Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 5242 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Are we building the footy version of La Sagrada Familia? Sometimes feels like it.
Its a great analogy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
You say pick players who can kick better that’s a great idea provided you have players to pick. We had pretty much our stronger team so no more excuses.

You also say we played stupid and need to play smarter. Do you think our players have the ability to play smart.
I’ve been watching this list grow and I can tell you quite confidently this is the dumbest collection of footballers you will see and once you add in game day pressure the level of stupidity increases.

You can’t turn stupidity on and off nor can you quickly resolve poor kicking skills. You have it or you don’t.

We don’t.
We can kick ok when we switch on properly. We showed that last year when we near made finals playing with " half a side" most weeks. Missed by just 2 "chokes". Unfortunately we have a group not hungry enough for long enough so alot less care is taken executing. They either switch on each week or otherwise it is yet just another wasted season. Worse now as we have a side that can take a step.

Reply #107
We can kick ok when we switch on properly. We showed that last year when we near made finals playing with " half a side" most weeks. Missed by just 2 "chokes". Unfortunately we have a group not hungry enough for long enough so alot less care is taken executing. They either switch on each week or otherwise it is yet just another wasted season. Worse now as we have a side that can take a step.

As Baggers says the problem is also 'between the lug holes'.

Reply #108
You say pick players who can kick better that’s a great idea provided you have players to pick. We had pretty much our stronger team so no more excuses.

You also say we played stupid and need to play smarter. Do you think our players have the ability to play smart.
I’ve been watching this list grow and I can tell you quite confidently this is the dumbest collection of footballers you will see and once you add in game day pressure the level of stupidity increases.

You can’t turn stupidity on and off nor can you quickly resolve poor kicking skills. You have it or you don’t.

We don’t.

Its about picking players that can kick, yes, but its also on game day.

Its like the old, 'never let a ruckman kick the ball' type of tactics.
Look at the blokes that got plenty of the ball....and turned it over plenty.

Don't let Acres be the last one in the chain when he bombs it up without looking and it goes straight to the opposition. Ditto Cripps.

So start with limiting the players you want kicking the ball.
Then work out where players SHOULD be kicking the ball, and where players need to be in order to receive it.

I'm not sure if it showed up on TV at all, but there was a number of occassions when we were on a 'fast break' and had to stop and go sideways simply because there was nobody forward of the ball to kick too. All our forwards had pushed so far up the ground that nobody was left at home. How can we find a target up forward when there isn't a target there at all?

As much as we want players to chase their man and have an 18-man team defense, sometimes that is exactly what the opposition want as it means they can't get hurt on the turnover. So perhaps we are better off leaving someone back so we always have a target to kick too.

You never used to see Fev up around the wing. He barely got outside 50.

Work smarter, not harder.

Reply #109
How dumb are some of our fans, they haven't worked out that staying cheering and jeering loud and proud en masse like the Filth fans, actually influences the result!

Outbarracked by a puddle of old Fitzroy fans!

Maybe we are the why the team is the way it is?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
How dumb are some of our fans, they haven't worked out that staying cheering and jeering loud and proud en masse like the Filth fans, actually influences the result!

Outbarracked by a puddle of old Fitzroy fans!

Maybe we are the why the team is the way it is?
There is the unwritten rule that you stay until the end win lose or draw, but I can understand the frustrations of some of the more passionate supporters and not wanting to stay and watch the crap we dish up. When asked in his presser about fans leaving early, Voss commented that he/we cant control what they do. Yes you absolutely can control what they do in that respect Michael. Play better and they’ll stay.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #111
Brisbane scored 100 points total , and 85 of those were from turnovers, according to Cornes and Beveridge on The Round So Far. That’s a crazy number and surely at this level, a rare occurrence. I hope.

Reply #112
Its about picking players that can kick, yes, but its also on game day.

Its like the old, 'never let a ruckman kick the ball' type of tactics.
Look at the blokes that got plenty of the ball....and turned it over plenty.

Don't let Acres be the last one in the chain when he bombs it up without looking and it goes straight to the opposition. Ditto Cripps.

So start with limiting the players you want kicking the ball.
Then work out where players SHOULD be kicking the ball, and where players need to be in order to receive it.

I'm not sure if it showed up on TV at all, but there was a number of occassions when we were on a 'fast break' and had to stop and go sideways simply because there was nobody forward of the ball to kick too. All our forwards had pushed so far up the ground that nobody was left at home. How can we find a target up forward when there isn't a target there at all?

As much as we want players to chase their man and have an 18-man team defense, sometimes that is exactly what the opposition want as it means they can't get hurt on the turnover. So perhaps we are better off leaving someone back so we always have a target to kick too.

You never used to see Fev up around the wing. He barely got outside 50.

Work smarter, not harder.

One tall, one small forward in the forward 50 at all times.
They have to man up on them.
It's not rocket science...it's the bleeding obvious.

Or maybe just one really, really good tall forward...signed D. Pagan. ;D

Reply #113
Brisbane scored 100 points total , and 85 of those were from turnovers, according to Cornes and Beveridge on The Round So Far. That’s a crazy number and surely at this level, a rare occurrence. I hope.
I may be wrong but I thought I read Bris average 75 a week from TOs so they put immense pressure on.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #114
I may be wrong but I thought I read Bris average 75 a week from TOs so they put immense pressure on.

Wow. Really ? That’s crazy.

Reply #115

And we obliged by going to water, the symptoms of which are poor disposal, decision making and general loss of confidence/cohesion. Between the lugholes. As much as I hate to admit it - downhill skiers.

Needed, urgently: a relentless, disciplined, pro-active, ruthless, physical training regime. We play how we train... which must be nice and easy and not addressing the mental aspect of winning. Perhaps with the injuries issue the Terrier was told to back off on pushing the boys too hard and we're seeing the results? Who knows. But there's definitely a cog missing in the mental toughness of our lads.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #116
And we obliged by going to water, the symptoms of which are poor disposal, decision making and general loss of confidence/cohesion. Between the lugholes. As much as I hate to admit it - downhill skiers.

Needed, urgently: a relentless, disciplined, pro-active, ruthless, physical training regime. We play how we train... which must be nice and easy and not addressing the mental aspect of winning. Perhaps with the injuries issue the Terrier was told to back off on pushing the boys too hard and we're seeing the results? Who knows. But there's definitely a cog missing in the mental toughness of our lads.
Our form and performances mimic a roller coaster, steep incline, hit the top and steep decent, rince and repeat. Right now we are the bottom of the next incline. What we need to mimic is The Ghost train, a few scares along the way but nice and flat.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #117

Every week we see the same names pop up about who should be dropped. I wonder if they match the names of the players who committed those turnovers?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #118
Total Turnovers

Walsh 7
Hollands 6
Docherty 5
Acres 5
Pittonet 5
Young 5

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #119
Every week we see the same names pop up about who should be dropped. I wonder if they match the names of the players who committed those turnovers?

Total Turnovers

Walsh 7
Hollands 6
Docherty 5
Acres 5
Pittonet 5
Young 5

I don't generally keep track of which player commits which atrocities on game day, but I understand your point. I'm a little surprised seeing Young's name there, but the others not so much, principally because of the position they play. If you're a mid / winger / ruck, you're pretty much wearing real heat for 4 quarters, so they tend to have less time to dispose / distribute, and I would imagine across the competition they would have a lower DE and higher turnover numbers.

Also surprised not to see Cripps' name on that list.