Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45017 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Something I'm finding really strange is that there seem to have been matches this year when we've selected teams to "Go for the win" and other times when we've seemed to go for the "experimentation" or "development of kids " option.

You can almost pick the games based on team selection on a Thursday night.
I never had the feeling this was a "Go for the win!" game. ???

Reply #61
We have no issue playing and in-close, hard congested game against good sides. Physical isn't the issue. Mental might be another issue. When the idiot coach decides to play a zoning, offensive game plan, something we are hopeless at, in winnable games, then he has alot to answer for. He's not the man.

We contested poorly and were soft IMO and we lack physicality.....playing in close is different to being physical, our blokes were pushed/shoved and as usual did little back...when its vs a team of kids and no hopers like Brisbane have its embarrassing...
We have that reputation of being easy beats when it comes to the nasty stuff and it shows with the lack of fight....Cripps excepted.....

Reply #62
Something I'm finding really strange is that there seem to have been matches this year when we've selected teams to "Go for the win" and other times when we've seemed to go for the "experimentation" or "development of kids " option.

You can almost pick the games based on team selection on a Thursday night.
I never had the feeling this was a "Go for the win!" game. ???
Really funny you should say that , I had a feeling that this year is some sort of experiment year, similar to your thoughts. That would confirm the MC selections at times. Almost sacrificing games etc . Does it sound to odd?

Reply #63
We signed Murphy for a further 2 years. Let that sink in people...  >:D

We signed Polson for 2 years more too based on zero form...he wouldnt get a game in a high school team.....

Reply #64
The club accepts mediocrity.   Just read Josh Fraser's reports of the AFL  players.

The players show little signs of playing for each other.   But I suppose if they all know running patterns, everything is ok.

I did see Polson do a good thing in the first qtr - persisting to get the ball and a nice pass to Phillips for a wasted attempt for a goal.

Reply #65
Agree. I think he has another year to show some real progress.

x3.. Think he will get another year but if its another disaster like this one then the club will act to save the Prez, CEO and Recruiting manager......

Reply #66
The club accepts mediocrity.   Just read Josh Fraser's reports of the AFL  players.

The players show little signs of playing for each other.   But I suppose if they all know running patterns, everything is ok.

I did see Polson do a good thing in the first qtr - persisting to get the ball and a nice pass to Phillips for a wasted attempt for a goal.

Agree on Polson he did fight on for the ball in that instance but that was about it for the game....he just doesnt have the skill level or nous at senior level...

Reply #67
The big boss of football at our club, Board Member, one Christopher Judd loves to quote Charlie Munger, 'show me the incentive and I'll show you the outcome'. So clearly our incentive is pick 1/achieving another wooden spoon, as we are moving to that goal/outcome with unwavering commitment.  ;)

Seriously though (or was I really joking?), after qtr time we had losses too great to cover and a couple of passengers as well. We all know Marchbank is a glass man but you'd have thought he'd last a couple of weeks before breaking down again. We all know Philllips is a glass man, so no surprises there. And there are others. How come we are a destination club for the glass and chalky types?

Have we created a record for bringing blokes back from injury only for them to fall apart in their first game back?

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #68
The architects of this 'reset' should be getting very nervous.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
 If we finish with one win i'm guessing it'd be the worst season in our long, proud history.

Reply #70
Agree on Polson he did fight on for the ball in that instance but that was about it for the game....he just doesnt have the skill level or nous at senior level...

He's miles off it at the moment, it' shows how bad our list really is.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #71

To be fair to Marchbank, he had a heart issue with an irregular heartbeat. That's a bit more than just breaking down.

Reply #72
If we finish with one win i'm guessing it'd be the worst season in our long, proud history.

Long, but no longer so proud.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #73
To be fair to Marchbank, he had a heart issue with an irregular heartbeat. That's a bit more than just breaking down.

Agree...think Marchbank gets a pass today...an issue like that with his heart could be serious or career ending, reckon we can cut him some slack....

Reply #74
Bolton outcoached again.

Hopefully we're looking for his replacement now.

What happened to this most wondrous coaching appointment panel, that was supposed to get us the right candidate ? The first time in history we did things the right way ?

Mind you, I'd like to see Bolton get a block of matches coaching our best 22, to see how he goes. He's really having to choose some ordinary footballers at the moment - in fact, most of the season.