Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Post Game Excitement: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 33342 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Post Game ________: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
:D
He's a bit deceptive...just watching him you don't realise he's actually as involved as he is...
Today he spent less time on the ground than any other player except Kreuzer but still managed

18 possessions and 7 marks.

It's a bit deceptive that the commentators keep referring to him as Everitt.

They do look rather similar and have a number starting with '3' on their back.

Would also explain a lot of the man-love for everitt of late.

Reply #46
It's a bit deceptive that the commentators keep referring to him as Everitt.

They do look rather similar and have a number starting with '3' on their back.

Would also explain a lot of the man-love for everitt of late.
Talking about man love, Gerard Healy has a seriously chubby for Byrne. Two games I have watched on Fox where Byrne as played, Healy has pumped up his tyres in a big way.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Sorry. wrong thread.   ;)

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #48
So far I've liked Gorringe marking and around the goals. What I noticed today was he's clean below the knees, especially for a guy his size. He repeatedly scooped the pill off the deck and passed off effectively. Perhaps our coaching staff have a plan building up his box of tricks with a position in mind. Not sure what, but his athleticism and height may be difficult to match in the right possie.
Earned his spot for mine.

Gorringe's goal of playing as a midfielder doesn't seem that far-fetched.  The club's idea of using him as a tall half forward  

I still think he lacks the physical attributes to be a genuine ruckman but he is agile, covers the ground well, has good hands and uses the ball well.  He is definitely worth persevering with and I reckon he could have value as a half forward who takes a turn in the midfield and pinch hits in the ruck.

On the subject of pinch hitting in the ruck, Rowe showed some hops today  :o  He didn't get his hands on the ball that often but he was jumping all over Marten and West at centre bounces.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Some observations.

Walker been playing for 13 years, still won't do a drop punt when running into an open goal. has to do the stupid curl it around his shoulder, through his legs, up his clacker kick, and then cracks it when he misses. Has never learnt, and will never learn.

Nick Graham, just not up to AFL level. He's the type of player that I describe as being too good for VFL, but not good enough for AFL.

Gibbs did his usual, I have played one great game, think I'll have a rest, thing.

Kerridge was unimpressive early, but got better and better as the game progressed to be one of our best.

Love Weitering, no more comment necessary.

Gorringe getting better around the ground, but still got no idea at the centre bounces.

Ploughman improving.  Sam Doc, should get All Australian.

Now, I take into account the fact that they played out of their skins last week and there was a six day turnaround. I also take into account that playing at Etihad on what is a harder surface than the MCG, takes it out of players legs.

Notwithstanding all of that, they played like Millionaires in the last half, particularly in the last quarter. It should have been a 10 goal win which is about Brisbanes average losing margin this year. But it was a 38 point win, because they stuffed around with thoughtless play and stupid handball.

Frankly, it was sickening to watch.

Judging by Bolts understated comments at the Press conference, he is fully aware that what they produced particularly in the last quarter against a very ordinary team was not acceptable.

Let's just imagine for a moment that we are equal on points with another team after the last round. How are we going to feel if we finish 9th, but would have made the 8 had we kicked another 4 goals, or prevented Brisbane from scoring 4 goals in the last quarter as they did.

It was lazy, unacceptable football, reminiscent of the, dare I say it, Malthouse era.

As Bolts says, we are on a journey, and it is a continual learning process.

Lets hope that Bolton and the coaching staff can rid the players of this lazy type of play just because they think that they have a team on toast.

They have no better example than the way North dismantled Richmond on Friday night. Yes, Richmond had 3 down, but North put the screws in, and never let up, gaining a 70 point win.

That's what we should have done today.

Lets hope that the 7 day break and playing at 4.00 p.m. sees them coming out hard and tough and relentless against St. Kilda next week.

Almost forgot. LOVE BYRNE!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #50
Does this age crap that you are all going about matter ???????

North supposedly have the oldest average side in the league, and are sitting comfortably on top of the ladder.

What should we do??? Dump everyone over 28 and get a whole lot of whatevers under 20????. Will that make us a final 4 side?

talk about things that matter!!!

There is a strong correlation between average age and ladder position and North is living proof of that.  However, you're right about average age not being all that important to our finals chances.

It does matter that we only have five players aged 20 and 21 and it will matter more in years to come.  I imagine that SOS will be looking to address that over the next few trade periods.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I went along today and Brisbane were woeful, they lack leadership and their skill level is pitiful, we managed to live off their turnovers and the goals we created were mainly due to their poor manning up where we ran the ball and got the overlap and players like Lamb ended up with uncontested marks in the forward 50.
Brisbane had their chances but were poor in front of goal and if we were playing anyone with a reasonable forward line we could have been in trouble....

Smashed in the middle IMO and losing Kruezer didnt help...how Rockcliff got 48 possies is beyond me, he didnt seem to get that much ball...I thought Robbo was ordinary too but then read he had 25 possies......not that he did any damage..

We over used the ball by hand and refused to kick the ball when that was the best option...the one area where we dominated was tackling..we hunted Brisbane down and many times went unrewarded by the umpires who were terrible most of the day.....

We get a lot of kicks smothered, or up in the air kicks by getting too close to the man on the mark....Weitering excepted..his ball use by hand and foot is always good and
when the ball is in his hands you feel safe and he was my BOG...14 marks as well..

Kerridge is a good footballer but turns the ball over too much and chooses poor options, great work rate but needs to think about his disposal more....

Everitt was the bad Everitt today.....

Walker seemed to attack the ball ok but had little impact..

The Boult couldnt get his hands on too many marks and in fact Gorringe was probably our best contested marking tall today....MK while he was on did a Hampson and had his hands in the wrong position most times...

Gibbs ...not many possies but did lay some good tackles...

Cripps ...good but Rockcliffs numbers made our mans efforts less impressive...

Simpson...cheated off his man most of the game but the Lions could never move the ball quick enough to catch him out and he rebounded the ball with ease...

Rowe..ok down back, no good in the ruck and kicked a handy goal down forward....pass

Armfield...very good again..

Lamb....good, converted well and played smart today....

Wright....always handy and safe with the ball....got caught once only  from memory.

Daisy..didnt see much of him

Graham...disappointing on the offensive side, slow to move the ball on and his disposals dont hurt....but on the defensive side he did tackle well.

Byrne ..ran the ball well, couple of good marks.

Plowman..Good defender but lacks a yard and needs to get rid of the ball quicker...takes too long to wind up for handpasses and wouldnt be using him to run the ball out much unless he was well in the clear as he gets himself into trouble too easily...

White..didnt see much of him but didnt notice too many errors either...

Curnow...played on Rich and did the job, Rich can hurt you when he gets the ball but Ed had him covered including a nice kick for goal

Docherty and Touhy..both good and the latter has improved as the season has gone on..

Tom Bell....very ordinary..
Schache.....missed some easy goals and will take time...Weitering is light years ahead of him as a footballer and it was a no brainer choice....

Reply #52
Early on, I thought that the Gorringe selection might have been a mistake by SOS.

Not anymore. I reckon he may become a real asset. Not a B&F bloke or anything like it, but a bloody good honest foot soldier that every team needs.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #53
. . .

Frankly, it was sickening to watch.
. . .

It was lazy, unacceptable football, reminiscent of the, dare I say it, Malthouse era.

I must have been at a different game  ???

I thought that the effort, pressure, tackling, team defence and polished ball movement was as good as I have seen from a Carlton side in many years.  Yes the opposition wasn't all that flash but they beat us by 64 points last time; that's a 102 point turnaround.

What gave me a great deal of satisfaction was watching our defence set up and effectively create a wall that Brisbane struggled to penetrate.  The transition from zone to man on man was seamless.  We did get touched up in the clearances but that's understandable with Kreuzer off and Gibbs blanketed by Robbo.  Our pressure was so effective that Brisbane's clearance advantage was negated.

Reply #54
It might be a collarbone rather than a shoulder. I don't know enough about sports injuries or human anatomy, but I imagine a broken collarbone is less serious than a broken shoulder.

Yes, it was a broken collarbone.

Reply #55

What gave me a great deal of satisfaction was watching our defence set up and effectively create a wall that Brisbane struggled to penetrate.  The transition from zone to man on man was seamless.
Thats what I thought at last weeks game. The back 6 are working in sync and for each other. It is where it all happens for us, Simmo is the on field general who sets it all up and tells his teams mates where they need to be and go. Teams will soon wake up to this and he will be targeted. It will be interesting to see how we cope and react to that when it occurs. I suspect though that the little man in the box has a plan for that too.
Some of the criticism is a little harsh I reckon. Lets face it, we aren't a contender just yet so no point judging us as one. Plenty of positive signs but we have a way to go yet. I think at the moment a win is a win and thats whats important from 1. a confidence point of view and 2. Belief in the system and the hard work required. I take today as a good win given where we are at and that we have played with 20 and 22 blokes respectively the last 2 weeks. Key blokes also I might add, especially Kreuzer today and blokes have stepped up and help carried the load. The days of relying on one man (ie C Judd) are over, everyone rolls up the sleeves and gets dirty and busy.
Rest up now and load up with a new plan for the Aints on Sunday.
Go Blues.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
Club site says kruez will be monitored having been ill from half time, showing signs of concussion. So may be unavailable for saints.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #57
Tommy Bell - would have been disappointing if he'd have hit targets and made smart decisions today. Luckily I wasn't disappointed.

Gibbs was clearly still suffering from last week. Hopefully he's back to his best next week but to win with a leg in the air effectively without Kruzer, Murphy or Gibbs would be more pleasing than anything else.

Lamb gets better. Dennis had another good one. Kerridge was down last week but good this week and Weitering was awesome. Wright has been an awesome freebie and Gorringe showing improvement.

Have we ever kicked straighter at Etihad?

A lot to like!