Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC (Read 40243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 13: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs GC

Reply #60
i though Levi was the best key forward out there by a country mile.

Lots of heavy lifting in the first half. easily had the better of May.

His misses? Well, he wasn't alone and no doubt Sav will be in the case big time this week...he'll never be a great player but he can be a very serviceable player in the short to medium term.

Overall, we should have been up by 40-50 early in the game and it never should have got that tight.

But GC were in form and we pantsed them really.

Our back line is becoming the stuff legends are made of - General Doc with Marchbank, Jones, Plowman and the other general Simmo....they look so composed now (other than Q3 when our midfield went to sleep).

Simply cannot see this group losing to the Tiges.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
Agree...one of his best allround games and credit to him... I thought he might sulk up after last seasons trade issues but he has been consistent this season
and won us the game tonight...the 2 goals he kicked late were pressure kicks and he nailed them.

Give some plaudits to your man Daisy too...good last week and was good again tonight....

I think Daisy has been enjoying his footy a lot more since his contract clause was publicly eliminated.
Gets the media and 'supporters' off his back. Allows him to just go out and play and we are seeing the benefits of that now.

Yes, he played a good game. Kudos to most our players though. It was a team effort.

Only 2 players that were clearly below average IMO was Casboult and Williamson. The latter may have copped an injury, and is still a kid who will have his up and downs....and he was due for a down.

Reply #62
I still can't believe our magnificent run with injuries.

Byrnes knee injury from last season was replaced by Rowes this season.
ASOS if a few weeks (in the position we can best cover)

and apart from that we've only had the odd 1-week injury.

I can't recall any team having such a good run, ever.
Very good player management, as well as a great deal of luck.

Reply #63

I thought as a pure forward SoJ had them all covered, I'd say just about his best game so far. But I agree he doesn't and will never smash packs like Casboult does.

You have to ask yourself, why has it taken so long for our club to give Casboult those little blocks he needs to launch! Kudos of Wright and Daisy for those small bits of interference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64

Being the best of a bad 2 doesn't mean he was any good.

As i said in the in-game thread.

Name me any players (in a carlton jumper) that was worse than Levi last night.

Reply #65
Yet Levi had season high kicks and disposals. And not far off in marks.....compare that to the GC key forwards - Lynch or the 2m guy.....

Sure his 0.3 plus OOBF were terrible - and I'm sure he knows that - but he was very influential in general play in the first half and to a lesser degree thereafter.

if hr had kicked 3.0 we would be signing his praises..... bottom line is we have no one better to fill that role presently.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66

Better than Lynch or Wright. Easily....

but you keep up the bleat .....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
Silvagni knows where to lead... if he gets stronger he will be able win some 50/50 marking contests.

The Bolt and Charlie C butchered at least 4 goals between them... other aspects of their game were good, so hopefully we get a better return on the scoreboard next week.

Reply #68

I'll repeat it for you.

IN A CARLTON JUMPER!

Reply #69

Our Wright's 1%ers had Casboult covered easily, our Wright must have been involved in more than 5 Scoring or Goal Assists.

Peter Wright doesn't play for Carlton.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
We still have the best backline in the league. Take Silvagni and Rowe out and we're still out in front. Williamson got hurt late after a quietish one.. may be due for a rest.

Curly was outstanding in the first quarter in particular. Died out a bit after they moved May onto him but he'd set up 3 including 1 to his brother and kicked 1 himself. BOG at qtr time.

The knuckle head Carlton "supporter" sitting behind me bagging him bigtime for the entire 2nd half was hard to take... some weird units out there.

Gibbs was brilliant obviously. Reminded me of his game last year against Geelong when he won it off his own boot. Why only once a year? would be the obvious question but I guess he, Kreuze and Doc would be leading the b&f so hard to complain.

Can I just say... post JLT I had no idea we'd be 1 win off the top 8 at the halfway point. Incredible. Remind me (and literally everyone in the media) next year to completely ignore the preseason games. Load of bollocks.

Credit where it's due - a lot of theage journos including Caro I think predicted us to get 8-10 wins which I thought at the time was very generous but now looking spot on.

We'll have to kick straight to beat the toigs but we are back on the G which is by far our best ground. Poor kicking asides I reckon we're a big chance. I think we'll get the Crows the week after... not sure why but I have a very good feeling about that one.

Reply #71

You just watch his kicking at goal and that as it? Up the ground he was very good. Some of his marking last night terrific and and when he wasn't marking he was smashing packs in contests. He ended up with 8 very strong marks. I'd love a player to do that playing badly, imagine what he's does playing well. He is combining very well with Kreuzer on ball this year. On top of that there was that beautiful kick to Thomas in the first qtr that resulted in a goal. Then of course he had his worst goal kicking night of the year, created one turnover that cost a goal and dropped a pud of a chest mark late. He was very good and very bad last night. When you judge a player's performance you need to look at the good as well as the bad, not just the bad to support an agenda, for want of a better word.

Given his job is essentially to forward/ruck, a role he has played well in this year, we need another key forward to allow him to concentrate on that role. That's where the likes of Jaksch should've played earlier to help him out as trying to be the only tall forward as well as a ruck is a tough gig.

Reply #72
I like Levi and still have faith in him to improve but he was average to poor last night and his confidence was down....ball drop was back to its worst and when he dropped that chest mark at a crucial time I couldnt believe it.....owes us a big one vs the Tigers.
Probably lucky Philips got injured as he was braining Werribee in the VFL and you could have made a case for him replacing Levi....

Reply #73
Interesting round this week. Bar the Port/Brisbane game it's been low scoring and in each case one side shot out of the blocks in the first qtr then fell away later in the game to the point margins weren't at all big. In the case of Richmond they lost (hehe).

Reply #74

Are you sure you watched the game?

I'm constantly surprised at how completely distorted a view some supporters take. The guy was one of the most important players out there constantly smashing the packs and preventing intercept marks that looked certain - if not marking it outright.

Generally doing what some call the best young forward in the league who kicked 7 against us last time could not do. His influence on the outcome of the game was unquestionable yet you pick out a crap kick and a missed set shot and crucify him. Unbelievable. Seriously unbelievable. Go support the tigers if you want to eat your own at every opportunity.

That post was offensive.