Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 43078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #150
No doubt - the players talk to past greats, the players talk to fans (perhaps older fans), so yes, you absorb some of that, as you would learning a history lesson.

I don't get any greater joy beating Ess or Coll or the Tiges than if we beat anyone else. I have a team that I support, and I want them to play terrific footy and beat everyone they play. And that's it. They're all rivals as far as I'm concerned. Colours are irrelevant to me.

Gee, with respect, I don't get this at all.  If you start removing the big club rivalries.....what actually gets a supporter really passionate ? I have no emotion about beating teams like Gold Coast...or GWS, it's a job that has to be done to be successful that's for sure, but I don't & will never feel the same about beating them as opposed to beating Collingwood, or Essendon, or Richmond .....or Hawthorn (hopefully one day !).  If there's no difference to the supporters, why does the AFL bother scheduling in blockbuster games between sides such as Us & Collingwood/Essendon, Hawthorn & Geelong & the like ?
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #151
Gee, with respect, I don't get this at all.  If you start removing the big club rivalries.....what actually gets a supporter really passionate ? I have no emotion about beating teams like Gold Coast...or GWS, it's a job that has to be done to be successful that's for sure, but I don't & will never feel the same about beating them as opposed to beating Collingwood, or Essendon, or Richmond .....or Hawthorn (hopefully one day !).  If there's no difference to the supporters, why does the AFL bother scheduling in blockbuster games between sides such as Us & Collingwood/Essendon, Hawthorn & Geelong & the like ?
x1,000
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #152

This is exactly my point. If you're a supporter who buys into this, go ahead, knock yourself out. Rhys-Jones' comments were, to my mind, clearly intended as a rev up to the players, to give extra for the arch enemy. If they're giving this for the Pies and Ess, what are they giving when they play everyone else ?

For the supporters - fine.
For the players - iffy at best.

I celebrate every win on the merits of the game, not the opposition's colours. I would much more enjoy a win against any non rival club where we display such superior football skill, where you can really see players, coaches etc. who are at the top of their game, slicing the opposition to ribbons with meticulous and ridiculous ease, as opposed to some hackneyed, half arsed, limping over the line win over the baddies du jour.

Reply #153
Scoring depends on the style of side you play against and the type of game on the day and sometimes conditions too. Our two highest scores last year were against Collingwood (99) and Geelong (104). All games are played differently. In the end it only depends if you win or lose. They hit the scoreboard more than us but obviously their opposition did against them too as they have the same amount of wins as us. Our game is likely to be more defensively than they have come across. How much would they have scored in that horrible day against Essendon, who we beat and they didn't? In the end we have played 3 of the same teams. they did better against Richmond bit we did quite a bit better against Essendon and Sydney than they did.

Even loaded up with stats they were dead set terrible against Essendon, in the wet and we know what a dreadful wet weather side they were against us, and St.Kilda. Don't let the scoreboard fool you there, especially that St.Kilda. Saints were dominant. They got a couple when it was over.

In our case too, depends on the type of side we picked. We load with kids as we have a couple of times this year, then we struggle more. When we put more bigger bodies in we go alot better as we did against Essendon, Sydney and Melbourne.

I get where you are coming from, but after my somewhat rough analysis and subjective opinion based on a little exposure to their footy, we have Champion Data pulling out some stats that mean more to our subjective opinions regarding the Pies and whether or not they have gotten the results they should have, and lo and behold, they think that I make an extremely valid point regarding them not being as bad as advertised.

https://www.zerohanger.com/champion-data-release-expected-scores-ladder-dees-pies-ruing-missed-opportunities-11899/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Trade+Rumours

The AFL’s premier provider of statistics, Champion Data, has released a table that shows where sides should be on ladder based on how good their goalkicking has been so far in 2017.

The “expected scores” are determined by whether a shot on goal should be converted based on the league average.

So far across the opening six rounds of the season, eight results should have been reversed according to Champion Data’s findings, with Collingwood and Melbourne both losing two games they should have won.

The Pies should have won their round one clash with the Bulldogs by five points instead of losing by 14, and they should have beaten Essendon by four on ANZAC Day, rather than losing by 18.

Melbourne lost back-to-back games against Geelong and Fremantle in rounds three and four, although they should have turned 29 and two-point losses into one and 12-point victories respectively.

At the end of the day, none of it has any bearing on who wins this saturday which is what we are discussing really.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #154
Watched the NBs replay again and Jones and Daisy really were the standouts along with good progress from Kerr. Kerridge was busy but gave it back to the opposition too often, again! Be interesting to see our side for Saturday. Go Blues!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #155
Ch 7 reporting SOS out Daisy In
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #156
COLLINGWOOD
In: B.Reid, J.Ramsay, J.De Goey
Out: T.Varcoe (hamstring), T.Broomhead, H.Schade (managed)

CARLTON
In: D.Thomas, S.Kerridge
Out: Z.Fisher (hamstring), J.Silvagni (shoulder)

Backs   15. Sam Docherty 44. Alex Silvagni 20. Lachie Plowman
Half-backs   22. Caleb Marchbank 17. Sam Rowe 31. Tom Williamson
Centreline   6. Kade Simpson   9. Patrick Cripps 39. Dale Thomas
Half-forwards   35. Ed Curnow   41. Levi Casboult 32. Nick Graham
Forwards   46. Matthew Wright   23. Jacob Weitering   5. Samo Petrevski-Seton
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer   4. Bryce Gibbs 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange   43. Simon White 30. Charlie Curnow 16. Billie Smedts
11. Sam Kerridge
Emergencies   14. Liam Jones 28. David Cuningham 26. Harrison Macreadie
In: Thomas, Kerridge

Out: Zac Fisher (hamstring), Jack Silvagni (shoulder)

Reply #157
Shame for the 2 kids. Cant decide whether we are stronger or weaker with the inclusions. Kerridge is terrible with the ball by hand and foot, Daisy appears to struggle at AFL level.
I'll back em in though.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #158
FMD we get McInerney again!! The guy is the worst umpire going around and was a disgrace last week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #159
Shame for the 2 kids. Cant decide whether we are stronger or weaker with the inclusions. Kerridge is terrible with the ball by hand and foot, Daisy appears to struggle at AFL level.
I'll back em in though.
Go Blues

We look weaker with our outs...Reid is a good in for them.
Kerridge is in the team to tag IMO, looks like we are worried about their midfield depth...
De-Goey is an interesting in, wonder if he might get the Mills treatment....our blokes can ask him about his hand and how that plastic frisbee must have hurt so much... ;)

Reply #160
Kerridge is in the team to tag IMO, looks like we are worried about their midfield depth...
De-Goey is an interesting in, wonder if he might get the Mills treatment....our blokes can ask him about his hand and how that plastic frisbee must have hurt so much... ;)

You are probably right about Kerridge EB, but I'm not exactly rapt to see him back. Hopefully Daisy has a good game, v. his old team especially.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #161
COLLINGWOOD
In: B.Reid, J.Ramsay, J.De Goey
Out: T.Varcoe (hamstring), T.Broomhead, H.Schade (managed)

CARLTON
In: D.Thomas, S.Kerridge
Out: Z.Fisher (hamstring), J.Silvagni (shoulder)

Backs   15. Sam Docherty 44. Alex Silvagni 20. Lachie Plowman
Half-backs   22. Caleb Marchbank 17. Sam Rowe 31. Tom Williamson
Centreline   6. Kade Simpson   9. Patrick Cripps 39. Dale Thomas
Half-forwards   35. Ed Curnow   41. Levi Casboult 32. Nick Graham
Forwards   46. Matthew Wright   23. Jacob Weitering   5. Samo Petrevski-Seton
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer   4. Bryce Gibbs 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange   43. Simon White 30. Charlie Curnow 16. Billie Smedts
11. Sam Kerridge
Emergencies   14. Liam Jones 28. David Cuningham 26. Harrison Macreadie
In: Thomas, Kerridge

Out: Zac Fisher (hamstring), Jack Silvagni (shoulder)

Happy that the only two changes were forced changes, and that the match committee has backed in the boys that delivered our best performance of the year.

Re Kerridge - a frustrating disposer of the footy, but I like the fact that we have another big body around the contest, especially someone who gives everything and cracks in again and again.

Reply #162
Two kids out, two same olds in.... MC should have been under instructions to pick at least one kid.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #163

Totally agree. 2 minders now - Kerridge and E Curnow.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #164
Liam Jones is stiff, you wonder what he has to do to get a game.
Thomas in was a no brainer but I'm not sure about Kerridge, they must want some muscle around the contest but Jones has been hitting packs like a ton of bricks.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.