Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 80076 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #90
People are living too long. This country cannot afford it. Seems that for my generation it's get to buggery and get on the best way you can, while the elderly are sapping our system dry of all its resources. Never met a more undeserving bunch tbh.

However, a lot of the current generation of geriatrics didn't have superannuation or own their own property... so when they retired they were straight on to the pension.

.....Which was funded by the taxes that were sapped from them having left school, often around 14/15 years old, because they couldn't afford to continue their education.
So for the next 50 years they contributed the taxes that provided the money for 'our' schools and 'our' health...and their retirement.
The elderly have more than paid their way. ;)

I wasn't having a crack at old people.

I was saying that many didn't have or opted not to have superannuation.

Now it is compulsory.

Don't try and get out of it now you young whippersnapper!

;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #91
while the elderly are sapping our system dry of all its resources. Never met a more undeserving bunch tbh.
Says the bloke on welfare  :))
Gold.

Reply #92
I'm really not interested in any specific political party but I've just watched the first episode of Keating on Iview. Can't wait for the remaining programs now - interviews conducted by Kerry O'Brien on ABC over the next 3 Tuesdays at 8:30pm.

Doesn't matter whether you like Keating or hate him, this is a fascinating insight into the mind and thinking of the powerful and of those who seek power - highly recommended viewing.

The anecdote I really liked was when Keating in his early days, incidentally whilst standing at the urinal in the gents toilets of old Parliament House, was approached by and then reproached by Jim Cairns for not wearing his Vietnam war moratorium sticker. Keating response was to say "That's the difference between you and me Jim, you're here to protest, I'm here to run the place".

Cookie, thanks for posting the info above . I just downloaded Iview after reading your post, have scrolled through trying to find the keating interview but can't find it. What's the name of the program ?. I've looked through the 4 corners stuff and can't find. Any assistance on how to find the relevant program (name) would be greatly appreciated.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #93
I'm really not interested in any specific political party but I've just watched the first episode of Keating on Iview. Can't wait for the remaining programs now - interviews conducted by Kerry O'Brien on ABC over the next 3 Tuesdays at 8:30pm.

Doesn't matter whether you like Keating or hate him, this is a fascinating insight into the mind and thinking of the powerful and of those who seek power - highly recommended viewing.

The anecdote I really liked was when Keating in his early days, incidentally whilst standing at the urinal in the gents toilets of old Parliament House, was approached by and then reproached by Jim Cairns for not wearing his Vietnam war moratorium sticker. Keating response was to say "That's the difference between you and me Jim, you're here to protest, I'm here to run the place".

Cookie, thanks for posting the info above . I just downloaded Iview after reading your post, have scrolled through trying to find the keating interview but can't find it. What's the name of the program ?. I've looked through the 4 corners stuff and can't find. Any assistance on how to find the relevant program (name) would be greatly appreciated.

disregard above post Cookie........ Found it   :)

The show must go on..!!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #94

disregard above post Cookie........ Found it   :)

The show must go on..!!!

Enjoy!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #95
When the leader and Chief of the Executive branch of government, protector of the Commonwealth of Australia states while in office that she is an advocate of a republic, then she is already acting in the capacity of President rather than a representative of the Monarch of England..it's time we ended this charade and formalized our independence.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/governorgeneral-quentin-bryce-comes-out-in-support-of-a-republic-gay-marriage-20131122-2y1kx.html

― Mark Twain

Reply #96
When the leader and Chief of the Executive branch of government, protector of the Commonwealth of Australia states while in office that she is an advocate of a republic, then she is already acting in the capacity of President rather than a representative of the Monarch of England..it's time we ended this charade and formalized our independence.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/governorgeneral-quentin-bryce-comes-out-in-support-of-a-republic-gay-marriage-20131122-2y1kx.html

Hear, hear!

There is speculation the GG has lit the fuse to enable her to be replaced by the government. She is embarrassed by the current events and does not want a legacy or future associated with the pending train wreck which is Abbott's legacy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97

Hear, hear!

There is speculation the GG has lit the fuse to enable her to be replaced by the government. She is embarrassed by the current events and does not want a legacy or future associated with the pending train wreck which is Abbott's legacy!

If that's the case she could just offer to resign....again.
They'd probably accept it this time
She's done a good job
She's due to go in March anyway.

Reply #98

Hear, hear!

She's done a good job

Resigning won't help the situation, the GG might have motivations. This is a test for Abbott, if he leaves the GG in place she gets a free hit at his policies for the next four months. If Abbott tries to sack the GG he is opening a can of worms.

This is about Abbott, his personal beliefs, methods and policies more than that of the Coalition, perhaps Turnbull has found a way! Fancy Abbott's bully boy tactics being undone by an elderly woman!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #99

Hear, hear!

She's done a good job

Resigning won't help the situation, the GG might have motivations. This is a test for Abbott, if he leaves the GG in place she gets a free hit at his policies for the next four months. If Abbott tries to sack the GG he is opening a can of worms.

This is about Abbott more than the Coalition, perhaps Turnbull has found a way!

So what do you do if you are Abbott?
He can't dismiss her....so she stays in place.
She can continue to comment....but they'll come after her....you know who I'm talking about!

You see the problem for her is that if she's not just the Governor General she's also the Opposition leaders Mother-in law and any criticism of Government policy will 'unfortunately' be seen and judged on that basis by many.

Reply #100
She can continue to comment....but they'll come after her....you know who I'm talking about!

The rumors are that after Abbott declined her resignation the NSW Right tried to influence her and that has triggered a response. Abbott's traditional attack dogs have a problem, Jones, Bolt, Price, etc., etc., because their traditional gray army of fans are bigger supporters of the GG than Abbott.

It could get interesting!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101

Hear, hear!

She's done a good job

This is about Abbott, his personal beliefs, methods and policies more than that of the Coalition, perhaps Turnbull has found a way! Fancy Abbott's bully boy tactics being undone by an elderly woman!

The GG will see the term out and the Government will appoint another when the time is right.

GG's can have their own opinion.

Reply #102
The GG will see the term out and the Government will appoint another when the time is right.

That is what I would expect Abbott to state initially, but if the rumors are true you can expect the volume to be turned up in the coming weeks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103

That is what I would expect Abbott to state initially, but if the rumors are true you can expect the volume to be turned up in the coming weeks.

Pretty sure she is due to replaced anyway.

4-5 years is the usual gig.

Wouldnt be surprised if it is someone like Angus Houston who is next.

Reply #104

The rumors are that after Abbott declined her resignation the NSW Right tried to influence her and that has triggered a response. Abbott's traditional attack dogs have a problem, Jones, Bolt, Price, etc., etc., because their traditional gray army of fans are bigger supporters of the GG than Abbott.

It could get interesting!

It will be...
She's been a good GG. I think she's her own woman and her opinions would be very much her own beliefs and not clouded by any connections....but you can absolutely bet they won't be portrayed that way.
Abbott will say the right thing but....
The 'machine' will be in overdrive on Monday. ;)