the year.
Tutt - See Holman.
Cripps - Good until injured as was Everitt. In fact pretty sure Everitt's departure cost us the game. Hope the injury isn't too severe.
Graham - Fair, with a couple of costly errors, but we're still better with him in the side than not.
Henderson - Just not quite good enough at the moment. Goes missing for long periods I can see him trying his guts out but just misses too many half chances to have an impact.
Wood - Terrible. Played so well last week but he was putrid last night.
Murphy - Just stop trying to drill blokes with precision passes. They seem to end up in the hands of opposition players more often than not, AND at crucial times.
Simmo - Was  a bit "Murph" like with some of his decisions and disposal, but SO many credits in the bank we can forgive.
Bell/Curnow - What could these guys be if THEY COULD JUST KICK.
Kreuzer - Battled hard, as he always does, but not a good game.
Armfield - Playing reasonably well BUT apart from the missed chances, last quarter, 11 point down, ball kicked to the top of the square, Henderson backing back, STAY DOWN you idiot! That one really p!55ed me off.

So frustrating when you see the same old skill erors costing you a game. Sure the doggies were  bad but our stuff-ups were far worse than theirs (see the Casboult & Wood comedy routine)
Do we really have to play Hawthorn this year?

And finally, Caleb Daniel may have had a decent first up but I can't believe a guy that tiny will ever make it in the AFL. Watch this space.

Reply #71
And finally, Caleb Daniel may have had a decent first up but I can't believe a guy that tiny will ever make it in the AFL. Watch this space.

Boomer Harvey hasn't had a bad career  ;)

Reply #72
Boomer Harvey hasn't had a bad career  ;)
Yes, but I think Boomer's got about 10 kg's in weight on him. Best he start hitting the carbs!

Reply #73
. I have to say that Graham was ordinary tonight, and a major weakness in his game was on display. he can't think quickly enough, and at this point in time, he doesn't have the gift of a football brain. In other words, he aint good enough and it remains to be seen if he ever will be.

Try catch a replay. Some of his in close work required a loosening of the pants. The kid has his strengths, we need to make use of them - something we've been awful at.

Reply #74
Holman - Christ, can't understand the critics of this guy. I thought he did OK

Agree. 11 possies and 7 tackles in his first full hitout after only 3 games will be a pass mark under Barker.
IN WADA WE TRUST