Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38629 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #150
The only way we are going to acquire players is a truckload of cash and pick one in the PS draft.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #151
Our very own Miss Maven was keen on Taranto pre draft. I've not seen him play at all since he was drafted, but somehow I doubt the Giants would let him go, and certainly not cheaply. No 2 pick I believe, and certainly looks a good size.

We have to get over our fascination with high draft picks.
Smedts was a first round pick, Plowman went at 3, Pickett at 4, Jaksch, Sumner and Wiley were all high picks as well.
Other clubs cut their losses and we pick up the pieces.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #152
SOS did well for GWS getting Callan Ward......needs to do the same for us and get a player of that ilk and age..

Right now we need 2 x Callan Wards.
Hopefully Kennedy, when fit, is one of them, but we desperately need another.

I think Kerridge is a very limited footballer, but why he wasn't on the ball in place of one of those kids is staggering.
All he has is body strength and attack on the ball so it should have been utilised.

Reply #153
Been saying it all year he needs a rest during games but everytime he goes out of the midfield other teams just cash in and dominate us...
We need that Ben Cunnington strong body workhorse who can take over the grunt work and farm the ball out to Dow, Obrien etc.....
Kennedy was meant to be that player but looks busted up after round one vs tigers.....not sure why he has been played injured, its just another woeful piece of off field work by our brains trust..

Isn’t ed curnow the big bodied mid we need. Tackle machine, takes the pressure off a little from Cripps. ?

Reply #154
We have to get over our fascination with high draft picks.
Smedts was a first round pick, Plowman went at 3, Pickett at 4, Jaksch, Sumner and Wiley were all high picks as well.
Other clubs cut their losses and we pick up the pieces.

I don't dispute that, but we have a malaise that affects the entire club. We've tried 1001 coaches, we have more 1st rounders than GWS (and have had over the last 10 years), we've had expensive messiahs, dirt cheap rookie rejects etc., and we are still in a fug - both mens teams and both womens teams are terrible.

Turning this around requires a massive effort from the whole club - no point whining about Bolton, or Fraser or Murphy etc. One or two or three people won't fix this.

Reply #155
I don't dispute that, but we have a malaise that affects the entire club. We've tried 1001 coaches, we have more 1st rounders than GWS (and have had over the last 10 years), we've had expensive messiahs, dirt cheap rookie rejects etc., and we are still in a fug - both mens teams and both womens teams are terrible.

Turning this around requires a massive effort from the whole club - no point whining about Bolton, or Fraser or Murphy etc. One or two or three people won't fix this.

We need to identify truely tough characters and get them leading the club out of this hole.
We don't need thugs, just mentally tough people that will not back down.
Our captain is the weakest captain in the competition.
Start this process today. Make Cripps skipper.
Make Ed Curnow vice captain.
Any player that doesn't commit their body to the contest plays two's.
Make Liam Jones accountable for his man!!! First and foremost he has to beat his direct opponent before trying to leap over packs, and if he does leave his man he MUST impact the contest.
The one thing any team can give is effort. We need to start by become the best tackling team in the competition.
I don't mind if we get beaten but don't get smashed like yesterday.
We also need to start hurting opposition players when we tackle and bump. We are simply too nice. Richmond tackle and bump with intent every time. 

Reply #156
Above post x1000.  Like.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #157

The key is unity...but you only get that if there is a belief, by all, that the path you're on is the correct one.
And the key to that is a measurable or obvious progress in terms of individuals and the team.

Our problem at the moment is that seems to change week by week.

People want to believe and they'll grasp at the simplest positive sign (e.g a win over Essendon).
But results like yesterday are "one step, forward two back".

A concerning thing was that at three quarter time yesterday Bolton was fired up and gave them an absolute blast according to reports.
The players response was an insipid last quarter.

Supporters are one concern, but in the big scheme of things they're not the dominant factor in determining the on-field success of a football club.
Unity within the playing group is the important one.

Now there may have been numerous reasons for the lack of response
-the distractions of last week and the absence of the Curnows which is very important structurally.
-the injury toll
-young bodies just overwhelmed because of an excessive workload.

But the effort just was not there... and more importantly from Bolton's 3/4 response, instructions weren't being followed and that's something that needs to be looked at.

Reply #158

I think that we should look at our entire coaching team, apart from Stanton they've been too long out of the game in my opinion, but as you suggest that's only part of a bigger picture.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #159
I don't know what the answer is but I am sick of Carlton being a crap team. I just want to know when things are going to get better.

Reply #160
Paul...Can get his own footy and has elite disposal...I'd also be hooking into Tim Taranto as well...ex Vic kid and might want out....

and...Mitch Robinson....aged 28 but the Lions are holding out on signing him, wants 2 years,,,,had 20 contested possies vs GWS last week, 3 years of Mitch to look after Dow, Obrien etc.....

Now you're talkin'.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #161
@ Lods

I'm not sure what targets BB sets for the players to achieve Lods but if anyone/any group do not believe the targets set for them are realistic or achievable then faith/belief is lost and performance starts to fall away. No one likes bashing their head against what seems like a brick wall. Realistic and achievable target setting, other than the obvious one of winning the game, is vital and these targets need to be the right ones during this period where winning games is elusive. From all we've heard about BB I'm sure he is right across all of this but this week we certainly looked very wobbly and lost and he certainly vented his frustration.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #162
@ Lods

I'm not sure what targets BB sets for the players to achieve Lods but if anyone/any group do not believe the targets set for them are realistic or achievable then faith/belief is lost and performance starts to fall away. No one likes bashing their head against what seems like a brick wall. Realistic and achievable target setting, other than the obvious one of winning the game, is vital and these targets need to be the right ones during this period where winning games is elusive. From all we've heard about BB I'm sure he is right across all of this but this week we certainly looked very wobbly and lost and he certainly vented his frustration.

It's hard to get a handle on it.
We were reasonably good last week (was that just the opposition?) and terrible this week.
At three quarter time the game was lost and it pretty much was an unachievable target.
At that point you'd hope there would have been a reset..."win the quarter, keep it under a hundred".
Disappointing that there didn't seem to be a response...but in the end they were just overwhelmed.

Reply #163
It's hard to get a handle on it.
We were reasonably good last week (was that just the opposition?) and terrible this week.
At three quarter time the game was lost and it pretty much was an unachievable target.
At that point you'd hope there would have been a reset..."win the quarter, keep it under a hundred".
Disappointing that there didn't seem to be a response...but in the end they were just overwhelmed.

Just about summed us up - overwhelmed both physically and mentally from what I could see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #164
We need a complete reset.  We should demand a lot more as it is nearing crisis point.  Supporters want belief, commitment and the skill basics.  Can't sign on to a  program where one doesn't exist.

We need to walk tall, not crawl.