Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 40929 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #135
Question for mine is do Palmer and kerridge both get games at the faster Etihad. I'd suggest not and would like to see fisher come in and bring his buzz around the bubble.

Palmer was rusty IMO and Kerridge woeful apart from that last kick but I reckon both will play.....Polson is a bit more AFL ready than Fisher IMO but I expect both to play senior footy this season..
Got to be careful we dont over do the kids and play too many at once even though the temptation is great after Williamson's fine debut, but you can see why he was picked as he is a good size and more developed..

Reply #136
Nice to see one of the coterie members of the evil, anti CFC media brigade, Mr Lloyd, freely admitting that Woosha was out coached and the better team won - no excuses or nuthin'.

Reply #137
A few meaningless observations...

I know that a heap more footys are used in a game these days so they don't get as wet and heavy, but some of the marking in the conditions (from both sides) was top rate.

Bartel won't have a job at ch 7 for long - he tipped us to stay in front at 3 qtr time.

Did the wet weather help us by disguising the lack of kicking skill that we generally have - ie just getting the ball and kicking it was appropriate?

As others have suggested - BT you are very, very ordinary.

Reply #138
A few meaningless observations...

I know that a heap more footys are used in a game these days so they don't get as wet and heavy, but some of the marking in the conditions (from both sides) was top rate.

Bartel won't have a job at ch 7 for long - he tipped us to stay in front at 3 qtr time.

Did the wet weather help us by disguising the lack of kicking skill that we generally have - ie just getting the ball and kicking it was appropriate?

As others have suggested - BT you are very, very ordinary.

IMO, yes.

Reply #139
Palmer was rusty IMO and Kerridge woeful apart from that last kick but I reckon both will play.....Polson is a bit more AFL ready than Fisher IMO but I expect both to play senior footy this season..
Got to be careful we dont over do the kids and play too many at once even though the temptation is great after Williamson's fine debut, but you can see why he was picked as he is a good size and more developed..

The suns aren't kids anymore but I don't think they have a particularly big midfield that would trouble him. He copes fine in VFL and his style would suit Etihad.

I hear what you are saying but I'm tipping he will play.

Reply #140
We had SEVEN players in the side 20 years old and younger. Surely one of the youngest ever Carlton sides ever. Despite that, we still showed the heart and desire required to overpower the more fancied Drug Cheats.
I think the crop of kids coming through right now are the best the Club has had in many many years.

Reply #142
No. The more skillful players play better in the wet.

The ability for a particular player to adapt to wet weather footy may well be a skill, but the actual playing of wet weather footy does not require skillful, slick footy, by which I mean : integrated link play, pin point, precision passing, soft hands and making good position to take marks etc. These are areas in which as a team we are deficient, and they become secondary in wet weather footy. 

Reply #143
No. The more skillful players play better in the wet.

I agree, the clean hands below the knees type player in the dry is far more likely to succeed in the wet. There are many more clean-hands opportunities in the wet than in the dry just because the ball doesn't bounce as much.

If a player fumbles in the dry putting them-self under pressure, they'll usually struggle in the wet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
Bombres beat hawks and lions in opening 2 rounds. Looking back now they look like 2 very ordinary scalps.

I don't care who they play as long as it's not Kerridge. He was fumbling and turning it over even before the really bad weather set in. I'd rather watch Polson or Fisher any day of the week. Palmer may be better for the run but not far off the train wreck level that Kerridge is operating on.

Reply #145
Bombres beat hawks and lions in opening 2 rounds. Looking back now they look like 2 very ordinary scalps.

I don't care who they play as long as it's not Kerridge. He was fumbling and turning it over even before the really bad weather set in. I'd rather watch Polson or Fisher any day of the week. Palmer may be better for the run but not far off the train wreck level that Kerridge is operating on.

yet the bloke played in A Preliminary last year.

Judge him after a handful of games, not one....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #146

Agree...thought Palmer was rusty rather than poor, effort was ok after half time and I think we needed his experience, also expect him
to improve in the dry conditions at Etihad....

Reply #147

Palmer may be better for the run i said. I think he's worth another go but he wouldn't want to play like that again. He was ordinary in the preseason also.

Reply #148
Palmer may be better for the run i said. I think he's worth another go but he wouldn't want to play like that again. He was ordinary in the preseason also.

He looks a player but currently looks a little underdone.
Needs more game time.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #149
A few thoughts:

One of the more consistently ruthless efforts from all involved.

Great debut from 'Willo'.

Anyone else see the deft toe-poke from SPS to set up Murph's first goal? On the subject of SPS, such sure hands and terrific vision/anticipation.

How good it was to see our backline do so well without Simmo being heavily relied upon. He played his role, but others took responsibility. Love it.

I still prefer Palmer over Kerridge though I do value the effort and courage Kerridge displays... he just gives it to the opposition too often. These two provide so much important grunt that eases a little reliance on Murphy/Gibbs/Cripps.

Although their numbers weren't huge, loved the efforts from SOJ (coming along nicely, never out of the contest), Pickett (ready to deliver, I suspect - it's all there)...

Awful conditions for a player like Marchbank but he ground it out really well, likewise Macreadie.

What a ripper Matty Wright is.

My only negative is that Thomas must be on his last chance...

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17